Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by duke togo View Post
    The solution to bringing back the marriage is to stop buying any Spider-man books. Stop giving Marvel a cent and let them know why. If sales plummet, marriage is back. That's all there is to it, but not enough people willing to make the sacrifice.
    For some people, there is no reason to sacrifice. They are enjoying the book as-is.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    For some people, there is no reason to sacrifice. They are enjoying the book as-is.
    No one is enjoying the book as is

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Regardless of having nothing in terms of reliable sales figures to go by, most indirect evidence indicates that this book is a top seller, variant spamming or not. You don't reach that status based on rage buyers, completists and indolent readers. I'm afraid that there is a lot of people enjoying the book. It's probably people who'd also enjoy stuff like Robot Chicken, Rick and Morty, Judd Apatow movies and anything with Seth Rogen, but they do exist.

Quote Originally Posted by fjmac View Post
    Regardless of having nothing in terms of reliable sales figures to go by, most indirect evidence indicates that this book is a top seller, variant spamming or not. You don't reach that status based on rage buyers, completists and indolent readers. I'm afraid that there is a lot of people enjoying the book. It's probably people who'd also enjoy stuff like Robot Chicken, Rick and Morty, Judd Apatow movies and anything with Seth Rogen, but they do exist.
    I hate (some with a burning passion of a thousand suns) all the things you've listed here, but I'm really enjoying the book right now. It's been fun.

It's probably people who'd also enjoy stuff like Robot Chicken, Rick and Morty, Judd Apatow movies and anything with Seth Rogen, but they do exist.
    Is hating Judd Apatow a thing now?

Astonishing Member

I never saw Robot Chicken or Rick and Morty. Stuff like Apatow and Rogen are meh to me me. The only exception is Knocked Up. The character growth in Ben (Rogen) and Allison ( Katherine Heigel) really makes the film work. Especially how he had to step up to the plate and come through for her in the end, and in the clips you see he got rewarded with her and their daughter. The exact opposite of post OMD Peter.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 09-21-2023 at 11:08 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Is hating Judd Apatow a thing now?
    It always was for me, but I'm probably generalizing too much. Several of his movies rely too much on bro humor and plots being all over the place to the detriment of characters, so it kinda fall into the same bucket as the rest of the things I mention, and have the kind of writing that's Wells' forte.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    I noticed it too. We reached apathy.

More and more people will (probably) continue to not care.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-21-2023 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I noticed it too. We reached apathy.

More and more people will (probably) continue to not care.
    That’s honestly where I’m at, and it’s helping with this petition.

If we get improvement and a better book, great!

And if we don’t… well, I stopped buying Spider-Man already, so the worst outcome is I continue to not buy the book.

I WANT to give Marvel my money. I did for decades and hundreds of issues. But I have a life outside of comics. They could cancel the book outright and end it on a note like Ultimatum and I just wouldn’t care, not with this status quo and these interpretations of the characters.

I want Marvel to make me truly care again, and I hope they do, but if not… it’ll be fine. The story would have ended for me ages ago.

honestly? DC isn't in a good place, but looks salvageable, Marvel? nope. Not much hope for Marvel.

Astonishing Member

So, it’s episodic? That’s a flaw?

I honestly like no bad guy sitting in the back saying “all according to plan” constantly. I just wish that the story itself was better.

We don’t need an overarching villain.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-21-2023 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

I honestly like no bad guy sitting in the back saying “all according to plan” constantly. I just wish that the story itself was better.

I don't think episodic, even Spencer's run was episodic at times and didn't always involve Kindred, it's just the quality is all over the place and there doesn't always seem to be a rhyme or a reason in the storytelling.

Spectacular Member

I do agree. At the same time, I think the status quo has a constant background noise of ugliness (when it doesn't fully come to the foreground) that creates discomfort if there's no indication of an underlying reason or an upcoming addressing. Also, there's episodic and there's spasmodic tonal changes. Going from Dead Language to a Saturday morning cartoon romp with the most idiotic depiction of Doctor Octopus ever is a bit jarring.
    Last edited by fjmac; 09-21-2023 at 05:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

I do agree. At the same time, I think the status quo has a constant background noise of ugliness (when it doesn't fully come to the foreground) that creates discomfort if there's no indication of an underlying reason or an upcoming addressing. Also, there's episodic and there's spasmodic tonal changes. Going from Dead Language to a Saturday morning cartoon romp with the most idiotic depiction of Doctor Octopus ever is a bit jarring.
    Teen Titans (tv show) turned these sorts of tonal shifts into an art form and the series was better for it. Lots of series were.

Honestly, I find it weird that people nowadays feel more sensitive towards these kinds of plots. What’s actually wrong with them? I like that Spider-Man didn’t become limited.

Spectacular Member

Teen Titans (tv show) turned these sorts of tonal shifts into an art form and the series was better for it. Lots of series were.

Honestly, I find it weird that people nowadays feel more sensitive towards these kinds of plots. What’s actually wrong with them? I like that Spider-Man didn’t become limited.
    I can’t speak for anybody else, but I just don’t think Wells has been able to pull it off on this book. The jump from gritty and somber to coloring activity book takes some talent that he evidently lacks.