Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

To put it bluntly, the mutants actually celebrating their 60th anniversary are the original five founding members of the X-Men. Frankly, fans shading them or this celebration are weird to me. Like, there would be no X-Men if it weren't for the O5. And, of course, I'm thrilled about the premise. I wonder if Gage's interview is purposefully misleading, and we'll not only learn that this story connects to Jean's miniseries but also that "old lady Phoenix from an alternate timeline" is really current-day Jean. I can't wait to find out!

That said, I also think the Second Genesis of X-Men deserves a 50th anniversary celebration. To quote Connor Goldsmith, "MAHvel, if you're listening..." Seriously, though, the second team of X-Men is iconic—including Jean and Scott—and they deserve to be celebrated. If Marvel is smart, they'll drop a one-shot anniversary issue for that team as well. Mutants, especially during this era, deserve all the love they can get.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Admit it...you're only thrilled because it's another new iteration of Phoenix-Jean featuring two other Jeans headlining the story.

It's the Teenage O5 (not even their adult counterparts from another timeline); the gawdfuckingawful premise (Good, Sane but not very bright Beast tried something similar with the same teens and look how that turned out); Land....That's a trifecta of faeces...Of course most of us will have an issue with this "celebration".
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 09-19-2023 at 05:15 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Admit it...you're only thrilled because it's another new iteration of Phoenix-Jean featuring two other Jeans headlining the story.
    No. I'm thrilled because it's the 60th anniversary of the five founding members of the X-Men; that's the cake. The Phoenix storyline is just the icing.

It's the Teenage O5 (not even their adult counterparts from another timeline); the gawdfuckingawful premise (Good, Sane but not very bright Beast tried something similar with the same teens and look how that turned out); Land....That's a trifecta of faeces...Of course most of us will have an issue with this "celebration".
    I'm sorry you feel that way. As some people on here and elsewhere know about me, I lean toward optimism. This story may very well turn out to be shite, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Everyone, even creatives, deserves to be given a chance to shine at least once.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Okies. If you say so.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Nah, I think Merc really does care about the story and characters. I know they like at least most of the O5, and IIRC they also liked the teen 05 saga for the most part. They also love lore and revisiting past story elements.

But yeah personally, I don't care. We got the Teen 05 fairly recently and they suck. Warren and pre-Percy Beast haven't getting much love, but overall we get these characters all the time. And I'm not interested in some story that will likely be divorced from the larger narrative, aside from some easily-reversible status quo change they'll throw in at the end. I get why we're getting something like this, but I'd rather have something that celebrates multiple aspects of the franchise. The O5 helped build this franchise, but they're not the only players who made it into the phenomenon it would be become.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

When the X-Men go back to basics and return to the mansion, I'd like to see the O5 leading the overall X-Men and/or running the school.

I personally like the teen times of the O5. They allow for "lighter" plots usually. Time was easier when the First Class happened. Power levels were balanced (and not over the top), so any of the five had their chance to shine in fights (compared to now, when it's an Omega/Goddesses fest and authors don't know what to do with mutants who aren't powerhouses), mutant hate was seeded in X-Men but not to the levels we see in recent eras. Also, they are the only team that really grew together (only the New Mutants and Young X-Men I guess can compare?), I don't see why have another take at the formation years of the Original is so bad?
    Besides, it's a one-shot. Also, it doesn't take away any spot that would be given to another team/formation?
    I can get disappointment from those that hoped for more, not the "oh, gee, another O5 story" people.

For the users that few pages back made the jab that the First Class bombed (hinted=don't stand the time so why we're returning to them). It's not that the plots were awful or what, it's just that it was very, very heavy on text and with a language that... doesn't work much any more. It's very, very 60s in writing - that's why modernization are needed and we get them from times to time. Because the team had potential but nobody wants to read the 60s comics.
    And yes, compared to later writing, the Silver Age X-Men pales. They started to go big with the powerhouses since Giant Size. You can't really compare X-Men post-Giant Size to the First Class. IMHO.

Besides, as Mercury and others said - it's the anniversary of the First Class. It goes without saying that it's the First Class that gets the spotlight. I can see why someone would like an adult!O5 issue (I would love too), an anniversary would be the perfect chance for a reunion with a plot that could highlight their best moments together or their long history, or work with a plot hole/unresolved plot from their times as first class. But... it's easier to work with the teens/original times: you can ignore current status and continuity... and go wild.

Now, the story might turn out to be unworthy of the paper it's printed on, but I don't get the hatred in advance. (if the problem is with the artist or author I can understand - it's the subject that shouldn't be a reason to complain).
    IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    That said, I also think the Second Genesis of X-Men deserves a 50th anniversary celebration.
    I'm sure they will. And I bet they'll get more celebrations through the year/X-Corner.
    Did we get a O5 Variants theme this year (I've been out of the loop with variants since last year)? You'd expect they would launch an O5 Variants theme all across the comics.
    Last edited by Hakka84; 09-19-2023 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    Besides, as Mercury and others said - it's the anniversary of the First Class. It goes without saying that it's the First Class that gets the spotlight. I can see why someone would like an adult!O5 issue (I would love too), an anniversary would be the perfect chance for a reunion with a plot that could highlight their best moments together or their long history, or work with a plot hole/unresolved plot from their times as first class. But... it's easier to work with the teens/original times: you can ignore current status and continuity... and go wild.

Now, the story might turn out to be unworthy of the paper it's printed on, but I don't get the hatred in advance. (if the problem is with the artist or author I can understand - it's the subject that shouldn't be a reason to complain).
    IMHO.

I'm sure they will. And I bet they'll get more celebrations through the year/X-Corner.
    Did we get a O5 Variants theme this year (I've been out of the loop with variants since last year)? You'd expect they would launch an O5 Variants theme all across the comics.
    Another reunion like the Astonishing X-Men Annual would be perfect. I was glad to see Xavier included in that as well since more than in any other X-Men lineup, he was central to the O5.

I'm fine with returning to the actual Silver Age era for more stories on the O5 then but I don't care for the time-travelling elements pulling them into the future. Mainly because I have zero interest in current X-Men so I don't like to see a classic period of the team's history being sullied by nonsense like this Krakoa. I'd prefer an ongoing book, like the First Class stories, set in the actual time period and no modern characters, elements, etc. Or something returning to the Hidden Years era so we could get more of the O5 plus Polaris and Havok before Second Genesis since that era is still widely unexplored. John Byrne said he could easily have had the Hidden Years series last a 100 or so issues.

Didn't Second Genesis already celebrate its anniversary a few years back? When they did a reconstruction of Giant-Size X-Men #1 with new artists contributing to each page and then that Marvels story of the "13 X-Men" (really 1 since Beast was included) in a brand-new story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Nah, I think Merc really does care about the story and characters. I know they like at least most of the O5, and IIRC they also liked the teen 05 saga for the most part. They also love lore and revisiting past story elements.

But yeah personally, I don't care. We got the Teen 05 fairly recently and they suck. Warren and pre-Percy Beast haven't getting much love, but overall we get these characters all the time. And I'm not interested in some story that will likely be divorced from the larger narrative, aside from some easily-reversible status quo change they'll throw in at the end. I get why we're getting something like this, but I'd rather have something that celebrates multiple aspects of the franchise. The O5 helped build this franchise, but they're not the only players who made it into the phenomenon it would be become.
    They might have started it but one can argue it became a phenomenon with the ANAD cast...not the O5 teens. And even-so I wouldn't want a one-shot set in the past with them fighting an AU ANAD turned villains either. How does that celebrate anything over the past 60 years?

They might have started it but one can argue it became a phenomenon with the ANAD cast...not the O5 teens. And even-so I wouldn't want a one-shot set in the past with them fighting an AU ANAD turned villains either. How does that celebrate anything over the past 60 years?
    Jean and Scott contributed to that phenomenon. And again, the Second Genesis characters are not 60 years old. That says it all really. I already stated that I think they should get their own 50th-anniversary celebration because they certainly warrant it.

As for sales, let's never forget this tidbit (from The X-Men Companion, 1982)...

Jean definitely contributed to the success of the new iteration of the team.

No matter how you try to justify it...Still wouldn't want that story for a celebratory issue or drawn by Land.

Oh... no. Greg Land and a rehashing. This is disappointment.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

sorry, but this storyline pitch feels sad, boring, and like a ChatGPT generated one.

I'm also biased and a HUGE Jean Grey fan and I cannot get over the fact how stupid and lazy this entire pitch sounds...

Jean Grey issue 1 just has told the same fucking storyline! I don't mind a story about the 05 but this book sounds like such a train wreck.

It would have been so much more interesting to tell a story about them in the present. for example a book where Jean, Scott, Angel, and Iceman, go on a hunt to take down Beast for good. Maybe remembering their first time together at the Xavier academy.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    For me the biggest issue is the time displacement. A story set in the past, or one with the modern iterations of the O5 would probably be a better story.
    I agree. I'm fine with seeing 05 stories, I just don't want to see more time travel. It's so convoluted and contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I agree. I'm fine with seeing 05 stories, I just don't want to see more time travel. It's so convoluted and contrived.
    yeah O5 stories that aren't them time-displaced creating a giant temporal paradox would be cool.