Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Would Superman's super speed give him any kind of help her.

Specifically in that he could think through hundreds, if not thousands, of scenarios and strategems in the blink of an eye while Reed is stuck with normal human thinking speed to ponder things over. Or comic book super hero levels of normal thinking speed.

Yes, Reed i smarter and the better strategist. But I've always wonder if super speed thinking would help in board games.
    The super speed wouldn't really help, unless you were playing a timed game with only a second or two on the clock. Being able to calculate a lot of times wouldn't do anything if you can't use all of those calcs at once. Clark has never shown that level of parallel processing and memory, and Reed definitely has.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Specifically in that he could think through hundreds, if not thousands, of scenarios and strategems in the blink of an eye while Reed is stuck with normal human thinking speed to ponder things over. Or comic book super hero levels of normal thinking speed.

Yes, Reed i smarter and the better strategist. But I've always wonder if super speed thinking would help in board games.
    It would definitely help. My experience of playing chess is that I got better at it as long as I could take all day just to run through the possible outcomes of making any move. The problem is that I got where I could think maybe three or so moves ahead. So Superman, since he's basically got forever to think about it, could think x moves ahead regarding every single piece he could possibly move on that turn. Meanwhile, no matter what Superman does, Reed just looks at the board and sees every possible outcome of every possible move from that point to the end of the game and makes what he thinks is the best move at that time. So Reed does what Superman did in one second without using super speed to make one second an hour for him.
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Reed wins every game other than possibly Checkers, though I don't know anything about 'reversi'.
    Incredibly simple game. You could be losing 90% of the time, but as long as you get all four corners, you win.

Reed would get bored immediately.

Luckily this isn't Superboy Prime challenging Reed. Superboy Prime would just get mad flip the table, then threaten to kill Reed.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Luckily this isn't Superboy Prime challenging Reed. Superboy Prime would just get mad flip the table, then threaten to kill Reed.
    You mean he’d threaten to kill him to death.
    Chief Curmudgeon

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Well played.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    before saying how cool he looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    Incredibly simple game. You could be losing 90% of the time, but as long as you get all four corners, you win.

Reed would get bored immediately.
    https://squareoffnow.com/blog/checke...20rival%20king.

According to a lot of sources, they are about equally complicated. At a beginner's level, chess will seem more complicated because there are different pieces that can do different moves. Yet the amount of time it takes to master either game, and the likelihood of reaching that level. are about the same.

Checkers is no easier to play well than chess. The game may seem more monotonous, less interesting than chess but playing it really well is still challenging. It's a matter of being able to remember the postions of the pieces and then analyze lines out as far as your mind will allow. Hopefully further out than your opponent! Any really good checkers player can play blindfold checkers just as really good chess players can play blindfold chess. In the end you're playing against another person who, just like chess, is doing his level best to beat you on the mental battlefield. The great checkers player Marion Tinsley was said to be able to see 40-60 moves ahead. One time he was observing the position from another game. Someone asked Tinsley what move he would recommend. Tinsley then took an inordinately long time studying the position. Observers wondered what was taking Tinsley so long as the good moves for that position were relativley obvious. Tinsley finally said he was thinking about how that game ended up in such a messed up postition, and that he thought he'd figured it out. Tinsley then, without having seen the scoresheet, correctly replayed the game backwards all the way to the starting position. Incredible! I doubt any top chess players had any better aptitude for board games than Tinsley.

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/off...ss-or-checkers

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    https://squareoffnow.com/blog/checke...20rival%20king.

According to a lot of sources, they are about equally complicated. At a beginner's level, chess will seem more complicated because there are different pieces that can do different moves. Yet the amount of time it takes to master either game, and the likelihood of reaching that level. are about the same.

Checkers is no easier to play well than chess. The game may seem more monotonous, less interesting than chess but playing it really well is still challenging. It's a matter of being able to remember the postions of the pieces and then analyze lines out as far as your mind will allow. Hopefully further out than your opponent! Any really good checkers player can play blindfold checkers just as really good chess players can play blindfold chess. In the end you're playing against another person who, just like chess, is doing his level best to beat you on the mental battlefield. The great checkers player Marion Tinsley was said to be able to see 40-60 moves ahead. One time he was observing the position from another game. Someone asked Tinsley what move he would recommend. Tinsley then took an inordinately long time studying the position. Observers wondered what was taking Tinsley so long as the good moves for that position were relativley obvious. Tinsley finally said he was thinking about how that game ended up in such a messed up postition, and that he thought he'd figured it out. Tinsley then, without having seen the scoresheet, correctly replayed the game backwards all the way to the starting position. Incredible! I doubt any top chess players had any better aptitude for board games than Tinsley.

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/off...ss-or-checkers
    I was talking about Othello/Reversi, not checkers. Sharp said that he wasn't familiar with that game.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I was talking about Othello/Reversi, not checkers. Sharp said that he wasn't familiar with that game.
    Ahhhh, it's OTHELLO. Gotcha, now. Thanks!

'Reversi'. Never heard that name used! O_O
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Well, darn it. Now, there's nothing to debate about.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Oh it's Othello? Well then that bit about winning if you get the corners isn't true. That's just 4 unassailable pieces. :P
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Thinking faster only really helps if one's scope of thought is sufficient to solve the problem (or its components).
    This signature intentionally left blank.