Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default Rank the start of an era: Wonder Woman #1s

Wonder Woman entered her 6th volume today with a brand new #1 marking a new journey for Diana. How would rank the launch of each of WWs new journeys that take the character in brand new directions?

Vol 1.Wonder Woman #1 June, 1942 - Marston/Harry G. Peter

Vol 2. Wonder Woman #1 February, 1987 - Potter/Perez/Perez

Vol 3. Wonder Woman #1 August, 2006 - Heinberg/Dodson

Vol 4. Wonder Woman #1 November, 2011 - Azzarello/Chiang

Vol 5. Wonder Woman #1 August, 2016 - Rucka/Sharp

Vol 6. Wonder Woman #1 September, 2023 - King/Sampere

Impossible to rank: Marston/Peter. Undoubtedly the most important but Golden Age comics were a completely different mode of storytelling. It's like comparing The Roy Rogers Show to HBO.

From there...

1. Potter/Perez

2. King/Sampere

3. Rucka/Sharp

4. Azzarello/Chiang (the red flags were there from the beginning, but it was a pretty enjoyable issue and the Zeus origin wasn't revealed until #2)

5. Heinberg/Dodson

I’d probably give an hon mention to the first issue of Rucka’s first run. Not a number #1 but it’s just as much as “new era” feel to it as the others do.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I have to agree with bardkeep that the original #1 is hard to rank. For historical impact it would have to be #1, but isn't readable in the modern way the others are.

1 and 2 would be Rucka and King for me, but I'm not sure which would go over the other. Both had me similarly pumped for the future after finishing. Rucka's had the great creepy atmosphere and the slow build up to the reveal of my favorite villain on the last page, so personally that goes s long way. But King is the more bold story that isn't cleaning up a previous mess. I guess they are tied.

It may be sacrilege, but Perez is #3. I love it, it's a phenomenal classic issue. But I feel like Historia and parts of Year One do what it did, but better. However, we wouldn't have either of those comics without it.

Heinberg is next. It's not a great comic at all, but I love seeing Donna, Cheetah and Giganta drawn by Dodson. The whole five issue arc is weak, but still was a fun showcase for the villains, and at least the clay birth was still in play.

Azzarello is dead last. Diana is really cool, and the artwork is great, but it's impossible to separate it from knowing where it will lead.

Retired

I got all of these* except the 2011 new 52 and the latest Dawn one. Still, I'll give it a go.

1. 1942
    2. 1987
    3. 2016
    4. 2006
    5. 2023--looks okay from what I've seen in previews.
    6. 2011--looks bad from what I've seen posted.

*I got the 1941 comic in the form of FAMOUS FIRST EDITION F-6 in 1975. I read the whole thing with ease, way back then. And that style of reprint was the best to capture what the issue must have looked like when it came out originally. This issue was great because it told the whole story of Wonder Woman and the Amazons and you got some other stories, as well. Everything was clearly written and illustrated. It never left me confused.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    For historical impact it would have to be #1, but isn't readable in the modern way the others are.
    I'll have to take your word for that. I grew up reading un-modern comics. When it comes to comics, that's my mother tongue. The so-called modern comics are hard for me to read and become increasingly harder to read each passing year. I've never learned the modern way of reading.

The modern approach for most first issues seems to be: throw you in the deep end of the pool and see if you can swim on your own. I can see method in this madness. By confusing the reader, they hope you will keep buying the series to figure out what is going on. This isn't a new idea--a lot of classic literature begins in media res. Jack Kirby often did this. But the difference is his first issues would usually give you some grounding, so you weren't completely up a creek without a paddle. These days, you don't get a canoe, let alone a paddle.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

My ranking:

I won't rank the Azzarello/Chiang version because that was far from a Wonder Woman book for me. I consider it the Earth 3 Superwoman's past before she turned all out evil and joined the Crime Syndicate.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    My ranking:

I won't rank the Azzarello/Chiang version because that was far from a Wonder Woman book for me. I consider it the Earth 3 Superwoman's past before she turned all out evil and joined the Crime Syndicate.
    Ya know...I can get behind this idea! lol
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski