Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I love Maggott having such a presence in this book!

I really wish Marrow and Dr Reyes were here as well - Marrow would fit right in with this crowd, and I could see Cecelia and Remy being all protective of the new kid on the block.

Man, that last page was metal as hell!!

Also I gotta say Gambit looks way hotter with a handlebar moustache than I would ever have thought....hopefully Johnny Storm sees it and shaves his off in shame.

And, yeah, that photo of Alex and Maddie from the Outback Era simply couldn’t exist due to magical shenanigans. I’ll give it as a pass as long as the story is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    The only comment that came to me after I finished was "Holy [redacted]!"
    I'm loving Maggot's characterisation, he's the emotional side in this dysfunctional triumvirate (Magott-Gambit-Azazel) and never misses a beat. I agree with Gambit being positioned in the middle and trying to be the "grounding cable" (stealing the definition!) of both the triumvirate and the whole team.

"I'm about the closest thing left to a founding X-Man"
    "Because your girlfriend left Archangel to die!"

Again. Maggot, I love you! And, with hindsight, I think the others will agree with you that they should've immediately jumped back to save Warren. XD

I'm intrigued by what Havok currently is. [s]The balloons clearly imply he's changed, but how much and is it temporary or what? Not this sure about a zombification, though. Could it be that it's just his voice coming off because he received major injury to the throat and there's no magic change involved? Well, only time will tell.[/s]

I agree that this book would have benefitted from having more issues: everything is perhaps too much packed. Nevertheless, the fast pace works, and perhaps it's better this way, so they can keep some mysteries. Still, I would've liked to see more about Warren's transformation. Especially from his pow - I'm sure it wasn't a happy trip he endured and psychological trauma (such as nightmares) and physical pain would've made for an horror tale and would offer enough material for an issue on its own.
    (If Warren will have a steady future after this mini, I'll hope we'll see this trauma tackled, at least a bit, and not forgotten as if never happened)

Anyway. On Warren, my birb. Holy holy holy. I absolutely loved the scene with the sun setting. I think it did good to portray the coming danger. And Callisto's immediate reaction helped in setting the mood - she's no woman who gets scared for little.
    I don't think there'll be time (or interest from the author) but a Warren Vs Callisto would be great, especially given their past. Warren here (and, really, recent Warren) isn't the same guy she kidnapped and almost raped. (and isn't the Warren she met during Excalibur either). Not sure Warren is in any mind to even talk to - likely he's but a puppet in the GQ's hands and can't even speak or listen. For what we know, he could be a glorified drone like the Archangel Betsy kept on the leash in UXM v4 - dead for all intents and purpose.
    Anyway. His time was short, but I think art (and reactions) conveyed how much Warren can be lethal and dangerous. FINALLY! It's something authors tend to forget - or play down a lot.

About the gold skull. Not sure if there's the actual space for a full head to be under it (especially the cheeks meat). So no mask, IMHO.

Poor Gimmick. First time playing with the adults, and she ends up with this horror team. Hope she'll survive the experience!

Oh yeah, Maddie. I admit I don't have an extensive knowledge about her. I only read Inferno, and that Sisterhood time when she(it was her?) resurrected Betsy. But I'm liking what I'm reading. She's clearly grey, and her morality is skewed, but she turns out competent and bossy enough to lead a team. I can't wait for when she'll be forced to face the other GQ.
    About whom. Is this the same GQ from the time-displaced!X-Men? Is this the same who taught teen!Beast magic or is just a case of similar aesthetics? (I didn't read Secret Wars or Battleworld or what-was-that-crossover-name yet).

The art helps in setting the grim mood of the series. I'm not a fan per se (how faces are rendered, especially Maddie's) and I like other artists better, but it's perfect for the title. Colouring, playing with dark and dull colours is the cherry.

Only flaw I can find is the confusion timing. It feels like barely few hours has passed since events of #1 (how much did Maddie take to save Alex?), yet I get the feeling more days should be gone? I don't know.
    I think that both magic rituals took the same amount of time, and in a movie the montage would have them play out side by side as to show both the Queens resurrecting/recreating their own tool/man. I think it would've been cool to do this even on the comic format, instead of telling the story in the Embassy first to then change to Orchis and the GQ.
    [Do my English even make sense today? Hint: No]

Me too!

Edit: Hakka should learn to read the intro/title page. So she wouldn't talk nonsense where it's clearly established that both Warren and Alex were dead at some point.
    I didn't get the idea Warren was dead - I thought he was just gravely injured. Now, things are even more interesting.
    Really great post and I agree with pretty much everything you said. There's a clear vibe to this book and that's something I always look for in a comic. I love terrifying Warren.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    And, yeah, that photo of Alex and Maddie from the Outback Era simply couldn’t exist due to magical shenanigans. I’ll give it as a pass as long as the story is good.
    I like to think Roma gave them all one exception photo each for when they had a day they were feelin' cute

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I had a discussion in another thread about this (which I can't find because I want to give the guy proper credit) but he suggested that Alex is showing a picture of a portrait Peter sketched/painted of Maddy and Alex during the Outback Seige Perilous Era. For me that is a good enough justification.

Astonishing Member

However was that an Outback picture or before? I only say that because Alex says that at the time Maddy was in love with Scott and he and Lorna were having issue ( when we're they not I am sure the Lorna stabs will chime in). That could also be a family pic when Alex was hanging with his sister-in-law, and Alex admitting he always recognized that Maddy was special unlike a lot of X-Men who only see Maddy in relation to Jean. Alex always saw Maddy as Maddy.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    However was that an Outback picture or before? I only say that because Alex says that at the time Maddy was in love with Scott and he and Lorna were having issue ( when we're they not I am sure the Lorna stabs will chime in). That could also be a family pic when Alex was hanging with his sister-in-law, and Alex admitting he always recognized that Maddy was special unlike a lot of X-Men who only see Maddy in relation to Jean. Alex always saw Maddy as Maddy.
    Lorna is a fave of mine but I definitely prefer her without Alex. I prefer Alex without Lorna. I like Alex with Maddie I dunno why. Foxe's characterization of Madelyn is a huge success. She is easily her own character with her own unqiue personality. Jean is so hugely popular that she and Madelyne can easily exist together in the MU. However it doesn't matter as Foxe deserves kudos for making Madelyne her own person and still keeping her history fall in line with who she is now. She holds her own space with her own abilities. Despite her TK/TP, she never mimics Jean and her dark magical adeptness forge her own path in the MU. She is a grey character trying to do what's right in this darkest of situations, despite her questionable methods.

Lorna and Alex were not together back when the photo of Alex and Maddie would have been taken. Lorna had -i believe?- been possessed by Malice for quite some time and she and Alex were definitely not a couple. Alex falling for Madelyne was easily believable and as Madelyne coped with catastrophic soul searing revelations that would have possibly killed most people. That was during the time Roma ressurected the X-Men and their headquarters was in the Aussie outback. Lorna was definitely not in the picture romantically and not on the team. Alex definitely saw and loved Madelyne for herself.
    Last edited by Cubbyboo; 09-22-2023 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubbyboo View Post
    Lorna is a fave of mine but I definitely prefer her without Alex. I prefer Alex without Lorna. I like Alex with Maddie I dunno why. Foxe's characterization of Madelyn is a huge success. She is easily her own character with her own unqiue personality. Jean is so hugely popular that she and Madelyne can easily exist together in the MU. However it doesn't matter as Foxe deserves kudos for making Madelyne her own person and still keeping her history fall in line with who she is now. She holds her own space with her own abilities. Despite her TK/TP, she never mimics Jean and her dark magical adeptness forge her own path in the MU. She is a grey character trying to do what's right in this darkest of situations, despite her questionable methods.

Lorna and Alex were not together back when the photo of Alex and Maddie would have been taken. Lorna had -i believe?- been possessed by Malice for quite some time and she and Alex were definitely not a couple. Alex falling for Madelyne was easily believable and as Madelyne coped with catastrophic soul searing revelations that would have possibly killed most people. That was during the time Roma ressurected the X-Men and their headquarters was in the Aussie outback. Lorna was definitely not in the picture romantically and not on the team.
    Does your significant other getting possessed against their will reallllly count as a break up though?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cubbyboo View Post

Lorna and Alex were not together back when the photo of Alex and Maddie would have been taken. Lorna had -i believe?- been possessed by Malice for quite some time and she and Alex were definitely not a couple. Alex falling for Madelyne was easily believable and as Madelyne coped with catastrophic soul searing revelations that would have possibly killed most people. That was during the time Roma ressurected the X-Men and their headquarters was in the Aussie outback. Lorna was definitely not in the picture romantically and not on the team. Alex definitely saw and loved Madelyne for herself.
    Oh I am a Maddy/Alex shipper(my favorite Marvel couple) no the point that was sticky was Alex and Maddy became a thing during the Outback era when Lorna was possessed by Malice but when they went to the Outback the X-Men were unable to be photographed or filmed so the timing of the photo was wonky if it happened then because they were "invisible" however I was just saying maybe that picture was either not a picture but a picture of a very realistic painting by Peter or a picture of them before they were a thing but were just in-laws to get around the Seige Perilous magic conundrum.

Oh I am a Maddy/Alex shipper(my favorite Marvel couple) no the point that was sticky was Alex and Maddy became a thing during the Outback era when Lorna was possessed by Malice but when they went to the Outback the X-Men were unable to be photographed or filmed so the timing of the photo was wonky if it happened then because they were "invisible" however I was just saying maybe that picture was either not a picture but a picture of a very realistic painting by Peter or a picture of them before they were a thing but were just in-laws to get around the Seige Perilous magic conundrum.
    Oh okay. He looks a lil smitten but I do think (!?) at that point when she was in that pilot outfit they were still friends, so to speak. Lol I can't recall if she and Scott were still married, divorced or she was considered dead by the world at large with the seige perilous shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Does your significant other getting possessed against their will reallllly count as a break up though?
    No that was a tough road and I hated Lorna being so utterly used in such a horrible way. I always wanted to see her magnetically send Malice's psyche scattered through time and space after that. In the long haul I personally prefer them separate, as each has been allowed to evolve far more.

I think they were broken up in Alex's eyes because I remember when Malice forced him to try to kill her in Polaris' body, knowing he'd be psychologically severely traumatized. There was also an issue where Psylocke tried to separate them and Malice FREAKED as she had bonded to Lorna so strongly that - as revealed by Sinister, who had intentionally told Malice to possess Lorna because he suspected they were so compatible that it would create an almost unbreakable bond -separating them that way would kill them both. That darn, at the root of so much bad stuff, Sinister

I think Alex figured at that point Lorna was Malice forever. I forget how they did get separated. I think something happened during Inferno or the final vestiges of Malice were erased when Zaladane absorbed/transferred Lorna's abilities for herself.
    Last edited by Cubbyboo; 09-22-2023 at 10:01 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Or Marvel doesn't care what he does as long as he fixes it all in the end. After all Marvel might not care enough about either Warren or Alex to use them long term in a big way.
    Actually I think the Marvel PTB do care about Alex because the writer Foxe commented that the X-Office came to him for an Alex/Maddy project. So Dark X-Men was created as a vehicle for Alex and Maddy.

Actually I think the Marvel PTB do care about Alex because the writer Foxe commented that the X-Office came to him for an Alex/Maddy project. So Dark X-Men was created as a vehicle for Alex and Maddy.
    Yep I like Jean and Scott apart and Alex and Maddie together. I keep typing Maddie not Maddy, sigh.

Glad they are bringing in Marisol, aka Creep/Flourish. She was a bright addition to Pak's otherwise middling Storm solo from the post-Schism era. I've always thought her powerset(plant/fungus control/growth) was cool, and had a lot of potential, as did her anti-establishmentarian personality, so I'm glad she's finding a place in this book. I hope she's not just a 'monster of the week' sort of role next issue, and continues on as part of the cast.

Overall this book isn't blowing me away(I just don't care for Alex/Maddy who form the core), but it's better than a lot of these FoX books, so good for them.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 09-22-2023 at 05:06 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

Will Callisto and the remaining Morlocks take up residence in the Limbo embassy? Will Callisto join the team? I prefer a freed Warren on the Dark X-Men roster, and not sure Callisto would abide Warren as a teammate after the last issue.³