Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Default Uncanny Spider-Man #1 Review *spoilers*

This is going to have to be brief as I am at a work conference and can’t post pictures.
    We start in Central Park with Kurt chasing the organ thieves on their bike.
    He easily defeats them and practices his Spiderman quips (not 100% successfully, he still has his German sense of humour).
    He’s on friendly terms with the local homeless Park community.
    An Orchis Sentinel turns up and threatens them, we see a pair white lips (the ghost Bamf, from here on, GB) say that they have this and suddenly, the Sentinel can’t detect him any more.
    The GB taunts him about Kurt ignoring the burnt out remains on the X-Men’s Treehouse.
    The homeless are discussing his Spider name.

Info page of a helpful Orchis poster about keeping NY safe from mutants.

Kurt and Peter Parker sitting in a bell tower, Kurt is eating pizza, discussing the fight in the park.
    Peter wonders what his long term plan is and is obviously quite aware that Kurt is not just hiding from Orchis, with Peter’s help, but from himself and what Orchis/Margali did to him.
    We get a flashback to Kurt as a monster killing people.
    Kurt is clearly pretty broken by what happened.
    The Ghost Bamf taunts him for his failure to help his friends and how he has to carry the burden of being a mutant on top of the killing, being betrayed by Margali and everything else.

Orchis Lab.
    Orchis are 97% sure this new Spiderman is Kurt/Nightcrawler.
    They don’t know how he hid from the Sentinel. The Lab is bein run by the old Spidervillain, The Vulture, currently experimenting on poor Feral. He seems to have had a technorganic upgrade.

Information page from SpideyStans web page who are try to decide on a name for this new demonic Spider.

Back to Central Park, one of the homeless from yesterday is trying to mug a jogger. Strangely, yesterday the mugger was a woman, now same clothes, seems to be a man (this, gentle reader, is A Clue).
    Kurt rescues the jogger, knocks out the mugger. The jogger rather fancies her knight in Spidey armour, but then her necklace beeps, its an Orchis supplied Mutant Detector Necklace!
    But it’s not detecting Kurt, it’s detecting the mugger who, surprise, surprise, is Mystique, last seen falling to her death at the Gala.
    Kurt teleports her away, while overhead in a private jet, a group of mercenaries, employed by Orchis and The Vulture, are preparing to land on a Nightcrawler hunt. They are led by Silver Sable, who on reading Kurt’s file declares him to be ‘cute’.
    And who would argue with her?

The writing is great, the art is superb, I think the creative team are having a ball with this.
    Last edited by Su_Whisterfield; 09-20-2023 at 07:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I might pick this up for the Silver Sable team up with Nightcrawler (and Spidey) and hope the other sub plots do not get in the way.

The art was REALLY good here. I’m interested to see what comes next so will be picking up again next month.

I will say that the anti-mutant rhetoric is getting tough to sit through in EVERY book. It’s one thing when it just Orchis being Orchis, but here you can feel how everyday citizens and villains that had nothing to do with mutants have all let their bigoted flags fly.

Also I think it’s funny that Spurrier tried to be like “this is a lighthearted book, but maaaaaybe Kurt isn’t as happy as he seems.” Like no, Kurt is obviously very depressed and traumatized and it was not subtle at all.

This was really fun! We were told the tone would be lighter than the two previous Kurt books and that's exactly what we got. But while at the same time there's the serious undertone of him coping with the reality of things in his own way. The conversation with Parker was great.

I loved the SpideyStans message board and how we were told several times how cute and sexy people find Kurt. The encounter with the jogger in Central Park was a highlight and I did not see the Mystique reveal coming. I'm glad it's happening so quickly and of course it's extremely interesting that Raven was asking, "Where's my baby?" I'm looking forward to understanding what's going on and what her head injury may have done.

Thanks for posting the recap, Su_Whisterfield. If there's any pages or panels you want me to post I'm happy to do so.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I’m posting the jogger page because it is a delight!

Last edited by Proxy; 09-20-2023 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    The art was REALLY good here. I’m interested to see what comes next so will be picking up again next month.

Also I think it’s funny that Spurrier tried to be like “this is a lighthearted book, but maaaaaybe Kurt isn’t as happy as he seems.” Like no, Kurt is obviously very depressed and traumatized and it was not subtle at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    This was really fun! We were told the tone would be lighter than the two previous Kurt books and that's exactly what we got. But while at the same time there's the serious undertone of him coping with the reality of things in his own way. The conversation with Parker was great.

I loved the SpideyStans message board and how we were told several times how cute and sexy people find Kurt. The encounter with the jogger in Central Park was a highlight and I did not see the Mystique reveal coming. I'm glad it's happening so quickly and of course it's extremely interesting that Raven was asking, "Where's my baby?" I'm looking forward to understanding what's going on and what her head injury may have done.

Thanks for posting the recap, Su_Whisterfield. If there's any pages or panels you want me to post I'm happy to do so.
    I really enjoyed this book! The art’s beautiful and the stories interesting. I am finding it more lighthearted and funny even though poor Kurt is still clearly traumatized and depressed. But he’s ignoring all those pesky feelings with constant hero work and do-gooding.

Mystique was an early surprise, I didn’t expect her to appear yet and it seems with brain damage or memory problems just as Su_Whisterfield predicted!

Loving all the attention Kurt is getting from the ladies.

I’m very curious about Ghost BAMF and its ability to hide from Kurt from sentinel detection, but also for being the literal poisoned imp of the mind on Kurt’s shoulder.

Aren’t you tired of being nice? Don’t you just want to go apeshit’.
    Last edited by Proxy; 09-20-2023 at 08:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post

If she wasn’t reveal as a bigot after this page, this would have been pretty cute.

Incredible Member

Enjoyed this first issue.
    I like that the reason vulture works with orchis is because mutants figured out how to cheat death and him being an old man and facing his own mortality he feels cheated.
    Also cool they used sables logo from the ps4 game here.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post

The question every girlfriend of Kurt's has asked .

Curious who the voices are. Kurt and Peter are both going stuff now. Mystique showing up and talking about her baby answers my question about how Origins Blue would tie into the current book. I wonder why Mystique was in two different shapes there, and whats causing this (getting free of Xavier or maybe the fall did some real damage).

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    Curious who the voices are. Kurt and Peter are both going stuff now. Mystique showing up and talking about her baby answers my question about how Origins Blue would tie into the current book. I wonder why Mystique was in two different shapes there, and whats causing this (getting free of Xavier or maybe the fall did some real damage).
    More inclined to think it was when she was fighting off Xavier’s influence, she started bleeding from the face. I wonder if this means Mystiques forgotten everything else at this point? Does she know who she is, remember Rogue or Destiny even.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I thought this was OK but not terribly exciting. I really haven't connected to Si Spurrier's Nightcrawler and overall writing for the whole Krakoa era which is unfortunate since I usually enjoy him as a writer. Lee Garbett's art was the highlight of the issue though, easily his best work so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I thought this was OK but not terribly exciting. I really haven't connected to Si Spurrier's Nightcrawler and overall writing for the whole Krakoa era which is unfortunate since I usually enjoy him as a writer. Lee Garbett's art was the highlight of the issue though, easily his best work so far.
    I’ve struggled with Spurriers take on Nightcrawler too but I do think he’s getting better as time goes on.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Lee’s art is fantastic, and the colourist is just fantastic too. Matt Milla deserves respect too, look at the colouring in these panels, particularly on Spiderman’s suit.
    IMG_3710.jpg

Oooh I'm glad to see that everybody seem to like this ! Cannot wait to read it too !