BANNED

Default the Cloak and Dagger show. what are your thoughts on the show?

I kind of watched the show a few years ago when it was on tv but pretty much missed out on the rest of the show. Thing is i knew who the original comic book was back in the day but i was more into Uncanny X-Men, Groo, Spider Ham and What The.

rest of this month im binge watching the Cloak and Dagger show on Hulu and I like it. its not that bad. Better than Black Lightning

So, what does everyone else think of the Cloak and Dagger show if you were a kid in the 1980s reading the comic book?

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    I kind of watched the show a few years ago when it was on tv but pretty much missed out on the rest of the show. Thing is i knew who the original comic book was back in the day but i was more into Uncanny X-Men, Groo, Spider Ham and What The.

rest of this month im binge watching the Cloak and Dagger show on Hulu and I like it. its not that bad. Better than Black Lightning

So, what does everyone else think of the Cloak and Dagger show if you were a kid in the 1980s reading the comic book?
    I didn't read the comics, but I thought it was a very good show. While it did depart from the original, I think they did an interesting take on the characters, and the leads' performance and chemistry was excellent. I liked how when they
    transplanted the setting to new Orleans, they actually made that an integral part of the adaption's story instead of just picking a random city so you wouldn't be wondering why, say, Daredevil didn't get involved.

It's perhaps not faithful to the original comics in text, but it definitely is in spirit.

I was skeptical with it being on Freeform but the show was truly great even on a low budget. The casting of the leads was impeccable and it was one of few Marvel adaptations that really had something to say. The show's dissection of privilege and how racial and financial privilege intersect was really interesting. I think the decision to make Ty come from a financially well-off background and Tandy from a poor background an explore what that meant was so interesting. The slow build of their relationship to where it became basically unspokenly romantic was amazing, the villains both seasons were fun, the journey of Brigid was great to watch and I loved the subversion of spoilers:
    the women in refrigerators trope
    end of spoilers

BANNED

yeah the original comic book, Cloak and Dagger were partners where they would also guest star in other comics like X-Men and Power Pack.

like i said, the show's not bad its just that they focus too much on Tyrone's family life being rich and doing fine and him being in basketball etc while Cloak is a young white girl thats a criminal sort of.

Runaways is also another show from years ago that i tried to watch but i didnt know much about the Runaways from the actual comic but the young characters on the show were children of former bad guys or whatever and thats all i knew

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

It is one of a only a few comic book themed shows I've not yet seen.
    I don't have Hulu. Hoping when D+ finalizes the purchase I might can get it there.
    I already pay for 4 streamers: Prime, P+, D+ and Netflix
    Not adding a 5th so it either becomes available on one I already have or it hangs out there.....like Justified.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Runaways is also another show from years ago that i tried to watch but i didnt know much about the Runaways from the actual comic but the young characters on the show were children of former bad guys or whatever and thats all i knew
    "Tried" to watch, as in "didn't finish?" Too bad, because they had a pretty fun crossover.

BANNED

well i just said that i never read the Runaways comic so i dont know a whole lot about the kids being the kids of former bad guys. that and the show was kind of dull in my opinion. So why bother watching the show when i never read the comic?

as for Cloak and Dagger i knew who they were back then since they'd show up as guest stars most of the time in original Uncanny X-Men and Power Pack. the Cloak and Dagger show is the only show that im giving a chance to watch through anyway.

Even The Gifted which is a loose X-Men where are they while other mutants are running around like Warpath and Blink. The Gifted show is decent but not great.

The Gifted show only exists because of the X-Men movies that and Warpath or whatever he's the only one that knows the X-Men while Blink is the newbie on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "Tried" to watch, as in "didn't finish?" Too bad, because they had a pretty fun crossover.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

well i just said that i never read the Runaways comic so i dont know a whole lot about the kids being the kids of former bad guys. that and the show was kind of dull in my opinion. So why bother watching the show when i never read the comic?

as for Cloak and Dagger i knew who they were back then since they'd show up as guest stars most of the time in original Uncanny X-Men and Power Pack. the Cloak and Dagger show is the only show that im giving a chance to watch through anyway.

Even The Gifted which is a loose X-Men where are they while other mutants are running around like Warpath and Blink. The Gifted show is decent but not great.

The Gifted show only exists because of the X-Men movies that and Warpath or whatever he's the only one that knows the X-Men while Blink is the newbie on the show.
    Thunderbird, actually, though he's Warpath's older brother. That said, I did find it interesting that the Cloak & Dagger TV series flipped the pair's social-class dynamics from the original comics, and I thought it was overall pretty decent at capturing the darker, seedier aspects of life that wouldn't get as much focus in a more conventional superhero drama, especially in the second season.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I never read Runaways either but enjoyed the show. Judged it solely based on writing, acting and execution just as I would any show. I've never read Joe Pickett, Jack Reacher or fill-in-the-blank-source material but I watch cause they looked interesting. But if it looked Dull then not watching was the right call. I don't watch cop/doc procedurals for that reason most times as well. Not because I can't relate to the topics dramatized.

Not reading the source material though is never one of my criteria. I've never read Harry Potter but enjoy that world.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime