Page 120 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 1876

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    A little late to the party, but it's something I picked up on rather quickly and found interesting. Now, does that mean the Ultimate books will continue this trajectory indefinitely? I actually have my doubts about this. The book basically teases that something is coming in around 6 months, so I expect it'll all build towards that. Whether it keeps doing that afterwards or ditches the real-time element remains to be seen.
    I don't know if they know at this point, and if they have long-term plans it could easily be changed if something else makes sense.

There are a few advantages to a real-time format.

It leans into the idea that it's been more than 20 years since Ultimate Spider-Man #1, so this Peter Parker is an adult version of the teenager many readers fondly remember (although in this case, time travel shenanigans changed his history.)

Ultimate Marvel was originally more accessible versions of the classic Marvel Universe, but now the more distinctive thing would be to keep going forward, to have this be the series where characters can change in big ways.

It doesn't seem that characters are tied to their age. Peter and MJ aren't going to be substantially different if they're in their mid-30s or their mid-40s.

It opens up new stories if characters get older, and comics can depict seasonal events.

This is also how the MCU does it. The characters age as actors do. And stories can reference holidays or seasons because they don't have to worry about the continuity mess of keeping these details vague in the regular comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    There was a lot of stretching and compressing though.
    I imagine they'll cheat often enough.

Sometimes a multi-issue story could cover the events of one day.

The MCU is mostly real-time, but Far From Home was set in the summer and No Way Home was the next few months, even if the films were two years apart.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't know if they know at this point, and if they have long-term plans it could easily be changed if something else makes sense.

There are a few advantages to a real-time format.

It leans into the idea that it's been more than 20 years since Ultimate Spider-Man #1, so this Peter Parker is an adult version of the teenager many readers fondly remember (although in this case, time travel shenanigans changed his history.)

Ultimate Marvel was originally more accessible versions of the classic Marvel Universe, but now the more distinctive thing would be to keep going forward, to have this be the series where characters can change in big ways.

It doesn't seem that characters are tied to their age. Peter and MJ aren't going to be substantially different if they're in their mid-30s or their mid-40s.

It opens up new stories if characters get older, and comics can depict seasonal events.

This is also how the MCU does it. The characters age as actors do. And stories can reference holidays or seasons because they don't have to worry about the continuity mess of keeping these details vague in the regular comics.

I imagine they'll cheat often enough.

Sometimes a multi-issue story could cover the events of one day.

The MCU is mostly real-time, but Far From Home was set in the summer and No Way Home was the next few months, even if the films were two years apart.
    The new Earth 6160 Peter is different from old Earth 1610 Peter. Two separate characters from two different universes.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Earth-6160 Peter is a completely different version of the character. The Maker did not rewrite Earth-1610's history and turn it into Earth-6160. He journeyed to Earth-6160 and reshaped the history of THAT world to fit his vision of a perfect world.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 04-17-2024 at 06:11 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Earth-6160 Peter is a completely different version of the character. The Maker did not rewrite Earth-1610's history and turn it into Earth-6160. He journeyed to Earth-6160 and reshaped the history of THAT world to fit his vision of a perfect world.
    Miguel O'Hara must hate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Miguel O'Hara must hate him.
    I note you don't need to say which Miguel O'Hara.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

I hope the comics won't go in real time for all the time.

I mean, sure, this certainly helps to skip bothering stuff, but at this rate, the kids can get old too soon. And I would like to explore them more at this rate.

Don't make them age too fast, like DC did with Jon Kent.

Replying to posts from another -related- thread

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That was an interesting talk, though. On one side, the dangers of permitting vigilantism. On the other, the idea, if not reality, that sometimes, that law does not always bring or coincide with justice. Of course, in the end, both of them end up reevaluating their prior stances and that's how they come together to save the city, even though it doesn't exactly turn out well for George. I could see something similar happening when Peter's new second identity gets exposed to Ben and Jonah, with Jonah being more critical on principle of being against vigilantism, period, and Ben likely calling out Peter for putting himself and his family at risk, especially after May's death, though with the stakes being what they are, and May's true murderers still at large and in power . . .
    The possibility of this version of eithe Ben or Jonah dying makes me sad, but it is possible the story will take that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I think the fact that Peter chooses 'a man of the people' as part of how he'd like to be seen says something about his values. If the Spider-man / Green Goblin relationship doesn't degenerate into enmity straight away it's a possible point of contention with Harry who seems to be in full control of a major corporation.
    If they choose to add conflict, I don't want it to be more than a passing argument solved maturely.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Bleeding Cool notices the current Ultimate books seem to be real-time, where each issue represents a month.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...-in-real-time/
    I think it's safe to place in the "semi-given" category that all titles are on a monthly in-universe slide. The new Ultimates states it plainly: Maker's city is to reappear in 18 months, and the Ults have 18 months/issues to get ready. That would mean Ult Spidey hits issue ~24 before the "big" ultimate event.

Where the universe goes from there is anyone's guess. Season 2? We'll see, but it's nice to have some structure.

Incredible Member

My guess is one of Peter's kids will die due to his recklessness of choosing to become Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    My guess is one of Peter's kids will die due to his recklessness of choosing to become Spider-Man.
    I hope not. Granted, it’s all in the execution, but that’s a bit too grim. I still don’t even “fully” accept that 616 Mayday is truly dead. It’s just too dark for “Spider-Man” to me.

I expect loss and wouldn’t be shocked if someone died. However… it’s genuinely refreshing to not regurgitate that Peter’s life is endless suffering. But there certainly will be a cost. Hickman’s own earlier stories thrive on the message that all great Spider-Men suffer setbacks because they intentionally put themselves in the midst of the storms, but that it’s worth it and things legitimately are better for himself and others that he do so in the long run.

So whatever happens, I hope that Spider-Man is “worth it” to offset any troubles that arise. I trust Hickman on that front so far.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I hope not. Granted, it’s all in the execution, but that’s a bit too grim. I still don’t even “fully” accept that 616 Mayday is truly dead. It’s just too dark for “Spider-Man” to me.

I expect loss and wouldn’t be shocked if someone died. However… it’s genuinely refreshing to not regurgitate that Peter’s life is endless suffering. But there certainly will be a cost. Hickman’s own earlier stories thrive on the message that all great Spider-Men suffer setbacks because they intentionally put themselves in the midst of the storms, but that it’s worth it and things legitimately are better for himself and others that he do so in the long run.

So whatever happens, I hope that Spider-Man is “worth it” to offset any troubles that arise. I trust Hickman on that front so far.
    Same here.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Nah, that doesn't really fit with Hickman's approach to family drama writing, going off his past work IMO.

My money from the start has been on Jonah being the loved one who dies. He's basically treated as part of the family in this book, especially for Ben, and the both of them are currently breaking off the beat path to report news on the dystopian ongoings of the Maker's Council and their puppet factions. Plus Hickman's been doing a lot of inverting of usual Spider-Man tropes or status quos here while keeping true to the spirit of the classic comics. So to me, it makes way more sense that Jonah will wind up being the one who has a tragic death along the way, due to both his and Ben's ongoing investigations on the Maker's Council and likely something yet to come with Peter's adventures as Spider-Man.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    I think it's safe to place in the "semi-given" category that all titles are on a monthly in-universe slide. The new Ultimates states it plainly: Maker's city is to reappear in 18 months, and the Ults have 18 months/issues to get ready. That would mean Ult Spidey hits issue ~24 before the "big" ultimate event.

Where the universe goes from there is anyone's guess. Season 2? We'll see, but it's nice to have some structure.
    Hickman definitely has a plan with an endgame in mind, so I am looking forward to that. Hopefully his planning won't be tampered with like it was when he worked on the X-Men...

Fantastic Member

Is this the same guesswork that thinks reposting the same story over and over again on your site isn't annoying or thinks that LOLTron is a funny idea and not just a boring tired joke that ran its course after two posts? I don't want any more negativity in my Spider-Man comics. I have had enough of it as it is. Besides i hardly doubt marvel wants to display Spider-Man as a reckless father. Just as a loser who can't win a fight or carry a meaningful relationship for any significant period of time.

I feel like Hickman is really going to have to work to make people care about Richard.