Page 22 of 126 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    the advertisement makes it seem he is getting his powers now based on what Stegman said "When we decided that we were going to do a book about an older Peter Parker becoming Spider-Man, we really wanted to lean into him starting his super hero life from a very different place than what's traditionally expected," Hickman explained. "Peter and MJ being married is one of many decisions we made that underline this being quite a 'different' kind of Spider-Man story."

it wont be different if he has his powers as a teenager

also it would be funny that since Peter started his career as a older man his enemies would start their career as a teenagers. Like instead of a old man vulture we get a teenager vulture coming up or a teenage doc ock
    That would be hilarious.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

the advertisement makes it seem he is getting his powers now based on what Stegman said "When we decided that we were going to do a book about an older Peter Parker becoming Spider-Man, we really wanted to lean into him starting his super hero life from a very different place than what's traditionally expected," Hickman explained. "Peter and MJ being married is one of many decisions we made that underline this being quite a 'different' kind of Spider-Man story."

also it would be funny that since Peter started his career as a older man his enemies would start their career as a teenagers. Like instead of a old man vulture we get a teenager vulture coming up or a teenage doc ock
    Seeing Hickman reinvent the Spidey Rogues is also a huge part of the appeal for me for sure. Hey maybe Peter will start off working for OsCorp and Norman will be his boss while Otto is his co-worker?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Gonna be real interesting to see how this plays out. I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifetap View Post
    So this means that if this comic sells they will take that as people liking this status quo for 616 and be more likely to undo OMD. That's how it works right?
    Yes. It has to sell noticeably better than Amazing Spider-Man, which is a tall order, but possible.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

This is the major chance for everyone that wanted this to go support this comic if they want to show MARVEL editorial where they truly feel the money is.

I expect it to do very well actually. It has the potential to go toe to toe with the main continuity comic at launch, and we'll see if it sustains after that as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Meet the Parkers of Earth-6160!

Married! Kids! Yes! Yes! Yes! It's 00:51 UK time and I'm so hyped up!

"Peter and MJ being married is one of many decisions we made that underline this being quite a 'different' kind of Spider-Man story."[/I]
    Kinda getting some red flags that Peter and MJ being a married couple is considered a marker of a "different" Spider-Man, considering it's a return to normalcy, all things considered. On the other hand, given that the OMD agenda is still gospel at Marvel, it is to be expected that it would be framed as not being a normal element of the character, it's is to be expected and it's a win if it's there, whatever the Powers That Be think of it.

Assuming that there's isn't a catch somewhere, I'm actually feeling pretty reassured that this's up my alley (was not a fan of Hickman's Krakoa cult stuff with X-Men at all, so was very unsure about how he'd handle this).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    For me, I think his X-Men stuff was exceptional. I don't think Ultimate Invasion was incredible but reading it all together made me appreciate it a lot more. And I think G.O.D.S was a lot more enjoyable than I expected.

For my money, there's not a better writer getting check from Marvel. So this is a best possible outcome for me
    I think Hickman has ambition, but I felt like he sacrificed too much characterization for his ideas.

I'm hoping that's not the case here.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    This is the most excited I have been in a long time about Spider-Man ( maybe since the newspaper strip and RYV). I am an adult and married and I cannot relate to Peter in HS, and hate the post OMD direction of 616. Speaking of OMD, the fact Marvel is allowing Peter to be married to MJ in a comic shows even they know OMD and it’s aftermath are BS. Why are they? It is what I said the other day, because Hickman is writing it. If Hickman wants it he gets it. He is a heavyweight writer. Maybe just maybe OMD goes away in 616 if the next writer has the clout to write what he or she wants:
    I mean, at the end of the day it's still an elseworld AU comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I wonder what happened to others in Peter's supporting cast.

Harry.
    Gwen.
    Flash.
    Liz.
    Jonah.
    Betty.
    Glory.
    Robbie.
    Randy.
    Aunt May.
    Uncle Ben.
    I hope Hickman actually uses the supporting cast instead of OC's or other Superheroes.

Though 70% of screentime will probably be Peter and his family.

Giving me bad 2017 cartoon flashbacks...
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-27-2023 at 05:34 AM.

You're getting a comic where MJ and Peter are married AND have kids. And are in a continuity where they got together even without Gwen Stacy ever dying.

If THIS doesn't sell after all the hell fans have put creators through, then it would send a horrid message to editorial and in general.

Fortunately I think it will sell very well, ESPECIALLY at launch.

The only red flag would be if it didn't sell well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Hickman has ambition, but I felt like he sacrificed too much characterization for his ideas.

I'm hoping that's not the case here.
    I'd say it depends on how Mayday and Ben are treated and characterized as well. Peter and MJs dynamic, relationship and banter is very standardly known at this point. Mayday and Ben are a territory not many may have really explored in the last 20 or so years, so they're a much bigger canvas to work with when it comes to characterization so we'll see what Hickman does with it.
    Last edited by Majesty; 10-26-2023 at 05:06 PM.

Fantastic Member

I'll be doing my part to help this comic sell. I wouldn't take a copy of ASM if they paid me. But I will be buying two copies of this

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Meet the Parkers of Earth-6160!

This is like a dream come true! R.I.P ASM...your worthy replacement has arrived.
    Last edited by Knightsilver; 10-26-2023 at 05:24 PM.

Incredible Member

Okay I'll admit when Hickman said Peter B. I thought he was talking depressed guy needing to rebuild his life. Not Peter B., watch me try and take a picture of my childs first chase, Parker.

Fantastic Member

Cool. Now that there’s a book for both types of Spider-Man fans, now everyone should be happy and people here should just chill out, right?

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    Cool. Now that there’s a book for both types of Spider-Man fans, now everyone should be happy and people here should just chill out, right?

Call me cynical, but I doubt it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    I'd say it depends on how Mayday and Ben are treated and characterized as well. Peter and MJs dynamic, relationship and banter is very standardly known at this point. Mayday and Ben are a territory not many may have really explored in the last 20 or so years, so they're a much bigger canvas to work with when it comes to characterization so we'll see what Hickman does with it.
    Granted compared to 616 Peter and MJ's relationship and interaction lately, this could also still be a breath of fresh air for comic fans. And even for fans who want an in-character MJ who is not a Superhero.

But probably a lot to juggle with Peter, the family, and the Spider-Man stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    I mean, I'm still going to wish they were writing/treating 616 Peter better.