Page 82 of 126 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1876

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Definitely interesting. Its funny I got the whole stolen destinies thing from Ultimate Invasion but this book really makes me care about that concept in a way the mini didn't.

I'm also thinking at some point we have to see the "price" Peter pays for doing this. It's not just going to be puppies and unicorns now that he has powers. He's older and more mature and wants to be a hero so we don't need to do the great power thing but I feel there's gotta be something else we/he don't see that will be cost of putting on the mask.
    I do think there's more to this than Peter not being able to pick the kids up from school because he's busy fighting The Vulture.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think the themes of, not just Spider-Man, but this new Ultimate line as a whole is that of a lost generation. The Maker invaded this timeline and stole this world's heroes. He either completely neutralized them or he recruited them to his cause. The future of this world was stolen, and now the new generation of heroes are fighting to get back what should be theirs.

This leads to a very different take on Spider-Man, but it's certainly an interesting one.
    I guess it fits with an adult version of Peter becoming Spider-Man.
    Definitely interesting. Its funny I got the whole stolen destinies thing from Ultimate Invasion but this book really makes me care about that concept in a way the mini didn't.

I'm also thinking at some point we have to see the "price" Peter pays for doing this. It's not just going to be puppies and unicorns now that he has powers. He's older and more mature and wants to be a hero so we don't need to do the great power thing but I feel there's gotta be something else we/he don't see that will be cost of putting on the mask.
    I do wonder if there's going to be some kind of consequence to him starting out so old. He had a steep learning curve when he was 15 and he screwed up a lot but a lot of the reason he became a great Superhero was he made those mistakes and grew up, while also having that youthful vigor that carried him through several of his fights.

He might not have that luxury now.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    It looks pretty nice, I should have grabbed one as well but knowing my store they are all probably gone by now. I was hoping to get the Ben Reilly and Miguel O'Hara variants as well but my shop didn't get any in.

Looks like we'll have more time with the proto/black suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    USM #2 Mark Bagley connecting cover variant (I think these are generations covers, meaning that each "Ultimate Spider-Man" and their supporting cast will be depicted. So #3 will definitely be Peter, MJ, Richard, May and possibly spoilers:
    Uncle Ben
    end of spoilers):

Ganke and Miles look like they've aged five years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    To no one’s great surprise, but it fascinates me that Hickman chose to establish that 6160 Peter and Harry don’t know each other. I’d love to know what made him go that route. There’s an argument to be made that Hickman is using Peter as a proxy for his own entry into comics, so I’m wondering if Harry is meant to be analogous to someone Hickman worked with. Tony I think is pretty clearly meant to be Bendis, the guy whose already in the game that wants to get Peter/Hickman in as well.
    I think it could just as easily be that he wanted to start Peter and Harry off with no preconceived biases against each other and see their relationship begin fresh.

Even the characters in-universe seem interested in what was real about the Osborns.

Incredible Member

“Spider-Man: Hook”

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    It's honestly the most relatable thing done with Peter Parker in 20 years.

It perfectly encaptures how so many people (Millennials and Gen Z's especially) feel having grown up under neoliberalism.
    I honestly think its kind of genius for Marvel to both cater a book to the fans who not only want a married Spider-Man while also aging him up so his long term fans can re-identify with their fav character. Its like they're speaking directly to the audience on this one.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I think the themes of, not just Spider-Man, but this new Ultimate line as a whole is that of a lost generation. The Maker invaded this timeline and stole this world's heroes. He either completely neutralized them or he recruited them to his cause. The future of this world was stolen, and now the new generation of heroes are fighting to get back what should be theirs.

This leads to a very different take on Spider-Man, but it's certainly an interesting one.
    The vibe that I got is that without Peter becoming Spider-Man, he never became more confident and social and therefore he wasn't friends with Harry and a lot of people.

It's honestly the most relatable thing done with Peter Parker in 20 years.

It perfectly encaptures how so many people (Millennials and Gen Z's especially) feel having grown up under neoliberalism.
    That is a very valid and intriguing way of looking at it, yeah.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That is a very valid and intriguing way of looking at it, yeah.
    I read Ultimate Invasion today, and I thought it was even more apparent there. Minor spoilers if you haven't read it, but The Maker and the elites in it are an obvious metaphor for the 1%. And the mini is even more fixated on the idea of The Maker "robbing" people of opportunities by erasing superheroes.

I'm not surprised that Hickman decided to write Spider-Man (Marvel's most class conscious hero) after that.

Did anyone think that Peter was the new Goblin for a fraction of a sec?

Also is Purple Hair Jessica Jones cause that would rock?
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Astonishing Member

Funny, there's been one thing missing recently that even the good Spidey content didn't have much of: Peter kicking lots of ass as Spider-Man.

In Lost Hunt he didn't have his powers.
    In ATSV he was on semi pat leave.
    Insomniac's Spider-Man 2 was about him taking a break.

All great stuff done with Peter, but I kinda miss just Peter going around kicking ass. Especially since Wells' Peter being the way he is.

That's one of the things that most excites me about USM.

Funny, there's been one thing missing recently that even the good Spidey content didn't have much of: Peter kicking lots of ass as Spider-Man.

In Lost Hunt he didn't have his powers.
    In ATSV he was on semi pat leave.
    Insomniac's Spider-Man 2 was about him taking a break.

All great stuff done with Peter, but I kinda miss just Peter going around kicking ass. Especially since Wells' Peter being the way he is.

That's one of the things that most excites me about USM.
    Weren't characters also constantly getting the drop on him in ISM2!?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Weren't characters also constantly getting the drop on him in ISM2!?
    Not really? Not unless they exploited the symbiote's weakness.

Fantastic Member

I honestly think its kind of genius for Marvel to both cater a book to the fans who not only want a married Spider-Man while also aging him up so his long term fans can re-identify with their fav character. Its like they're speaking directly to the audience on this one.
    I think what a lot of folks who are excited about this might be missing is the possibility that this is Hickman doing the Spider-Man version of "For the Man Who Has Everything"--the Maker intentionally muddled up this universe, and Peter can sense that this isn't the life he was supposed to be living (that much was pretty much established in the first issue.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    I think what a lot of folks who are excited about this might be missing is the possibility that this is Hickman doing the Spider-Man version of "For the Man Who Has Everything"--the Maker intentionally muddled up this universe, and Peter can sense that this isn't the life he was supposed to be living (that much was pretty much established in the first issue.)
    I think that was already done with House of M. We'll have to see how things play out, but I don't think this story is meant to evoke an idealized false reality. Peter's life seems far more mundane here and he seems to be feeling a bit aimless. I get the sense that its more about the journey of a Peter who chooses to be a hero on his own terms.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 01-12-2024 at 08:25 PM.

I hope Sony takes notes from this series when they inevitably reboot Peter Parker again in the movies.

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

I hope Sony takes notes from this series when they inevitably reboot Peter Parker again in the movies.
    Same. I'll wind up pulling my hair out if they just start Peter back in Midtown High again for the hundredth time over.

Besides, imagine moviegoers' surprise when they go into the theater and find out that Redacted is a living and present character in the ongoing narrative for a change.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I read Ultimate Invasion today, and I thought it was even more apparent there. Minor spoilers if you haven't read it, but The Maker and the elites in it are an obvious metaphor for the 1%. And the mini is even more fixated on the idea of The Maker "robbing" people of opportunities by erasing superheroes.

I'm not surprised that Hickman decided to write Spider-Man (Marvel's most class conscious hero) after that.
    Having also read Ultimate Invasion, that does make a lot more sense when you put it like that. It's even furthering the theme tackled in later chapters of the original Ultimate Spider-Man of how elites wanting nothing more than to keep their ill-gotten wealth and power have ruined and destroyed so many lives and futures and left the world a mess for future generations to clean up.
    The spider is always on the hunt.