Page 123 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126 LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 1890

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I think Peter still being a photographer is commentary on the lack of upwards mobility to better-paying jobs for many Millennials. It does seem to be intentional. As is him getting that job in the first place through connections.
    Or alternatively it keeps him involved in the news industry which is a significant factor in the book and it lets him promote himself (because the book's pacing only lets Spider-Man do so much issue-by-issue).

Fantastic Member

Peter seems pretty confident in his abilities as a photographer. He mentions in issue 2 that he's not worried about losing his job at the Bugle over Ben and JJJ walking out because "Robbie knows I do good work". I think the line "something I'm good at" is more saying something I am passionate about and that comes naturally to me rather than "something I am proficient at"

I always liked Peter working at the Bugle so I am glad he's there now. I think most of his science related jobs lately are like, boring? Cause nobody writing these books is a scientist so he's always just doing essential gobbledygook nonsense. I think him being a science teacher was a good gig though.

Astonishing Member

IMO, Peter should have a job that feels real and that feels connected to real events.

Both his job at The Bugle and his job as a teacher had that. The rest, not so much.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    Peter seems pretty confident in his abilities as a photographer. He mentions in issue 2 that he's not worried about losing his job at the Bugle over Ben and JJJ walking out because "Robbie knows I do good work". I think the line "something I'm good at" is more saying something I am passionate about and that comes naturally to me rather than "something I am proficient at"

I always liked Peter working at the Bugle so I am glad he's there now. I think most of his science related jobs lately are like, boring? Cause nobody writing these books is a scientist so he's always just doing essential gobbledygook nonsense. I think him being a science teacher was a good gig though.
    Yeah I agree. Working in a lab is a boring gig for a comic. I don't understand the appeal. Unless you work as a healthcare provider, it can be a pretty socially isolating line of work. Personally, I think working at a school or working at the Bugle are more interesting avenues because of the opportunities to really explore the frenetic social interaction and everyday societal issues. The other science related jobs seem to lean too much into escapist fantasy.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-25-2024 at 08:59 AM.

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    When you ae a kid, the most tragic death is that or your parents or parental figures. When you are a parent, it's your kids. And who has be shown to be behaving irresponsibly with?
    In real life, certainly. And what you're proposing is certainly a narrative direction that could make sense in some comics. Even some Spider-Man comics at that.

But I think you're neglecting to consider that Hickman has a bit of a formula here that has been previously seen in his Fantastic Four and X-Men runs, where the main protagonist is a 30/40 something year old father who is happily married, has children and has a father figure of his own. All of which we see here already in Ultimate Spider-Man with Peter, Mary Jane, the Parker kids and Uncle Ben fitting into the designated roles.

I absolutely believe that Hickman will throw family drama and some form of loss at the Parker family's way as the story progresses. That's bound to happen and I look forward to seeing those developments. But I don't think the Parker kids will be dying anytime soon here.

If anything, I would argue that if tragedy were to strike the main cast in such a way that it involves a child, my money would be on:

spoilers:
    Gwen becoming pregnant at some point in the run and then later have a tragic miscarriage as a consequence of Peter and Harry's superhero-ing endeavors. Hickman made a point to highlight that Harry doesn't feel comfortable with bringing new life in the world he currently lives in- and that really stands out to me, considering that if you look back at Harry in the 616 continuity in say the J.M. DeMatteis Spectacular Spider-Man era, Harry loved being a father.

Moreover that sort of development would make sense enough in instigating a divide and tension between Peter and Harry.
    end of spoilers

Now that isn't my main theory of what all could happen, but if we're feeling so confident that a child is going to die at some point, that'd be where my money would land on. Your mileage will obviously vary though!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Billy View Post

If anything, I would argue that if tragedy were to strike the main cast in such a way that it involves a child, my money would be on:

spoilers:
    Gwen becoming pregnant at some point in the run and then later have a tragic miscarriage as a consequence of Peter and Harry's superhero-ing endeavors. Hickman made a point to highlight that Harry doesn't feel comfortable with bringing new life in the world he currently lives in- and that really stands out to me, considering that if you look back at Harry in the 616 continuity in say the J.M. DeMatteis Spectacular Spider-Man era, Harry loved being a father.

Moreover that sort of development would make sense enough in instigating a divide and tension between Peter and Harry.
    end of spoilers

Now that isn't my main theory of what all could happen, but if we're feeling so confident that a child is going to die at some point, that'd be where my money would land on. Your mileage will obviously vary though!
    That's actually a really interesting theory and would make a lot of sense in light of the discussion in issue #4

spoilers:
    My initial theory was that it would be an Osborn child. But they confirmed that they don't have a child..yet.

Another theory that I have is that no one in the Parker family is actually killed but one of the children is inadvertently injured and/or targeted by one of the Maker's men and this is what pushes Peter to take Harry's cause more seriously.

I suspect something will happen to the family at the end of the first arc: issue #6 which describes Mary Jane as being caught up in the action. And Harry, Ben, and Jameson are all mentioned in the description for issue #7.

end of spoilers
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-25-2024 at 11:20 AM.

I apologize if others have speculated on this and I missed it but, what if...

spoilers:
    Since in 616, the Green Goblin kills Gwen, that in this universe, Harry inadvertantly causes Gwen's death and that drives him over the edge into super-villainy?
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    I apologize if others have speculated on this and I missed it but, what if...

spoilers:
    Since in 616, the Green Goblin kills Gwen, that in this universe, Harry inadvertantly causes Gwen's death and that drives him over the edge into super-villainy?
    end of spoilers
    Maybe...

spoilers:
    but I think issue #4 sets up Gwen for more as the CEO of Oscorp funneling money into the Paper. I'm thinking it's likely that Harry wont die either. At least anytime soon.
    end of spoilers

USM 2 is getting a fourth printing.

https://prhcomics.com/book/?isbn=75960620796100214

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    USM 2 is getting a fourth printing.

https://prhcomics.com/book/?isbn=75960620796100214
    And it is WELL deserved.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Astonishing Member

The future is definitely intense for Peter here.

Harry actually have a point when he said to Peter that he couldn't hide his beloved ones from the consequences of being Spider-Man. So I think it would be better for Peter for just tell to MJ and his son. However, I'm pretty sure MJ knows already. I mean, how is she not going to noticed changes in her husband's body if she's sleeping with him? Besides, it would mirror the story on Eath-616, when MJ discovered Peter's secret the same night Uncle Ben died.

As for Harry, well, I definitely don't want Peter to lose his family (wife and children), but Harry MIGHT lose his wife. You know, just like Peter lost her Gwen because of being Spider-Man, being the Green Goblin could cost Harry his wife. Personally, I would prefer not.

Astonishing Member

My guess is one of Peter's kids will die due to his recklessness of choosing to become Spider-Man.
    When you ae a kid, the most tragic death is that or your parents or parental figures. When you are a parent, it's your kids. And who has be shown to be behaving irresponsibly with?
    Hickman isn't doing (and is never gonna do) the "Get a real job / You must outgrow your fun side and hippie beliefs about changing the world once you have kids" thing with Peter.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 04-25-2024 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    IMO, Peter should have a job that feels real and that feels connected to real events.

Both his job at The Bugle and his job as a teacher had that. The rest, not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Yeah I agree. Working in a lab is a boring gig for a comic. I don't understand the appeal. Unless you work as a healthcare provider, it can be a pretty socially isolating line of work. Personally, I think working at a school or working at the Bugle are more interesting avenues because of the opportunities to really explore the frenetic social interaction and everyday societal issues. The other science related jobs seem to lean too much into escapist fantasy.
    We saw with Horizon that it was mostly just an excuse for Silver Age wackiness and new costumes/gadgets, but most of the Horizon cast would never be in a top 10 favorite supporting character list and it didn't have that liveliness or cast depth that the Bugle has, let alone the complexity of how it could be interspersed with Peter's Spider-Man life.

Probably the best argument for Peter having a science job is it's literally his passion and something he's smart and crafty enough to do.

Of course Ultimate Peter seems like a smart guy who is not as science-minded as most Peter's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    So I think it would be better for Peter for just tell to MJ and his son. However, I'm pretty sure MJ knows already. I mean, how is she not going to noticed changes in her husband's body if she's sleeping with him? Besides, it would mirror the story on Eath-616, when MJ discovered Peter's secret the same night Uncle Ben died.

As for Harry, well, I definitely don't want Peter to lose his family (wife and children), but Harry MIGHT lose his wife. You know, just like Peter lost her Gwen because of being Spider-Man, being the Green Goblin could cost Harry his wife. Personally, I would prefer not.
    MJ has had a line asking Peter if he's been working out. But otherwise, yes, it's a lot better if MJ knows and Peter knows she knows.
    I don't know about Harry losing Gwen. On the one hand, Gwen Stacy is known for dying (and for having spider powers). On the other, precisely because Gwen is known for dying it's tiresome.

On the one hand, if you're going to kill off a character you need to develop them to have emotional impact. On the other, if you develop a character to the point that their death has emotional impact, then it's a waste to kill them.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

"He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy