Page 83 of 125 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1870

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Billy View Post
    Same. I'll wind up pulling my hair out if they just start Peter back in Midtown High again for the hundredth time over.

Besides, imagine moviegoers' surprise when they go into the theater and find out that Redacted is a living and present character in the ongoing narrative for a change.
    There seems to be a swing(hehehe...) in a different direction now as far as what the general audience wants from Spider-Man now. In the 2000's...there was the push for "young single Spidey". Whether that was what the audience wanted...or what Marvel wanted...I can't really say...but that's what was being pushed to an obnoxious degree. Now however...there's a large desire for an adult Spider-Man...and we see it in the movies and the games. So hopefully teen Spidey can be left for Miles...and teen Peter can finally be put to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I hope Sony takes notes from this series when they inevitably reboot Peter Parker again in the movies.
    This made me realize there are so many different ways to reboot Spider-Man these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    There seems to be a swing(hehehe...) in a different direction now as far as what the general audience wants from Spider-Man now. In the 2000's...there was the push for "young single Spidey". Whether that was what the audience wanted...or what Marvel wanted...I can't really say...but that's what was being pushed to an obnoxious degree. Now however...there's a large desire for an adult Spider-Man...and we see it in the movies and the games. So hopefully teen Spidey can be left for Miles...and teen Peter can finally be put to rest.
    We've still got teen Peter in the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man cartoon coming up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    People keep describing him as depressed and unhappy but we have to take into account that we meet him a few hours after being told that he's part of a insane time traveling plot meant to destroy the concept of superheroes and create a fascist utopia run by evil men and that his aunt was killed as part of this. And that he's been given the chance to become a superhuman. And that the life he was going to have before the maker intervened was that of a superhero inspiring others and saving lives. Both Ben and MJ react to him as if his behavior is not typical in this issue. Which makes sense because you don't typically get told that sort of crazy ****.

I think many people no matter their life circumstances think about what could have been or perhaps feel a calling for a dream that was unfulfilled or something missing in their life. And then Peter's case he he's just learned hours ago that that feeling he's had was not just typical malaise not just regular unfulfillment but the direct result of otherworldly intervention altering his fate as part of a universe and time spanning scheme that's created a bleak and unfulfilling world for most of its citizens.

I don't get the vibe that he wakes up every morning and his family thinks he's detached and depressed.
    Not necessarily, but he says he's always felt something was wrong and MJ comments that he always had a cloud over him and wasn't satisfied with who he was. It doesn't mean that he's depressed and miserable all the time, but he's definitely missing something in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Not necessarily, but he says he's always felt something was wrong and MJ comments that he always had a cloud over him and wasn't satisfied with who he was. It doesn't mean that he's depressed and miserable all the time, but he's definitely missing something in his life.
    Exactly. Him being a great husband and father, in MJ's words, speaks to him being generally of sound mind and able to lead a good life. We just met him at a critical life changing juncture, when faced with a big decision about that small something he felt was missing in his life. The fact it seems it was the first time MJ mentioned the cloud over him means it wasn't a huge sticking point that affected them. It's just something she sensed and he did too, something in the background.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I was trying to address the comments I have seen saying that Peter is depressed, that he's aloof from his family, or an inattentive father. Stuff like that I disagree with. The feeling that he feels something is missing isn't what I am debating because it's right there printed on the page

But then the other part is that he wasn't feeling those things because of a dissatisfaction with the life he had, but with a subconscious knowledge that something was missing. And something literally was missing. His past was altered and he had an existential or cosmic awareness of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Is it just me or despite the kids and the mid-life crisis does Hickman's Peter feel younger than Slott's Peter or the bits I've seen of Wells' Peter? They read like someone having a midlife crisis who is in denial about it.
    There's still that edge of optimism and idealism that used to define Peter - the sense that he's got a future to live for.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Is it just me or despite the kids and the mid-life crisis does Hickman's Peter feel younger than Slott's Peter or the bits I've seen of Wells' Peter? They read like someone having a midlife crisis who is in denial about it.
    There's still that edge of optimism and idealism that used to define Peter - the sense that he's got a future to live for.
    Not even remotely IMO. Hickman's Peter reads as genuinely mature to me, rather than as a man-child.

I'd argue it's less that he feels younger and instead just feels more honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    The great irony of the post-OMD era of Spider-Man is that Peter carries major divorced guy energy.

(This is not helped by the first issue of Vol. 6 ending on the note of Peter stalking his ex and her new family.)

I hope that Peter isn't given any arbitrary bad luck incidents-- or several in a row-- that push the series toward farce. That's a key difference that should be used to differentiate this series from the mainline strip. I'm hoping that other characters motivations, whether ally or adversary-- are similarly handled in a mature manner and not with a lean toward sitcom style histrionics. Super-zany-Jonah "because he just is" is going to get old really quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope that Peter isn't given any arbitrary bad luck incidents-- or several in a row-- that push the series toward farce. That's a key difference that should be used to differentiate this series from the mainline strip. I'm hoping that other characters motivations, whether ally or adversary-- are similarly handled in a mature manner and not with a lean toward sitcom style histrionics. Super-zany-Jonah "because he just is" is going to get old really quickly.
    While I'm sure there'll be moments of drama, I'd imagine that Hickman will continue to write the book in a more mature manner and avoid the more typical sitcom-y style of writing. If I were to hazard a guess, my money is on this series feeling like a far more grounded sibling series to Hickman's Fantastic Four run, with the broader narrative scope focusing more on the family drama amidst an epic that tackles investigative journalism, corruption of American big businesses and a broader national conspiracy with some shades of high sci-fi concepts implemented here and there.

https://x.com/comicbosstimmy/status/...487sLx_4UoiJsQ
    Ultimate Spider-Man #1 was our highest ordered Marvel release in ages and after 48 hours one location is completely sold out with the other being very close to it. We’re seeing new faces in the shops coming in asking for it and I am so over the moon about it.
    Time for Ultimate Spider-Man to save the industry once again . This is incredibly encouraging to hear, I hope sales go through the roof and stay that way. I want a long run from Hickman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I think people who are hoping this book will just be the wholesome adventures of Spider-Dad are going to be disappointed. Hickman clearly has a story to tell with lofty aims and commentary to make about the world we live in and how it’s fallen short of what we were promised. There will be drama, tension, arguments, but that was in his F4 run too. I don’t see Hickman breaking the Parkers apart any more than he did the Richards Family, I read what Peter says to MJ before getting bitten as Hickman speaking directly to the reader, but he will add new weight that comes from Peter’s heroics now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Time for Ultimate Spider-Man to save the industry once again . This is incredibly encouraging to hear, I hope sales go through the roof and stay that way. I want a long run from Hickman.
    All the shops in my area were out by Wednesday afternoon. I was happy that I had to wait a couple of days to get a copy, if it means that this book is selling well. Really good issue, to boot!

I think people who are hoping this book will just be the wholesome adventures of Spider-Dad are going to be disappointed. Hickman clearly has a story to tell with lofty aims and commentary to make about the world we live in and how it’s fallen short of what we were promised. There will be drama, tension, arguments, but that was in his F4 run too. I don’t see Hickman breaking the Parkers apart any more than he did the Richards Family, I read what Peter says to MJ before getting bitten as Hickman speaking directly to the reader, but he will add new weight that comes from Peter’s heroics now.
    Good, I hope there is drama and tension, but I also hope to see cute, endearing, funny and sexy moments as well. Spider-Man has a family, and it is a perfect opportunity to show some good quality dynamics, love, and laughter that can go with it. We need to see the good times to balance out the dark times. I just hope we have an opportunity to see the joy Peter has with his family before it gets too dark.

I'm not expecting Hickman to be on this book for as long as Bendis was on the OG Ultimate Spider-Man... but if he were to stay on the book for around the same amount of time that Grant Morrison was in charge of Batman, I'll be over the moon.

Completely agreed.

I don't expect there to be the same sort of relationship status soap opera drama as what we often see over in the 616 comics, but there's going to be emotional setbacks and losses that the Parker family will suffer at some point along the way. Your comparison to Hickman's F4 run is spot on IMO. There'll be arguments and tension amidst the family as things progress, but it won't be in danger of a Paul type showing up and stealing away MJ or Felicia coming in to be a home wrecker.

Were I to wager a guess, I suspect we'll see Jonah and Ben be targeted by the Council soon and Peter will wind up only being able to save Ben, while Jonah dies as a result of his and Ben's continued pursuit of investigating what actually happened during the Stark attack.

Fantastic Member

Hearing lots of sell out stories. Also hearing it's driving up sales of Ultimate Invasion.

It's now the only comic I am picking up. And I'll be good for a few variants as well.