Page 8 of 125 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

I also believe it will be Peter, but surely with some high concept Hickman-y twist.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I also believe it will be Peter, but surely with some high concept Hickman-y twist.
    If it turns out to be Peter, I would love to see Hickman use Theresa. That is one way to use Peter in a big picture/world/SHIELD way. I have also wanted to see Theresa’s character fleshed out more. For example if she really is his sister what about meeting Aunt May?

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    If it turns out to be Peter, I would love to see Hickman use Theresa. That is one way to use Peter in a big picture/world/SHIELD way. I have also wanted to see Theresa’s character fleshed out more. For example if she really is his sister what about meeting Aunt May?
    Wasn't Teresa just a way to bring back the design of Ultimate Jessica Drew without having to make another Parker clone?

Friendly Neighborhood Guy MrParkersSubstitute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    Wasn't Teresa just a way to bring back the design of Ultimate Jessica Drew without having to make another Parker clone?
    Not in any way at all, no. She was a character created by Mark Waid and James Robinson, and revived by Czardsky, and not her characterization, or design, resemble Ultimate Jessica Drew much at all.

‪‪I believe what you’re referring to is an entirely fan-generated idea that’s a feeling someone had, and nothing that has been indicated by the creators, any official source, or really supported at all by the material. A quick google search showed people suggesting the idea as a possibility on this forum 3 years ago, and nothing else connecting the two.
    Last edited by MrParkersSubstitute; 09-22-2023 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Your post-Heroes Reborn run on Avengers was always cool. It was the coolest of the cool!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Astro City was cooler. (I hope that doesn't come over as 'I really liked your old stuff'.)
    Since ASTRO CITY started out only a few years before that AVENGERS run and continued long afterward, I don't think it could, really.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I will just say that JLA/Avengers is honestly the kind of book that can't even happen once, and the fact it turned out great (with George Perez putting out the best pencils of his career) is a testament to the creative team.
    It was a lot of fun to do, and George had even more fun than I did. It was really a dream project for him, and he made sure to enjoy every single panel.

On that note, I should really track down your Avengers run, I keep hearing good things.
    It has its moments!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I really need to get caught up on Astro City, I think I have only read the first trade. At least, I think it was the first trade.
    Half the run is currently available in nice economical volumes as ASTRO CITY METROBOOK 1-3, and vol 4 will be along next month...

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I will just say that JLA/Avengers is honestly the kind of book that can't even happen once, and the fact it turned out great (with George Perez putting out the best pencils of his career) is a testament to the creative team.
    It has all the things that one didn't know one wanted from a JLA/Avengers crossover until one saw them. (I think the best bit is some of the heroes realising that saving the world means living through their nineties dark age plot lines and saving the world anyway.)

On that note, I should really track down your Avengers run, I keep hearing good things.
    Among other things, I think it should get the credit for relaunching Carol Danvers.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Hickman did well in capturing friendy and familial dynamics in FF and FF, and a bit in X-Men. If he channels that energy, I'd be happy.

My biggest complaint is that Hickman is funny with the occasional sarcastic one-liner, but he's not great with zingers or comebacks. (Jean/Emma banter excluded, but come on. Shooting fish in a barrel.) But that still puts him over many writers, who aren't fun at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

I really hope we get the chance to read the story of a Peter Parker who shines in a dark world, who's brilliant, and funny, and always tries to do what's best for the others. Everything Peter-1610 was and everything Peter-616 is no longer.

We still don't know if it's going to be Peter under the mask, but I love Hickman's Spidey in his FF and Amazing Fantasy #1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    I really hope we get the chance to read the story of a Peter Parker who shines in a dark world, who's brilliant, and funny, and always tries to do what's best for the others. Everything Peter-1610 was and everything Peter-616 is no longer.

We still don't know if it's going to be Peter under the mask, but I love Hickman's Spidey in his FF and Amazing Fantasy #1000.
    Yeah, this is why I'm really curious what Hickman's headspace or take on this Spider-Man is going to be.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, this is why I'm really curious what Hickman's headspace or take on this Spider-Man is going to be.
    We have a small limited seires coming out after invasion, should see the new spiserman in there theoretically.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    We have a small limited seires coming out after invasion, should see the new spiserman in there theoretically.
    I think Ultimate Universe is a one-shot, not a series.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    I was hoping we could get a glimpse of Spidey this Wednesday. Well, if it’s not next week, we have NYCC in what, two weeks ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    I didn't threaten anything. I told my editor that if they did an Ultimate Avengers book it'd be time for me to leave Avengers, because Marvel's approach to those things was to promote the new Ultimate book as cool and cutting edge, not like that hidebound regular-universe series. And then the regular-universe series would need a new writer (or creative team) to be cool again.

After Ultimate Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man wasn't cool any more, until they brought in Straczynski about a year later. Then they could both be cool because they were both "new." Same with Ultimate X-Men -- the X-books weren't the cool ones any more, and they almost immediately brought in Grant Morrison, which solved the problem.

So an Ultimate Avengers book would make me the "problem," despite my book being one of Marvel's top sellers. So I'd need to go, and let someone else be "new."

That wasn't a threat -- I didn't say "don't do it or else." I said, "Look, if you do this, here's how it works. You will then have to 'fix' Avengers, and I don't want to be the one impeding progress."

So when they launched ULTIMATES (which is Ultimate Avengers whether it has Avengers in the title or not), it was immediately presented as "the Avengers get ultimized! This version will be cool!" So I finished up the story I was in the middle of and left, so they could get someone else (Geoff Johns) to be the new guy, and maybe make Penultimate Avengers cool again.

[But sure enough, even years later, Mark Millar still claims the book was called Ultimates because Avengers was an embarrassing loser and they didn't want to use the name, despite Avengers being one of Marvel's top ten books at the time and selling better than the bulk of their line. It's just how they worked with the Ultimate books.]

I wasn't walking out -- I did a fair amount of stuff for Marvel later, including JLA/AVENGERS -- it was just time to do things other than Avengers at that point. There's no way around it when your own publisher is going to treat your book as old and busted.

I don't think I had any clout in the situation -- nor do I think Waid could have prevented Ultimate FF even if he'd tried. As it was, he got fired from the book when it was a hit (and then hired back a week later), so it's not like Bill Jemas was intimidated by Mark, any more than he was by me.

kdb
    It was a real shame your run ended prematurely.

I guess history might be repeating for Wells' run on ASM.

Actually aren't the rumours that Wells is leaving at 60? So it really would be a repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    It was a real shame your run ended prematurely.

I guess history might be repeating for Wells' run on ASM.

Actually aren't the rumours that Wells is leaving at 60? So it really would be a repeat.
    Maybe Kurt could be the one taking over ASM this time.

Ultimate Invasion 4 doesn’t hint at all about who will be Spider-Man. Guessing we’re waiting for NYCC.

My own hunch with spoilers for UI: spoilers:
    Hickman’s revamp of the 6160 Marvel Universe is utterly weird to the point yet I can’t see Spidey being anyone but Peter. There’s no F4 and it doesn’t look like there ever will be since they’re dead and 6160 Reed is a heroic Dr. Doom. Tony is Iron Lad instead of Iron Man. They’re going to need an anchor book that is at least somewhat familiar and I expect that is what USM will be. It will be college aged Peter becoming Spider-Man in somewhat traditional adventures to get ease people into this new universe. Maybe Uncle Ben will be long dead or maybe they’ll take a page out of the MCU and it will just be Aunt May this time - maybe even have her be the one who dies. I think Peter will have been groomed to be a technocrat like the ones who run the 6160 Earth, and his story will be about rebelling against that.
    end of spoilers
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/