Page 28 of 126 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Subjectively speaking, I think what he’d need to accomplish is a character-driven and ultimately inspirational take on family and love. All the best Spider-Man moments, IMO, are driven by that love for others pushing the hero to do the impossible for their sake. He needs the struggle, but more important is he needs the victory. He needs to “come home” at the end of the battle. How he gets there and what that entails is his story to reveal.

Uncle Ben is also a big question. I’ve seen some stories suggest that if he never lost Uncle Ben, he’d never be a hero. That it’s his “canon” event. Yet I’ve seen others suggest that Uncle Ben was a good man and he would have steered Peter right regardless of the bite.

We’ll see.
    I think a critical part of Peter Parker is that he failed to act on his responsibility and paid the price for it, and that's what inspires him to be a hero. That's a big part of what drives him alongside the core values instilled in him by Uncle Ben and Aunt May. The inherent tragedy of Spider-Man.

But if he never had his powers at an impressionable age he never had that power high or that feeling of superiority before things crashing down. He also didn't have to be a neurotic mess having to juggle so many different things at such a young age. Now he'll have to do it as an adult but also potentially having to juggle even more than he did in 616.

Subjectively speaking, I think what he’d need to accomplish is a character-driven and ultimately inspirational take on family and love.
    Should be way easy enough. I'll just program the HICKMAN BOT....

(BOOM!)

The HICKMAN BOT exploded! It was never programmed to process such things. It was only created for world building!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

That is why it is such a new take on the Peter Parker Spider-Man story, most of the time as a teenager you started to figure out who you are, but as an adult you settle who you are.

It would be still an interesting story whether or not Ben is still alive or not, or when Peter losses Ben now or early.

Subjectively speaking, I think what he’d need to accomplish is a character-driven and ultimately inspirational take on family and love.
    One of the concrete things I regret about One More Day is that we never got to have Mary Jane and Aunt May as part of the Fantastic Four family while Peter was a member of Hickman's Fantastic Four. The dynamic and contrast of including the one family in the orbit of the other would have had more to say about family than just including Peter in the FF.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

There's something very reassuring about the fact that a genius like Jonathan Hickman would be interested in the two Marvel concepts that fascinate me the most: Married Peter/MJ and a thriving mutant culture and society.

Two things we were consistently told were 'story dampeners' for most of this side of the Y2K.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Should be way easy enough. I'll just program the HICKMAN BOT....

(BOOM!)

The HICKMAN BOT exploded! It was never programmed to process such things. It was only created for world building!
    I recommend reading his Fantastic Four run, because it was all of that and more. There's a reason why he's considered one of the book's best writers.

He also had Spider-Man in his book. His Pete was pretty genuine, though he also didn't do much since he was mostly there to fill in for Johnny. But the scene where Peter talks to Franklin about his uncle's death still sticks with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

One thing I just thought about is this isn't just for marriage fans but also for fans who want Peter to be the only Spider-Man of his Earth because I don't see Hickman proliferating this world with a bunch of Spider-People from the get-go or any time soon.

There also aren't enough active heroes to busy up the book with guest stars.

Astonishing Member

I can see Hickman giving Mayday powers, so Peter will be mentoring her, but it's definitely going to take some time before we get there.
    By the way, it would be interesting, if in the future (not neccessary in USM, I would like to see it anywhere where it's possible) there's a story similar to Morrison's Batman and Robin, where Miles as Spider-Man is mentoring Mayday. It would be pretty interesting dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I can see Hickman giving Mayday powers, so Peter will be mentoring her, but it's definitely going to take some time before we get there.
    By the way, it would be interesting, if in the future (not neccessary in USM, I would like to see it anywhere where it's possible) there's a story similar to Morrison's Batman and Robin, where Miles as Spider-Man is mentoring Mayday. It would be pretty interesting dynamics.
    That would be kind of surreal if only because Mayday as a solo hero dates back wayyyyyy before Miles was even a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That would be kind of surreal if only because Mayday as a solo hero dates back wayyyyyy before Miles was even a thing.
    What does surreal mean in this context? Totally tubular?

From 92 to OMD I got pretty much bought all the Spidey Books Amazing, Spectacular, Spider-Man, Sensational, Web, you name it. Then OMD happened it wasn't so much the end of the marriage but the execution. I mean MJ was pretty wishy-washy when it came her feelings of Peter being Spidey so her finally having enough of the danger and worry and just throwing in the towel and ending it, but remaining friends would have been OK to me. Since then, I've read some Miles, Superior when Ock was in Charge, and the Spiderverse and Secret Wars Stuff since I'm a sucker for alternate realities/Multiverses but no 616 Peter. Oh, I've read some of the Ben Reilly stuff since I always liked Ben.

But this is the 1st Peter book I'm actually interested in since OMD looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    What does surreal mean in this context? Totally tubular?
    I mean it as just kind of weird .

So excited for this!

I was going to be get Ultimate Spider-man because I am a huge fan of Spider-man and also a fan of Hickman, but seeing the previews brings my excitement to another level.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    One thing I just thought about is this isn't just for marriage fans but also for fans who want Peter to be the only Spider-Man of his Earth because I don't see Hickman proliferating this world with a bunch of Spider-People from the get-go or any time soon.

There also aren't enough active heroes to busy up the book with guest stars.
    This I have disagree with about the other spider-people, and one of the main source of problem for the main or 616 Peter Parker Spider-Man, it is because the of keeping the status quote. Spider-Man is a loner, Peter Parker always has the Parker luck, Peter is stuck as man-child who don't learn his mistake and grow. The people in power at Marvel wants to go back to those golden high school teenage years, but trying to apply to a, let said, mid twenties year out man.

Hey I was part of the camp of Spider-man is Peter Parker and Peter Parker is Spider-Man, but reading hundreds of Spider-Man stores you to see writers are using the same Spider-Man tropes, as I mention before, the Parker luck and being a loner. You can start guessing and able to predict how the story goes and how Peter react, because you read the same story hundreds of time making it boring.

Thanks to movies like enter the spiderverse and across the spiderverse anyone can be Spider-Man, anyone can wear the mask, also the games Marvel Spider-Man. People always wants see themselves as their favorite superhero as themselves. Now I'm in the camp of someone else to follow and see how they react to the same problem Peter went through and that is reason I'm interested in Spider-Boy. Spider-Boy is new, unknown, and has no 60 years of backstory, he's a open canvas.

But I do want to see what kind version of Peter Parker he is, he should be different person than 616 version. Why would a grown man wants to wear tights and fights crime, when has family back home.

Quote Originally Posted by 9AlphaOmega1 View Post
    This I have disagree with about the other spider-people, and one of the main source of problem for the main or 616 Peter Parker Spider-Man, it is because the of keeping the status quote. Spider-Man is a loner, Peter Parker always has the Parker luck, Peter is stuck as man-child who don't learn his mistake and grow. The people in power at Marvel wants to go back to those golden high school teenage years, but trying to apply to a, let said, mid twenties year out man.

Hey I was part of the camp of Spider-man is Peter Parker and Peter Parker is Spider-Man, but reading hundreds of Spider-Man stores you to see writers are using the same Spider-Man tropes, as I mention before, the Parker luck and being a loner. You can start guessing and able to predict how the story goes and how Peter react, because you read the same story hundreds of time making it boring.

Thanks to movies like enter the spiderverse and across the spiderverse anyone can be Spider-Man, anyone can wear the mask, also the games Marvel Spider-Man. People always wants see themselves as their favorite superhero as themselves. Now I'm in the camp of someone else to follow and see how they react to the same problem Peter went through and that is reason I'm interested in Spider-Boy. Spider-Boy is new, unknown, and has no 60 years of backstory, he's a open canvas.

But I do want to see what kind version of Peter Parker he is, he should be different person than 616 version. Why would a grown man wants to wear tights and fights crime, when has family back home.
    That's great but usually the other Spiders generally don't have any bearing on Peter and have their own stories separate from him and generally don't really have much to do with him.

I do think it would be interesting if they brought in Miles and deconstructed the idea that having Miles around is a convenient excuse for Peter to step back as Spider-Man.