Page 4 of 125 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

If Hickman is writing this it is 100% going to be Peter Parker. This feels like a gamble by Marvel to get people positive about Spidey again, same as moving Breevort over to X-Men.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is probably going to be the most high concept Spider-Man ever because that's Hickman's bread and butter.
    Uh-huh, taking "great power" and "great responsibility" to new heights and depths. Hell, 90s TAS, for all the love it still (rightfully) gets, did "high-concept cosmic stakes" later in the web-slinger's story, and did it well enough by ultimately never losing sight of Peter Parker's humanity, which was what saved the Multiverse in the end from being completely annihilated by the Carnage symbiote possessing/influencing a version of Peter/Spidey that had lost his way due to the compounding tragedies and losses in his life. After all, if "our" Peter hadn't been able to successfully gamble that Uncle Ben, or a version thereof, could still get through to what was left of Spider-Carnage's humanity . . . well, bye-bye to reality itself. That's the kind of stuff I'd expect to see from Hickman's take on an Ultimate Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Uh-huh, taking "great power" and "great responsibility" to new heights and depths. Hell, 90s TAS, for all the love it still (rightfully) gets, did "high-concept cosmic stakes" later in the web-slinger's story, and did it well enough by ultimately never losing sight of Peter Parker's humanity, which was what saved the Multiverse in the end from being completely annihilated by the Carnage symbiote possessing/influencing a version of Peter/Spidey that had lost his way due to the compounding tragedies and losses in his life. After all, if "our" Peter hadn't been able to successfully gamble that Uncle Ben, or a version thereof, could still get through to what was left of Spider-Carnage's humanity . . . well, bye-bye to reality itself. That's the kind of stuff I'd expect to see from Hickman's take on an Ultimate Spider-Man.
    That's the kind of stuff I'd like to see too, but I'm just not confident that's going to be Hickman's take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I would expect something closer to the original Spider-man 2099 with high-concept tech and new takes on old characters and stories, more than a traiditional Spider-man comic.

Spectacular Member

It's so weird to have good sounding news about Spider-Man in comics that I don't know what to think.

Astonishing Member

Gonna be on Earth 6160. Unknown who will be the Ultimate Spider-man.

Fantastic Member

I maintain that Hickman is excellent at character dynamics and relationship and the inter character drama drives his stories more than the high concept stuff which serves as a fun, deep, and interesting setting by which he pushes the characters. The crux of his Avengers run is the dynamics between Cap/Tony, Doom/Strange, and Doom/Reed.

He's far better suited to Spidey than Wells or Slott.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

That's the kind of stuff I'd like to see too, but I'm just not confident that's going to be Hickman's take on it.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    I would expect something closer to the original Spider-man 2099 with high-concept tech and new takes on old characters and stories, more than a traiditional Spider-man comic.
    Considering how in the 2020s we are very much experiencing the kinds of things cyberpunk writers in the 1980s and 1990s --- Marvel 2099 being "cyberpunk with superheroes" --- were forecasting or forewarning . . . I could see that working for Hickman's new Ultimate Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Gonna be on Earth 6160. Unknown who will be the Ultimate Spider-man.
    616-Zero you say?

Sounds like laying the groundwork for a full blown reboot of the main universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    I maintain that Hickman is excellent at character dynamics and relationship and the inter character drama drives his stories more than the high concept stuff which serves as a fun, deep, and interesting setting by which he pushes the characters. The crux of his Avengers run is the dynamics between Cap/Tony, Doom/Strange, and Doom/Reed.

He's far better suited to Spidey than Wells or Slott.
    Yeah but I'd say those relationships/characters are pretty far from what one would expect of Spidey and his traditional supporting cast.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
    616-Zero you say?

Sounds like laying the groundwork for a full blown reboot of the main universe.
    This is what's going on in Ultimate Invasion spoilers:
    Ultimate Reed made a universe that seems based on the Ultimate Universe and then travelled through time to intervene in the creation of heroes that might oppose him and is currently the father of Ultimate Kang (whose wearing Iron Man armor)
    end of spoilers

Hickman usually goes for big world/reality shaking stories. It'll definitely be interesting to see what he does for the usually more "grounded" Spidey. At least it won't be boring.

Fantastic Member

Yeah but I'd say those relationships/characters are pretty far from what one would expect of Spidey and his traditional supporting cast.

Not untrue. But I think he excels at personal stories. Such as the Vault issue of X-Men. The stuff with Cyclops and his family. And the family dynamics of the FF.

I think he would be more than capable of excelling at Spider-Man. And compared to Slotto and Wells, him coming up short would be shocking.

But not impossible, because I find Ultimate Invasion extraordinarily boring

Well, this is bold.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

So my favourite writer is writing a "continuation" of my all-time favourite comic.

I'm in...