Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Uncanny Avengers # 2 Review *spoilers*

I enjoyed last issue, this one sadly less so. It felt a bit rushed and underdeveloped in some spaces.

For a quick review, we pick up from the preview pages with the fight between the new Brotherhood and the Unity Squad. Natasha saves Steve, but overall the Brotherhood seem to have the advantage. poor Monet keeps getting knocked around and Rogue weirdly disappears the whole fight without explanation Also they've stolen one of the X-Men's jets too, those jerks.

Psylocke tries to get information from one of the Orchis soldiers, unfortunately he has a psi-blocker and isn't a snitch, so he pops a cyanide capsule hidden in his teeth to die with his secrets.

Then we get a really confusing scene where Rogue stages a psudeo-coup and takes the reigns of the operation and Steve gets upset by this. Which is weird, because number one the argument is more about if Steve dies in the field which he can do as a leader or member and number two Steve never had issues with passing leadership to Havok in volume 1 or Rogue in volume 3. So... not sure where this argument is coming from. Then DP makes a joke about the X-Men being losers and that genocide is their norm.

I get the feeling we're supposed to think DP is right, but he just comes off as insufferable in a not funny way.

The last half of the issue has Captain Krakoa sleep with Andrea and threatening her if she exposes his identity, meanwhile Steve talks to Ulrich about Orchis.

That's... pretty much it, not much happened in this one. Overall, it's a heavy Captain America and set up focused issue. Not really what I wanted for issue 2 sadly and the forced drama was frustrating. Curious what other readers thought on it were though.

It was alright. I'm really not liking the art. Maybe its the colorist or the backgrounds or the lining. IDK.

I find myself not caring about the Avengers and wanting the mutants to go beat ORCHIS ass.

But anyways its servicable.

Spectacular Member

Dialogue, art and characterisation are subpar...

Andrea and Captain Krakoa getting it on in the shower reminded me of Bendis's horrible version of Moonstone in Dark Avengers when she slept with virtually the whole team. She seems to know who he is and I'm leaning towards it being Nuke, with Urich referencing Born Again and the Brotherhood stealing a 'Nuke' lol.

The Deadpool scene REALLY irritated me.

Idk why Duggan is writing his endless need to people please for Cap as a good thing, when he previously wrote Wade working for HYDRA because his loyalty to Cap was stronger than basic critical thinking skills.

Also isn’t there a Sentinel parked outside his daughter’s house ready to throw her into an internment camp? Shouldn’t he be focused on that instead of making fun of the genocide survivors?

Cap didn’t irritate me as much because he kinda just walked away, but idk why he would create a team specifically to deal with a mutant threat and then not feel comfortable with a mutant leading.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    The Deadpool scene REALLY irritated me.

Idk why Duggan is writing his endless need to people please for Cap as a good thing, when he previously wrote Wade working for HYDRA because his loyalty to Cap was stronger than basic critical thinking skills.

Also isn’t there a Sentinel parked outside his daughter’s house ready to throw her into an internment camp? Shouldn’t he be focused on that instead of making fun of the genocide survivors?

Cap didn’t irritate me as much because he kinda just walked away, but idk why he would create a team specifically to deal with a mutant threat and then not feel comfortable with a mutant leading.
    Granted he mindwiped himself from remembering that.

I’m bummed saying this but this is not doing it for me. Compared to Duggan’s X-Men and Iron Man this book is getting the short end of the stick in terms of creativity, time, and energy.

The villains don’t excite me and though Blob is certainly not known for his intelligence, I don’t buy that he doesn’t recognize that’s not Scott’s voice (unless it’s a Scott clone/alt version.) The dialogue of the X-Women is interchangeable and doesn’t actually sound like anyone. Rogue deciding to take over leadership is an interesting idea but it fell painfully flat especially with Deadpool, of all people, lecturing her and the others. The thing that was always gonna make or break this book for me was the utilization of Monet. She has a brilliant mind and was co-running X-Corp. She should be one of the lead strategists and so far she’s been anything but. And while Kwannon’s response to Natasha was funny it was very Betsy coded.

Captain Krakoa having sex with Andrea just a few feet away from the others was disturbing but not in the way I believe it was intended. I look forward to reading future recaps to follow the story but for now I’m bowing out.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

This issue irritated me, it reminded me of some meeting in feminist circles where some male allies want to call the shots even though it is not their time.

And on top of that I don't think Duggan wants to give the mutants the reason and I don't really understand his point....

He's basically saying that in a BLM protest it should be led by a white guy if he's famous?

And nothing really happened, I guess it's a transitional chapter, but I don't know what the title adds to the overall plot of Fall of X.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilargi View Post
    This issue irritated me, it reminded me of some meeting in feminist circles where some male allies want to call the shots even though it is not their time.

And on top of that I don't think Duggan wants to give the mutants the reason and I don't really understand his point....

He's basically saying that in a BLM protest it should be led by a white guy if he's famous?

And nothing really happened, I guess it's a transitional chapter, but I don't know what the title adds to the overall plot of Fall of X.
    Well it IS an Ucanny Avengers book so some insensitiviy on minorities struggle is to be expected.

Agreed, I thought it was kind of the point that Deadpool/Black Widow/Cap to a lesser extent completely missed the point and doesn't understand the perspective of the minorities. I may be giving Duggan too much credit here but I'm biased because I love the Uncanny Avengers concept and cast (minus Deadpool.) I don't know if it was Duggan's intent that we sympathized or agreed with Wade sucking Cap off but it didn't land that way for me.

The best part of this issue, for me, was the barbs thrown between Kwannon & Natasha, about being a telepath & pilot, respectively. That was great.

I enjoy the art. I did laugh at Natasha using a pile of Orchis bodies to rest her rifle(?) on. That was very well executed.

The action is fun -- its always a challenge to balance a cast of this size with the amount of pages per issue, while also driving the story forward.
    Issue one gave Kwannon and Cap some really hot sequences, and issue two did some beautiful Pietro stuff.

Like many X-readers, I am naturally more invested and eager for the mutant appearances/participation vs. Cap, Deadpool & Natasha.
    That's not necessarily a dig at those characters by any means. I'm just patiently waiting for Rogue and Monet to shine.

This was fine. I agree with most of what's been said in here, but I love that Quicksilver was one of the girls standing with Rogue. Once a mutant, always a mutants I guess.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

This summary takes me back. Back to the days where Mutants are 'less than', even in their own books. Of course Duggan is the one who said going into this that Mutants were winning too much, with 'winning' seemingly defined as existing out in the open, so not totally surprised.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I was pretty surprised at how little I enjoyed this issue because Duggan has been on fire lately across all his books, but this UA #2 really didn't do it for me.

Rogue's "fight" with Cap didn't really make any sense and the way it was just dismissed in a couple of pages was both appropriate but also a waste of time frankly. Deadpool was terribly unfunny throughout, I much preferred Kwannon and Natasha's killer one-liner.

And I'm hoping Duggan is misdirecting us with the continued Nuke references otherwise he might as well telegraph Captain Krakoa's identity reveal.

The issue really landed for me. I think it's the urgency this book carries--it MOVES, unlike this week's Dark X-Men. Art's delightful

The deadpool scene...I read it as fighting on the back foot vs fighting to win. Rogue is thinking of POTENTIAL risks with losing Cap and the last shreds of public favor with him, while Deadpool is very much "Captain Krak's whooping us right now. Who cares about tomorrow? We need to be at 100% fighting force now!" It also didn't read too mysogynistic to me since it's a pansexual man speaking, but ymmw

Everything w the Struckers is gross and fantastic. Duggan clearly having a ball lmao