Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I hate the whole concept of the United Planets being set in the modern day so much. Lazy ass Bendis. I can't wait for that whole thing to be retconned away like every other garbage idea he had at DC.
    All they do is keep messing stuff up. But I guess that's business as usual for any governing body in a comic book.

Would be refreshing to see an organization that actually tries to do good and doesn't get blown up 6 months later or doesn't get corrupted.

Incredible Member

I think the writers have lost the thread this past decade.

The United Planets gets a big push by editorial, playing key roles in GL and Superman stories, despite no one actually wanting this organization part of storylines.

The writers keep blowing up the Central Battery and stranding the heroes in alternative dimensions or random universes.
    This results in random power ups that does not lead to sustainable series. Hal and John keep on getting another super saiyan level, and the writers completely lose sight of how a GL ring is what the stories should involve.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I think the United Planets were mentioned in Action Comics and Bendis League but they're actually up and running?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post

The United Planets gets a big push by editorial, playing key roles in GL and Superman stories, despite no one actually wanting this organization part of storylines.

The writers keep blowing up the Central Battery and stranding the heroes in alternative dimensions or random universes.
    This results in random power ups that does not lead to sustainable series. Hal and John keep on getting another super saiyan level, and the writers completely lose sight of how a GL ring is what the stories should involve.
    Don't forget when Jessica also got some kind of power-up in "JLA:Odyssey." (and of course Kyle's had several)

While I'd rather DC just take time making the Guardians and GLC better, I do have hopes that connecting the GLC to the wider DCU will lead to an interesting story. The franchise has been so self-contained dealing with either internal strife or other Lanterns, that maybe a story with the UP will be at least different. PJK and Adams do seem to have something planned for next year.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post

Way back in the 80s or 90s, there was this insane push to use some Legion-era stuff during the 'present-day' comics, and they had this weird 'Invasion!' event where a bunch of Legion-era aliens like the Khunds, Dominators, Durlans and Daxamites, showed up and invaded Earth.

And, what nonsense, *they had the exact same technology they used 1000 years later!* (Despite Earth's technology, and various other worlds technologies, having progressed by leaps and bounds, during that time.)

Just, so dumb. I feel the same way about this latest 'United Planets forming NOW' concept.

Using stuff from a 1000 years in the future during present day storylines is as counter-intuitive as poaching stuff from 1000 years in the past, IMO. It's a 1000 years away. Leave it alone.

It makes as much sense as saying how this latest Batman story is going to be *very crucially affected!* by MacBeth's murder of Duncan, the King of Scotland. Oh, and he used a machine gun, because technology doesn't change over time, it's gonna be exactly the same, even 1000 years apart. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Way back in the 80s or 90s, there was this insane push to use some Legion-era stuff during the 'present-day' comics, and they had this weird 'Invasion!' event where a bunch of Legion-era aliens like the Khunds, Dominators, Durlans and Daxamites, showed up and invaded Earth.

And, what nonsense, *they had the exact same technology they used 1000 years later!* (Despite Earth's technology, and various other worlds technologies, having progressed by leaps and bounds, during that time.)

Just, so dumb. I feel the same way about this latest 'United Planets forming NOW' concept.

Using stuff from a 1000 years in the future during present day storylines is as counter-intuitive as poaching stuff from 1000 years in the past, IMO. It's a 1000 years away. Leave it alone.

It makes as much sense as saying how this latest Batman story is going to be *very crucially affected!* by MacBeth's murder of Duncan, the King of Scotland. Oh, and he used a machine gun, because technology doesn't change over time, it's gonna be exactly the same, even 1000 years apart. :/
    Thank you for saying this.

The neverending urge to drag the races, civilizations, concepts, and sometimes the very characters of the Legion of Super-Heroes 1,000 years into the past without so much as a passing consideration as to what rewinding those races, civilizations, concepts, and characters by 1,000 years actually would *mean* has been sticking in my craw for (oh dear) over two decades now.

I mean, I get the urge - Khunds are fun. Dominators are fun. Durlans are big fun. But c'mon... show some gorram restraint.

I think it is the realization that Legion is dead franchise and might as well cannibalaize it. Or maybe thats one of the reasons why Legion died.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think it is the realization that Legion is dead franchise and might as well cannibalaize it. . Or maybe thats one of the reasons why Legion died.
    Nah - "Invasion!" was plotted by Keith Giffen who was the Legion artist (and later co-writer) so he def didn't think of it as a dead franchise. And Bendis brought the UP to the present day because he was writing the Legion title and it was his way of making it seem more relevant. I doubt either of those were responsible for the franchise's decline. This not being a Legion thread, there's no point going into it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Thank you for saying this.

The neverending urge to drag the races, civilizations, concepts, and sometimes the very characters of the Legion of Super-Heroes 1,000 years into the past without so much as a passing consideration as to what rewinding those races, civilizations, concepts, and characters by 1,000 years actually would *mean* has been sticking in my craw for (oh dear) over two decades now.

I mean, I get the urge - Khunds are fun. Dominators are fun. Durlans are big fun. But c'mon... show some gorram restraint.
    Yeah, its like if they featured Millenials from 2023 in a story set in 1023, and the Millenials were using Tik Tok and smartphones. Are the writers saying that Tik Tok will remain exactly the same from 1023 to 2023?

Amazing Member

If I may ask, what's going on with Jessica Cruz and Kyle Rayner these days? Those are the two I would want some kind of direction (and series) for during this Dawn of DC

Quote Originally Posted by hbomb450 View Post
    If I may ask, what's going on with Jessica Cruz and Kyle Rayner these days? Those are the two I would want some kind of direction (and series) for during this Dawn of DC
    Limbo. Most likely just reassigned somewhere other than sector 2814 unless someone tells us otherwise. We only know Guy's still a GL since he appeared talking to John in the backup.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-28-2023 at 02:06 PM.

Guy and Kyle helped arrest some people at the end of the latest Superboy mini.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    They can stay! But I think a lot of Corpsmen need definitive endings if writers aren't interested in using these characters anymore rather than having them exist nebulously.
    Just because writers aren't interested doesn't mean they need endings. Endings suck.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier