Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Did Gary Frank do the cover?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Did Gary Frank do the cover?
    Yep, that's Gary Frank - pretty good 1:25 variant by Otto Schmidt for this issue as well:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Yep, that's Gary Frank - pretty good 1:25 variant by Otto Schmidt for this issue as well:

These are all Gary Frank? They are pretty awesome, and there are some I'd like to see have cameo in say a single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

I count 12 that don't have the boob window, which is higher than I expected.

Looks like Schmidt counted Overgirl from the Arrowverse as a Power Girl variant?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I count 12 that don't have the boob window, which is higher than I expected.

Looks like Schmidt counted Overgirl from the Arrowverse as a Power Girl variant?
    My eyes are a bit bad for this sort of thing, is there either of the two Injustice 2 video game variants?

That's a weird one. The Arrowverse did have Earth-2 (Jay Garrick) and Earth-3 (heroes are villains) the opposite way around pre-Crisis. But Overgirl wasn't from Earth-2, she's from Earth-X (Freedom Fighters world). Therefore, she's NOT a Power Girl variant. There is an Overgirl in the comics, she's from Earth-10.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

For the little I know about the character, if you asked me which artist would draw each one of her costumes on a variant I'd have been right
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I try so hard not to be "old entitled fanboy" around here, but I gotta ask a cliched question - Who Is This Title For?

'Cause this is looking so much like "Power Girl in Name Only" that I'm just utterly perplexed.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    I try so hard not to be "old entitled fanboy" around here, but I gotta ask a cliched question - Who Is This Title For?

'Cause this is looking so much like "Power Girl in Name Only" that I'm just utterly perplexed.
    Who does it seem to be aimed at to all of you? Obviously not fans of classic PG, mostly long-time fans, I should add. Like me, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Who does it seem to be aimed at to all of you? Obviously not fans of classic PG, mostly long-time fans, I should add. Like me, for example.
    While I can't speak to the intended audience (not me), everything about this revamp just feels so... weird. Between the name change, the power changes, and the odd pairing with Omen, the whole project seriously feels like a pitch for an original character that's been awkwardly square-pegged into a Power Girl-shaped hole.

Extraordinary Member

While I can't speak to the intended audience (not me), everything about this revamp just feels so... weird. Between the name change, the power changes, and the odd pairing with Omen, the whole project seriously feels like a pitch for an original character that's been awkwardly square-pegged into a Power Girl-shaped hole.
    Hmm....you may be right there.

What exactly are those power changes that are still there?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

From what I recall Leah Williams was basically given free-reign with the character. She asked PG's history and the editors responded "Whatever you want".

So what we're witnessing is a writer having way too much free reign over a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    From what I recall Leah Williams was basically given free-reign with the character. She asked PG's history and the editors responded "Whatever you want".

So what we're witnessing is a writer having way too much free reign over a character.
    That's... annoying.

I mean, I get that Power Girl, by dint of her confusing history, is a prime target for the "complete makeover" approach every time a writer uses her, but she's not an empty vessel, fer pete's sake.

And frankly, this makeover is SO extreme that it really does feel like the writer took advantage of her free rein to jam one of her pet ideas into another character.

Extraordinary Member

That's... annoying.

I mean, I get that Power Girl, by dint of her confusing history, is a prime target for the "complete makeover" approach every time a writer uses her, but she's not an empty vessel, fer pete's sake.

And frankly, this makeover is SO extreme that it really does feel like the writer took advantage of her free rein to jam one of her pet ideas into another character.
    They want to "make her over", they need to respect what's come before. PG has a certain personality that you can't just ignore without missing the point of the character. She has a certain general look that can be tweaked at the margins, but MUST still be recognizable as PG. She has a certain general power set that needs to be there. She's from A Krypton, which one can be up for grabs. She's related to Superman and Supergirl, in other words, she's an El (L). How she's related is up to the revamp writer. She can be from Krypton as a baby...or as an older version, up to the writer. Her skills and knowledge have traditionally been Kryptonian---far beyond human. She has ties to the JSA, League, and others.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    These are all Gary Frank? They are pretty awesome, and there are some I'd like to see have cameo in say a single issue.
    No, that's Otto Schmidt.