Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I dont think that DC is embarrassed by her at all. They do realize that Power Girl has a dedicated following and some star/sales power...however the people behind the book have little to no understanding of just why the character has such a fanbase and what it is that makes her special on her own and sets her apart from Supergirl (as well as Wonder Woman and every other flying brick of a woman.) Connor and Palmiotti were really the last people to get that
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Extraordinary Member

Well, CBR has posted a review of this issue. Sadly, I can't see it, as I refuse to supply them with any more information to see what I used to be able to see without that. Can anyone else post at least the gist of that review here?

Astonishing Member

I'm also not registering for CBR. Most of their article are click bait anyway. If they didn't have a message board, I wouldn't even bother.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Haven't read the issue yet myself (should get my copy this week hopefully), but here's some snippets from the CBR review:

Unlike the cognitive battles she experienced in Action Comics, Power Girl #1 is a more straightforward punchfest. Right off the bat, Power Girl seems to have shaken off her self-loathing and is more centered and confident in her own abilities. Writer Leah Williams has used Omen as Paige's compass in the past. But this time, she is there to give her best friend much-needed moral support. This shift works well with Power Girl as she moves at her own rhythm, guiding much of the book's flow. Even when the gloves come off, her explosive anger lights up the issue. Although the story can feel clichéd, it does not try to underplay Power Girl's insecurities or her penchant for making mistakes. Williams weaves that aspect alongside Paige's interactions with the other characters in the book, her conflict with Amalak becoming dramatically intense. She even manages to sneak in Sneaky for a small comedic cameo, adding variety to the finished product.
    This all sounds decent and a change from the backups thus far.

But there's still a heap of praise for the new direction of PG in general, which I have yet to completely warm up to.

Power Girl #1 is packed with action and drama, all while doing a good job of introducing the duality of the character with a modern spin. Almost everyone in the Super-Family has a secret identity. To see Paige find her own, taking into account her affinity for technology and need to help people, tells readers old and new everything they need to know about the character. Williams' fresh take on Power Girl is an exciting step forward for the character, with a strong sense of focus and personality. Bringing back a pre-Crisis villain with xenophobic levels of hatred for Kryptonian -- all while repurposing him as Power Girl's new nemesis -- gives the book ties to DC history while providing something to look forward to going forward. But mostly, the issue is about Power Girl's mission to prove herself. It all comes together to prove that Power Girl #1 is definitely worth reading.
    In all, it does sound like its a different angle than the backups, which I think is a plus. I'm all for a secret identity of some kind, but "Paige Stetler" does not have that much appeal. Personally, I'm going to give it a few issues and see how it goes...
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Haven't read the issue yet myself (should get my copy this week hopefully), but here's some snippets from the CBR review:

This all sounds decent and a change from the backups thus far.

But there's still a heap of praise for the new direction of PG in general, which I have yet to completely warm up to.

In all, it does sound like its a different angle than the backups, which I think is a plus. I'm all for a secret identity of some kind, but "Paige Stetler" does not have that much appeal. Personally, I'm going to give it a few issues and see how it goes...
    Thanks, and that was interesting. But a few things. PG has never had a "penchant for making mistakes". She's usually right, historically. Often unlucky with things that should work, but that's it. It's nice someone is giving her sometimes featured ability with tech a whirl. She's been shown that way on isolated occasions before, with a few half-hearted attempts at explaining why she so rarely shows that, but nothing sustained. Positioned as an arch-enemy? Eh, whatever. I'd rather an original foe, but having seen Johns' go at that, maybe not. So long as Vartox and Harley are ignored henceforth, it's probably a net plus. How many best friends does Karen have? She seems a very friendly sort, apparently.

Extraordinary Member

I know Keith Giffen has written PG before, but I wonder what was the last time he did?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I know Keith Giffen has written PG before, but I wonder what was the last time he did?
    Superbuddies, maybe?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Superbuddies, maybe?
    Hmmm...wasn't there a final title he did before Flushpoint closed everything down for a bit of nu52 flu? Did he do that one, which I think was classic PG's last appearance?

Finally got around to reading the first issue and I kind of liked it. It's not perfect by any means, and reading her name is still like nails on a chalkboard, but overall I do agree that it's already better than the backups in AC have been. Liked the art and the action. I'm also intrigued by the macguffin.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam

Extraordinary Member

Finally got around to reading the first issue and I kind of liked it. It's not perfect by any means, and reading her name is still like nails on a chalkboard, but overall I do agree that it's already better than the backups in AC have been. Liked the art and the action. I'm also intrigued by the macguffin.
    What's the maguffin? And did PG beat her new arch enemy?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    What's the maguffin? And did PG beat her new arch enemy?
    There’s a supposed virus that’s wiping out a lot of people that is apparently from PG’s Krypton, which is why Clark sends her to investigate. And there’s the hook for the next issue.

The fight was a bit of a draw in that the guy gets away (of course) but the action was solidly decent.

Extraordinary Member

There’s a supposed virus that’s wiping out a lot of people that is apparently from PG’s Krypton, which is why Clark sends her to investigate. And there’s the hook for the next issue.

The fight was a bit of a draw in that the guy gets away (of course) but the action was solidly decent.
    You know, you could send me to investigate a virus that originated in my back yard, and I still wouldn't know what I was doing...

But I'm glad she didn't outright lose the fight, DC has loved for that to happen. Regardless of how odd it seems that a Kryptonian loses so often.