Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Also not a fan of the technis 'gold T-1000' look, but I do agree that gold could have been a good color for his metal bits. Or even a more ruddy copper or 'red gold' shade. The silver got old, for me.
    I don't have many books with the Gold Victor look. I saw it in the Young Justice crossover when I was reading that volume tho.

They tried the copper and red gold-ish look on Cyborg Superman. That looked horrid.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    That's what i'm referring to

Real life has gotten in the way of a more lengthy response but i want to reiterate on page 14 of this thread , as i have in many posts, I just want Cyborgs face plate gone and a defined canon based power set that's utilized as it is defined.

That's it .

*shrugs*

For the most part I don't have an issue with Cyborg from the neck down in any of the designs that i've seen (except the Perez design...it's very dated in my opinion).

In fact if someone forced me to choose between either "no face plate" and "a strictly defined canon based power set" that removes opinion based discussions about what people want i'd choose the latter. The core of this back and forth (IMO) is DC not being crystal clear about what the character can and can't do on a consistent basis.

I'm starting to understand the frustration that many DC fans have had with universe resets and the ill defined status of past canon.
    This is well said. They have yet to put in the work to let us know what he definitively is. Reset after reset and no clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Has Cyborg taken off? Has this character, which is one of the extremely few black original characters to not be a spinoff/sidekick/backup, been given an elevated profile? Any major roles that led to anything substantial? No? Then the character you claim to like hasn’t worked. Maybe they should go and stick with a new direction.

Maybe he should be attractive. Maybe he should be more capable based on his powerset. Maybe he shouldn’t be questioning his humanity for the umpteenth time. Maybe he should have more of a supporting cast that doesn’t get reset when DC decides on a new writer. This same ol-same ol hasn’t moved the needle. That’s why this thread has been popping up here for well over a decade.
    Thank you Lord, for saying what needs to be said! Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) never leave the circle jerk cabal of DC higher ups conversation in comics, movies and shows. Why? Look at their aesthetic. Good looking easily relatable to human appearances. They transition from normal looking citizens to chiseled, well built heroes easily in any medium. He got the hook from the very DC office some think are doing him well from a mini he was the lead of. You know who they placed in there? Some nobody Green Lantern! You think the actor was the actor was the reason they didn't do a Cyborg movie? Naw it's the prospect of paying millions for all the extra tech crap they'll have to CGI on him before they even get to the movie. You think if they go with at least a Smallville version upgrade for Vic, the prospect of a good movie would be better, yes it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Neither is Victor.

Victor has had those as well.

You don't need to change Victor's look for him to have an interesting life. And this is my opinion, but Logan doesn't really look that cool. People just accept his design because of the grandfather clause.

What growth has Logan had? The guy has pretty much been the same person for decades. The last interesting development he had was when he lost his healing factor and that was undone.
    What! He went from a guy that you or I have a chance to knock out, to a dude that survives a nuke, can house the Phoenix force, and the world's best fighter. Yeah holy character drift for Logan.

Maaan, nothing hurt more than what they did to Vic in Justice League: Odyssey! The disrespect of reducing him to a “ping”.

And yes, how much easier would it be to use him in live-action if he didn’t need constant cgi or prosthetics? A glowing eye could be enough of a visual to show him interacting with some form of tech without it being necessary to blow money on so much CGI. The when it’s time, deck him out in tech. It may even be possible that a much more notable actor could show interest in playing him being that his face wouldn’t have to be covered up 100% of the time.

Advance the concept of Victor Stone.

A lot of editing and deleting...

1. Let's leave the sarcastic, back-handed general insults off the board.

2. Accusations of either someone being a racist or claims that you'll be called one if you post are out of line.

Take it down a notch, guys.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^And I find it funny that you, Iconic, and others who want Vic to look “normal” and human” are the ones calling him an “outcast Frankenstein’s monster” and saying he looks “f***ed up“.

Judgmental opinions like that based on someone’s appearance illustrate why Vic should serve as a role model to readers who through no fault of their own aren’t as pretty as some ppl in society think they should be, so thank you all for making my point for me.

Whaaaatt!? LOL
    Lol nice one. Why are so many people stuck on seeing Victor as a back of the bus hero when just by nature of what he is, there's no reason for him to stay a Frankenstein. Point of how technology advances, including advanced alien technology is the contradiction of his appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Lol nice one. Why are so many people stuck on seeing Victor as a back of the bus hero when just by nature of what he is, there's no reason for him to stay a Frankenstein. Point of how technology advances, including advanced alien technology is the contradiction of his appearance.
    That’s what it is! Cyborg is simply a contradiction. His powerset doesn’t line up with the visuals & story beats. He’s stuck in a time that no longer exists. Tech keeps improving. Why doesn’t this character get to?

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    That’s what it is! Cyborg is simply a contradiction. His powerset doesn’t line up with the visuals & story beats. He’s stuck in a time that no longer exists. Tech keeps improving. Why doesn’t this character get to?
    Same reason Batman doesn't wear power armor?

Incredible Member

MORGAN HAMPTON / DC EDITORIAL

*and folks interested in data

I took the time to tabulate how much support there was / is for Cyborg to:

1. Maintain his current face plate look
    or
    2. Remove the face plate and / or allow Cyborg to alter his appearance at will (i.e. there is nothing preventing him from doing it at all)

My personal experience when discussing this issue has shown me that about 30-35% of Cyborg fans / interested parties * want to keep the face plate * (as evidenced by a previous post in this thread). I wondered how that % compares to this threads participants opinions considering this is a thread of people interested in, financially invested in and knowledgeable about the Cyborg character.

As of October 12th , 2023 this thread has provided this data:

40 unique posters have provided input on their Cyborg visual preference

35% (14 of 40) DO NOT WANT the face plate on the character and/or they want Cyborg to display an ability to alter his facial appearance at will.

32.5% (13 of 40) WANT the face plate to be maintained

32.5% (13 of 40) "Abstained" and provided no definitive answer.

Over a 1/3 of the interested parties ("fans") either:
    * aren't financially supporting the character based upon this face plate issue
    * would financially support the character *more* if the face plate issue were remedied

This is data pulled from comic book fans on a comic book forum - your core audience.
    That much division exists within your *core audience* over this single issue.

Imagine boosting comic book sales by 15 , 20 or 30% based upon fixing this one issue due to new or renewed interest in the character.

I'd imagine "image conscious parents Joe and Jane Normie " , who may be choosing between your product (action figures, clothing, comic books, etc.) and Marvels, for their child would be better served and swayed by providing them with a more visually appealing Cyborg offering.

I know i would.
    Last edited by Customizer; 10-11-2023 at 11:47 PM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Interesting take on the numbers, more people DON'T want the plate than do, so somehow you see that as a win for the people that do want it?

I'd imagine "image conscious parents Joe and Jane Normie " , who may be choosing between your product (action figures, clothing, comic books, etc.) and Marvels, for their child would be better served and swayed by providing them with a more visually appealing Cyborg offering.
    Imagine kids that found Cyborg from the cartoons or movie and want more stuff with him, but can't find it because the stuff you're putting out doesn't look like Cyborg.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Interesting take on the numbers, more people DON'T want the plate than do, so somehow you see that as a win for the people that do want it?

Imagine kids that found Cyborg from the cartoons or movie and want more stuff with him, but can't find it because the stuff you're putting out doesn't look like Cyborg.
    This isn't an "either or" situation nor a "zero sum conflict".

This data shows that *both*...*all* Cyborg fans can get what they want by DC confirming and showcasing what is already past canon (2015 Cyborg run) - that Cyborg can alter his appearance at will.

I assume everyone here is a Cyborg supporter or they wouldn't be chiming in.

It doesn't have to be one side wins and another loses.

In addition a whole new group of Cyborg fans will be created due to this (assuming the ability is showcased).

Imagine parents that have discovered Cyborg from the cartoons or movie and not wanting more stuff with him for their child because of Cyborgs appearance.

Now they don't have to choose Sam Wilson, Steve Rogers , Iron Man or T'Challa .

You don't have to lose in this scenario Alan.
    Last edited by Customizer; 10-12-2023 at 01:53 AM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    What! He went from a guy that you or I have a chance to knock out, to a dude that survives a nuke, can house the Phoenix force, and the world's best fighter. Yeah holy character drift for Logan.
    That's not growth, that's just power creep.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The numbers are close and neither percentage is close to a majority. They were also taken on a site where the majority here doesn't like Batman the best, so there's that, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member

We got how many versions of Spider-Man and Batman in costumes they never wore in comics? I see a BUNCH of them collecting dust on toy isles for Batman including the ones from Todd McFarlane.

We have a Smallville figure of Cyborg without the face plate.

We have 4 Static figures. Not one is in his Young Justice outfit or his current one.

We have had Black Lightning in an outfit in stores in the Total Justice Line. Mind you we were still almost 10 years away from him being seen in tv or movies and the one comic that he had with the outfit would NOT see a trade for another 15. Huntress and Kyle were in that line-neither was on tv or in movies yet those toys were on the shelf.

The Wallace West figures who DOESN'T look like Keiynan Lonsdale- had NO selling.

Where is the Batman Car show Duke Thomas figure at??? Instead of the 3 that are out now including his current outfit that was a figure 3 years before Wayne Family Adventures came out?

And we got an entire line of Star Trek The Next Generation figures in outfits they NEVER wore on tv or in movies. See Star Trek Generation movie figures. The cast wore Deep Space 9 uniforms in the movie. We never saw the cast as cadets-yet those figures exist.

Same with TMNT. We never saw TMNT on Star Trek and don't think they won't toss out the human versions of them from Power Rangers eventually.

We get stuff made that doesn't match the tv or movies all the time.

Yet it still at times sells.