Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Based upon my personal experience in discussing the matter both online and off i'd estimate that 33% of people (cyborg fans) agree with you. That number might be different for you but this topic has come up (repeatedly) over the last 10+ years. Considering , based upon my personal experience and discussions, 2/3 of Cyborg fans want either no face plate *or* Cyborg having the ability to switch between face plate or full flesh face at will... DC would better serve its Cyborg fanbase by giving the fans what they want i.e. seeing Cyborg with the ability to alter his facial appearance at will.

Make it apparent that Cyborg can do both pleases 100% of the fanbase.

I can personally say i buy far less Cyborg merchandise because of the issue and would spend more money on DC Cyborg merchandise if they remedied this problem.

The face plate isn't iconic for a fair portion of the Cyborg fanbase at the very least. My personal experience leads me to believe that the face plate is not only *not* iconic for the majority of fans (50.1% or greater) but it's also a detriment or impediment to greater character popularity.

It's an easy fix for DC that doesn't alienate either side.
    Last edited by Customizer; 09-24-2023 at 10:20 PM.
    Don't complain. Create.

The majority won't agree, but a personal fave would be the 2003 animated version (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-24-2023 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post

The face plate isn't iconic for a fair portion of the Cyborg fanbase at the very least. My personal experience leads me to believe that the face plate is noy only *not* iconic for the majority of fans (50.1% or greater) but it's also a detriment or impediment to greater character popularity.

It's an easy fix for DC that doesn't alienate either side.
    ^^^I'm not buying that at all.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    The majority won't agree, but a personal fave would be the 2003 animated version (XD)

It's one of my favorite versions of the many Cyborg character designs as well.

I was *really* close to buying the McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse figure based upon this design. It's that good to me heh.
    Don't complain. Create.

Ultimate Member

I like the classic Perez-era look, cyborg lower legs, but still some thigh left, same for the arm, still some shoulder meat / upper arm left, the other arm might even be fully organic, but with some metal armor, and the top quadrant of his head (and one eye) cybernetic, but the rest intact.

But I also would prefer if he had some sort of armor to cover the meaty bits, when he goes out in the field, including a transparent-metal faceplate of some sort, so that none of his terribly-vulnerable fleshy bits are unprotected when the bullets and blasts start flying! He's lost enough fleshy bits, no reason to leave any more hanging out there!

The cartoon version is what it is (not a fan of goth Raven or chirpy waif Starfire, for that matter), but he was never really 'the tank' of the comic team, so there's no reason to build him like the Thing or the Hulk. Donna was 'the tank.' And she didn't need to be build like a truck to do that. (Nor would *a cyborg,* for that matter. Schwarzeneggar didn't play Six Million Dollar Man, after all.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I hate the half head on a walking tank body look. Even if it is not real flesh his arms at least should look human and he should not be this big bulky walking tank. This is about the best look he has had in decades an I hope thy stick with something along these lines going forward.

Yeah this design was amazing. Not just the best Cyborg look but one of the coolest character designs I had seen in a long time. So incredibly stupid that they trashed this version and went back to the bulky tank armor and the “am I a man or a machine-monster?” version of Vic.

This version was able to change back into his regular human form and really seemed like a true modern tech hero.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I wouldn't be happy. You'd be ditching the most iconic aspect of the character.
    Yeah... there's always someone unhappy with change. Even positive change, but that look is what holds him back more than any other
    factor. Even considering that he's popular as is but if he was somehow not an eyesore or ALLOWED to not be it'd be a great thing.
    I mean... he's not "The Thing" from marvel.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah this design was amazing. Not just the best Cyborg look but one of the coolest character designs I had seen in a long time. So incredibly stupid that they trashed this version and went back to the bulky tank armor and the “am I a man or a machine-monster?” version of Vic.

This version was able to change back into his regular human form and really seemed like a true modern tech hero.
    ^^^Agree to disagree I guess, but characters like Vic (or Robotman) represent overcoming adversity and still rising up to do right and live their best life.

The faceplate doesn’t hold Vic back it defines him. The guy had terrible accident, dealt a horrible hand; if he could just “look normal” whenever he wanted what’s even the point of him.

There are a lot comicfans w. physical and psychological disabilities and characters like Vic being able to turn off their own disabilities whenever the want to doesn’t really really do much in the way of inspiring them does it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^I'm not buying that at all.
    I have to agree. The most iconic Vic in the comics is the '80s version when the Teen Titans owned DC, while the animated Cyborg of this century has an even bigger fanbase. Both have the face plate, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Yeah... there's always someone unhappy with change. Even positive change, but that look is what holds him back more than any other
    factor.
    Even considering that he's popular as is but if he was somehow not an eyesore or ALLOWED to not be it'd be a great thing.
    I mean... he's not "The Thing" from marvel.
    His popularity long before DC put him on the Justice League says otherwise.

Retired

To be honest, I don't keep track of these modifications. So to me Cyborg looks more or less the same in all these iterations. The changes are slight when you consider the much more drastic changes that happened to Victor, where he became virtually inhuman and had completely different bodies. I'm just happy to see him returned to the same basic design from the early 1980s (I guess all that stuff that was done to him has been forgotten in the new timeline). So long as he retains his humanity and doesn't become full machine, that's all right.

Personally, though, I like it when the damage to his body is asymmetrical. It seems too convenient if his body was injured evenly on both sides in the accident and his design has perfect symmetry. I prefer that maybe he has more of one arm than the other, more of one leg than the other. You always see this asymmetry in the head design (when he isn't completely altered). And I think character designs that have asymmetry are cool--like Metamorpho the Element Man, Ultra the Multi-Alien--they're a neat contrast to most super-heroes.

IMHO, George Perez's original design had the right mix of robotic and fleshy parts. Plus, he looked freaking powerful. He's supposed to be a Cyborg, not a Robotman with half a fleshy face. It's been hard to find later designs that have been able to picture that distinction just the right way.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Agree to disagree I guess, but characters like Vic (or Robotman) represent overcoming adversity and still rising up to do right and live their best life.

The faceplate doesn’t hold Vic back it defines him. The guy had terrible accident, dealt a horrible hand; if he could just “look normal” whenever he wanted what’s even the point of him.

There are a lot comicfans w. physical and psychological disabilities and characters like Vic being able to turn off their own disabilities whenever the want to doesn’t really really do much in the way of inspiring them does it.

That, IMHO, is what is called a genius move in storytelling.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    My son was confused watching Young Justice because Cyborg looked so different than the Justice League movie. Then I showed him how throughout the years in the comics that Cyborg has looks different.

How do you prefer Cyborg when it comes to his "human parts vs robot parts". Sometimes his entire one arm is human, and his other arm isn't. Sometimes he's robot from the elbows and knees down. Or like in the movie he's basically a machine from the next down.

What do you think looks best?
    I'll always have a fondness for his original look and powerset because his first appearance made a huge impact on me as a middle schooler. I think his current look is the only upgrade that I've actually liked so I'll be happy if it sticks for awhile. My least favorite was probably how he looked right before his current upgrade.

I liked Cyborg's DCYou by Ivan Reis. It reminds me of his animated look but with more of a modern update.