Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

When it comes to the talk of prosthetics…what prosthetics? What at one time may have been the case, today it no longer is.

Since the motherbox, those parts are his. There’s no greater scene than David Walker’s closing to Cyborg Divergence where Vic is mortally wounded and he regenerates into the greatest version of himself. At that point he became one with the tech. Semper then carried that on with his Singularity arc.

Excuse the error with the pics. Couldn’t figure out how to swap them out with better versions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Iconic; 10-23-2023 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    When it comes to the talk of prosthetics…what prosthetics? What at one time may have been the case, today it no longer is.

Since the motherbox, those parts are his. There’s no greater scene than David Walker’s closing to Cyborg Divergence where Vic is mortally wounded and he regenerates into the greatest version of himself. At that point he became one with the tech. Semper then carried that on with his Singularity arc.

IMG_3284.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    Bro, I still get heated at how cowards literally folded and packed up what was the best notion of evolving into the best version of himself. It's mind-numbing how reckless black characters are handled in this case by DC. The look says so much about everything Victor is and should look like.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Huh! Interesting! You can't even collect disability, not even be registered as 'disabled,' if your gear is too nice? Curious implications on the legal end. Nice find! Okay, so what's the word then? Is it just amputee?
    Right lol!? I shouldn't make light of this but i couldn't help but laugh at the idea of someone being told "You aren't disabled enough". Regarding whether or not he is an amputee it would depend upon whether he has use of nanotech and / or his mother box in his origin. If so..he isn't an amputee. Am i an amputee if i can morph and regrow my arm cannon / lower arm?

Cyborg's origin story was changed so that his enhancements were the product of alien technology, specifically that of a Mother Box from the planet New Genesis. His cybernetics are now seen as a living extension of his body
    As far as i understand Cyborgs current origin includes the Mother Box.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think what needs to be done and stay consistent in non-Cyborg led books like JLA or Titans or guest spots.

What can he do and not do.

He has a motherbox -

Why can't he and Exxy travel to other worlds on it? Why can't Exxy go on a universe tour singing "Cyborg and me" or taking a set of Earth delegates to another planet for a conference or colonizing a planet?

Address the genitals issue. Because there is a bigger issue that is NOT being addressed.
    What reproductive material is he producing?
    Can that get a woman pregnant?
    Admittedly this crossed my mind as well. It's one thing to be able to approximately reproduce a physical structure that passes the eyeball test. It's another to reproduce that structure precisely on a genetic level. I have zero doubt that Cyborg can reproduce any part of his anatomy approximately (hair follicles, cornea , skin , muscle , pigmentation , etc.). Whether or not he can reproduce it precisely opens up a different discussion regarding:

* what it means to be a MUTANT (like X-Men)

* whether Cyborg could code his genetic output (i.e. his post injury repairs apply to him individually and allowed him to function completely normally. IS his human baseline condition still the default genetic code? )

* how extensive is his healing factor (because that IS what he has now. As Iconic pointed out he did come back from the dead in Walkers run and that was continued by Semper Jr)?

And did anyone read Dceased: War of the Undead Gods? He received an "upgrade". Is Dceased ...canon ?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    As long as he's badass, doesn't get torn apart or need help to beat the bad guy, it doesn't really bother me what his specific design happens to be. That said, if I had to choose then one with more skin would be more preferable.
    How do you feel about the character being able to evolve ?
    Last edited by Customizer; 10-23-2023 at 08:48 PM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think what needs to be done and stay consistent in non-Cyborg led books like JLA or Titans or guest spots
    Not just in ensemble titles, but in his own too! Vic's got tons of awesome stuff just laying around nobody ever follows up on, if somebody took the time to collect it all? I bet it'd be pretty wild.

Totally agree about Vic doing cosmic stuff. He's hardwired into a Mother Box, at the very least he's processing the Source itself, at most he's basically a demigod of the Fourth World. Vic should be able to go toe-to-toe with any of DC's heaviest hitters and hold his own. This guy should be operating on the same level as Clark or the Lanterns, not protecting a single city. I mean, he can do that too of course, I want variety in his threats and that includes scale and scope. But there's no damn reason he shouldn't be showing up in the Vega system to single handedly end a space war, or popping over to earth-26 for lunch, because his favorite pizza joint never went out of business on that world.

Address the genitals issue. Because there is a bigger issue that is NOT being addressed.
    The broken black man troupe needs to be tackled in its entirety. But I dunno how deep into the nitty gritty we need to go here. I have zero interest in knowing how Vic's sperm works. It's enough to know that it does work. Just establish that all his man bits are original and fully functional, with no cybernetics above the thigh or below the ribs, and show him in an intimate relationship. That'll tell readers what they need to know and disprove any passing similarities to the troupe. I think that's probably enough, and I'd rather not call more attention to the troupes than what's necessary to disprove them and blast them for the bullshit they are.

If the question is whether his kids would have powers too, nanites from in utero? I'd say probably/certainly? With the tech fully integrated into his system on every level, why 'wouldn't' it include reproductive systems? And I'd take it a step further and say that Vic's character arc doesn't benefit, on the largest scale, if his powers aren't passed down. If Vic is meant to be the real Man of Tomorrow and rep a new path for humanity or however you want to look at the long-game with him, then his lineage needs to pass that on. He can't be a one-generation superhuman and claim to represent the future. But really, it's an answer without a question because Vic's unlikely to have kids in main canon anytime soon. Whenever someone shows up claiming to be his kid from the future or an alternate earth or whatever, it'll just be for an arc or an Elseworld or something, and the writer will spin it however that story needs it to go.

If Cyborg MUST have issues with Daddy-
    I'm really feeling what Hampton is doing right now. Silas dead, but downloaded into an AI. In a way, these two have traded places and now Vic's the one responsible for helping somebody adjust to a new bionic form. I love the parallels there, and Hampton is swinging it without dumping all of Vic's anger and resentment towards his old man. Which is good, Vic can get right with himself and accept things without having to forgive Silas for the crap he pulled. He can let it go and still know his dad is/was a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    This is part of why I liked the old Super Friends take. Vic got respected as a member of the team.
    I watched it as a kid, and I know it's where I first saw Vic (and Firestorm) but other than that I don't remember anything about the show at all. But I'm glad Vic was treated right!

See there's several ways to define disabled.
    True. With superheroes there's always some leeway anyway, because this crap is higher-concept fiction. I don't know if we really have the language to describe some of these guys, so I just use what I use.

Well you need to consider this: what defines him as a character? Why change that?
    Exactly. If Vic is gonna do 'this' or do 'that' then the justifications and reasoning has to come from him, or the change will be seen as artificial/agenda riding, and it won't stick. So what makes the best story for Vic now? If he's accepted himself as a man-machine hybrid or whatever you want to call it, if he's cool with his technological elevation, then why does he still want to hide his bionics? Conversely, why would he decide to leave them visible, if hiding them is easy? He either retains the goal he had early on, or his opinion has shifted with time and maturity, and either way he has to be the one driving that choice. So who is Vic Stone, today? Is his self-image still the fully organic teenager he was, or has he accepted the circuitry as part of him? Is he someone who hides who he is, or someone who flaunts it?

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    Right lol!? I shouldn't make light of this but i couldn't help but laugh at the idea of someone being told "You aren't disabled enough
    Not gonna lie, the same thought had me laughing too.

And did anyone read Dceased: War of the Undead Gods? He received an "upgrade". Is Dceased ...canon ?
    It is not, far as I know. I was gonna grab it because Cyborg was supposed to have a big role, but then I found out he was just important to establishing the premise and my interest died. But it has like, a ton of spin-offs and sequels so it must've sold well.

You mean like tech upgrade? He's been doing that since long before Wolfman left, it's baked into the character. Even the Mother Box shouldn't be his 'final form' as long as the DCU has something even bigger. Someday I expect him to adapt into some Monitor tech! If you mean character growth, well, I wish we had more of it.
    Last edited by Ascended; 10-24-2023 at 01:59 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You mean like tech upgrade? He's been doing that since long before Wolfman left, it's baked into the character. Even the Mother Box shouldn't be his 'final form' as long as the DCU has something even bigger. Someday I expect him to adapt into some Monitor tech! If you mean character growth, well, I wish we had more of it.
    I was looking for Johnny to provide a more detailed answer so i could add it to the ongoing vote tally.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    Well, what kind of evolution are we talking about. If it's character-wise, I think he evolved past being a Titan long ago just like Wally and Dick did. If it's technological evolution I very much agree with Ascended that he shouldn't have a limit in that regard.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well, what kind of evolution are we talking about. If it's character-wise, I think he evolved past being a Titan long ago just like Wally and Dick did. If it's technological evolution I very much agree with Ascended that he shouldn't have a limit in that regard.
    I think you've covered it with that answer
    Don't complain. Create.