Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

The way George Perez designed him:
    Cyborg.jpg

Ultimate Member

Looks aside, his more recent origin (seen, among other places, in the Young Justice cartoon) involving a Mother Box / Father Box and Apokaliptan tech is way cool, and would have given him the same sort of built-in arc that Raven had with Trigon and Starfire had with her return to Tamaran / confrontation with Blackfire.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Love to see him like he was originally & with the Titans, he was the heart & soul loved when he was the leader of the Teen Titans
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    Love to see him like he was originally & with the Titans, he was the heart & soul loved when he was the leader of the Teen Titans
    ^^^You reminded me of the ‘03 TEEN TITANS cartoon, where Vic’s enroute to start his own chapter of the team, and riffs on the show’s actual theme song…!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The way George Perez designed him:
    Cyborg.jpg
    Man, there was a time where too many male characters were basically wearing briefs with their upper legs exposed, I don't think its aged very well. I'd take Perez's design, go full robot legs, cover up the exposed chest so he can have the glowing circle, or "C" logo and call it good. Face plate remains, thats his signature look, and allows for the reaction of the public when they see him. Keep the exposed flesh on the arms above the elbows. IMO.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Just let the man keep his penis.
    I have to agree. There's been at least a couple of times that they've shown him severely damaged and it's shown that his original accident pretty much annihilated anything from the waste down. There's something incredibly problematic about that happening to a POC.

Anyway, this is my preferred Vic look:

The differences are subtle from the original Perez look, but just different enough for me to be more on board with it.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I have to agree. There's been at least a couple of times that they've shown him severely damaged and it's shown that his original accident pretty much annihilated anything from the waste down. There's something incredibly problematic about that happening to a POC.
    ^^^I dunno I mean Cliff Steele’s a white guy, and he lost everything but his brain.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post

Anyway, this is my preferred Vic look:

The differences are subtle from the original Perez look, but just different enough for me to be more on board with it.
    ^^^I remember really liking this when it debuted.
    It also nicely addresses the issues tib2d2 w. the briefs and exposed legs look.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^I dunno I mean Cliff Steele’s a white guy, and he lost everything but his brain.

There is a difference when you are limited in POC in books.

Along with how much better writing has Cliff had versus Cyborg.

How many times has Cliff been blown up or tore into in Doom Patrol?

We have also seen this guy have relationships and evolve. While Cyborg is stuck with man vs machine and hating his Daddy stories.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

We have also seen this guy have relationships and evolve. While Cyborg is stuck with man vs machine and hating his Daddy stories.
    Isn't Cliff pretty much stuck with the same status quo just like Victor? And we have seen Victor in relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    But when your comic book universe is 90% straight white males it’s not much of a thing to have Cliff loose his whole body. The majority of your characters are still perfect looking god-like white guys.

DC held up Cyborg as their main POC representation on the Justice League and their most prominent black character. The also made him a castrated freak always questioning his humanity. That’s not a good look.

If Cyborg is on the Teen Titans and his teammates are a demon girl, an orange alien, and a green shape-shifter his cybernetic disability is less glaring. Most of the Titans had issues.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

^^^And yet who’s more popular.

Story quality, character development and getting blown/tore up are all different subjects,

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Isn't Cliff pretty much stuck with the same status quo just like Victor? And we have seen Victor in relationships.
    but I’d put money on Cliff’s body being destroyed waaaay more than Vic’s has in their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    But when your comic book universe is 90% straight white males it’s not much of a thing to have Cliff loose his whole body. The majority of your characters are still perfect looking god-like white guys.
    ^^^Its funny you saying that because I’ve seen literally hundreds of threads here in just the 4 years since I registered dedicated to (or derailed into) rampant cries for diversity, yet in Vic we have a character who, aside from being black, represents a largely ignored demographic in the physically disabled and (some not all) ppl are calling for him to look more “normal”.

That’s messed up. -shrug-

Retired

I don't know why comic book fans have a problem with exposed skin, especially in male characters. Exposed skin is normal.

For Cyborg, seeing his exposed skin on different parts of his body serves to remind us that half his body is flesh and the other half machine. When I say half I don't mean this as a mathematical fact--just as an approximation. This reminder affects us more than if his whole body was covered in white machine parts.

And having worked with paraplegics and amputees, I can tell you that exposed skin is a regular fact of life for them--for reasons I won't go into, but it's just easier a lot of the time than trying to manage with trousers and buttoned shirts. Covering up is more for the rest of us than for their own comfort and convenience.

I don't see Cyborg as being the same as Robotman. More of Victor survived his accident than just his brain. Cyborg is more biological than Robotman and Robotman is more biological than the Metal Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I hate the half head on a walking tank body look. Even if it is not real flesh his arms at least should look human and he should not be this big bulky walking tank. This is about the best look he has had in decades an I hope thy stick with something along these lines going forward.

This look, with none of the M&M shell metal pieces on his face and head would be the best compromise for A man who is evolving continually as advanced amalgamation of human and tech.