Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Isn't Cliff pretty much stuck with the same status quo just like Victor? And we have seen Victor in relationships.
    What's point of him being in a relationship with his wickless wonder design?? Every body else on the Teen Titans was shagging each other, Victor was hooked up to a power box like a step and fetch it eunuch. The whole point of ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY is that does things people would never expect. The best look for Victor is the most logical look. Dropping the tin can Frankenstein body from the 70s and update him.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I have to agree. There's been at least a couple of times that they've shown him severely damaged and it's shown that his original accident pretty much annihilated anything from the waste down. There's something incredibly problematic about that happening to a POC.

Anyway, this is my preferred Vic look:

The differences are subtle from the original Perez look, but just different enough for me to be more on board with it.
    If the face plate were removed that would be a completely acceptable look IMO. Not my favorite but acceptable sans metallic head portion.
    Don't complain. Create.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    What's point of him being in a relationship with his wickless wonder design?? Every body else on the Teen Titans was shagging each other, Victor was hooked up to a power box like a step and fetch it eunuch. The whole point of ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY is that does things people would never expect. The best look for Victor is the most logical look. Dropping the tin can Frankenstein body from the 70s and update him.
    What is the point of making him a cyborg if he essentially looks just the same as any other powered human? Part of his character design (not just appearance but personality) is based on Vic Stone being 24/7 trapped in a unique body. It would be like making Ben Grimm into just another Adonis with strength and durability by deciding to remove the "orange rock look"

There has never been any evidence of Victor being a eunuch and you're moving the goal posts. Victor has been in relationships and isn't just a step and fetch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    What is the point of making him a cyborg if he essentially looks just the same as any other powered human? Part of his character design (not just appearance but personality) is based on Vic Stone being 24/7 trapped in a unique body. It would be like making Ben Grimm into just another Adonis with strength and durability by deciding to remove the "orange rock look"

Victor doesn't have to be ugly just to show himself a Cyborg, you do realize this? You may want him to keep an unappealing aesthetic so the character can be in a perpetual state of suffering. Never having to ability to do things to progress and heal from 5he trauma he has to face every day looking as a half a man. Why not turn the page and at the same time be a cool character. Cable from X-Men is for all intent and purposes a Cyborg and has much of the same pathos of man/ machine identity while being a bad ass. You seem to be with the lot that wants to defy even real technological advances in prosthetics, we currently can make artificial limbs that look amazing. My opinion about Victor's look is one of logical progression, not my feelings. The man-tank, bucket of bolts looking Victor begs for Insulting situations that he's found himself in like being busted apart or taken over too many times.

Incredible Member

The Cyborg character can, literally at will, alter his physiology.

Cyborg can morph from having limbs with advanced weaponry to limbs with gloved hands showing skin covered fingers. He can morph from a fully "flesh" covered arm to having that same arm being covered in segmented armor.

How is Cyborg trapped in a fixed appearance, let alone a body, when he has shown repeatedly that he has this ability to change body parts at will? Cyborg isn't a "brick" or mutant. He's living evolving advanced technology with the ability to convert / change / morph any part of his body into an energy emitting weapon or device.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    Cyborgs face plate size has been reduced and changed.

I bring this up as this modified face plate has been shown along side 2 older face plate designs of Cyborg on the same page (issue #1 of the current 2023 Cyborg solo series).

1. The vintage (80's) larger face plate design that covers his cheek and chin with a "head band".
    2. A different design that gives Cyborg a metallic chin strap but both flesh cheeks are exposed along with the face plate.
    3. The current (2023) design which covers the upper right quadrant of his face only.

This, again, confirms in this current run what we already know but what seemingly gets ignored (?) - Cyborg can (and does) alter his physiology including his face at will.

In addition there's another panel (issue #1) where his left hand that seemingly has "flesh" exposed (his fingers on his left gloved hand) is shown supporting a falling building. The left arm with that left hand is performing this feat alone as his right arm is spraying flame retardant on the building. Flesh fingers couldn't support that buildings weight nor create hand imprints in the building so its an enhanced hand in which case.... Cyborg is making the enhanced left hand APPEAR like flesh. That same left hand is attached to a flesh left forearm.

Later in that same issue we see a vintage Cyborg with 2 fully cyborg forearms up to the elbows / lower bicep. THAT vintage Cyborg image is next to another image of Cyborg suspended in air with his left arm (formerly flesh covered) being fully robotic (and his right arm being shown as completely flesh) again confirming that he can make his entire robotic left arm appear as "flesh".

In issue #2
    we see Cyborgs "flesh" tipped and gloved left hand and forearm....convert to a metallic arm cannon that catches a ball thrown by a villain (named Fastball) and shoots it back at him via this arm cannon. Again...we have confirmation that he can alter his flesh appearing left arm to robotic weaponry at will.

In issue #3 we see a fully flesh (up to the upper bicep at least) left arm for further confirmation.

I considered writer David Walkers Cyborg run where Victor Stone / Cyborg had full control over his body manipulation including his facial appearance while reading Morgan Hamptons work (which has grown on me...).

How do you interpret the data above?

Seeing as how there is no disputing that Cyborg can alter his appearance at will ...... why are we, Cyborg supporters, being saddled with restrictions with regard to how Cyborgs abilities have been shown (i.e. restricting him to face plate appearances only, which many fans object to, and being forced to choose between "armor vs no armor")? **
    How much more evidence do we need when the characters body of work already shows him having this ability? Show him using the abilities that he has consistently. The abilities are established canon.
    Last edited by Customizer; 09-26-2023 at 02:30 AM.
    Don't complain. Create.

There has never been any evidence of Victor being a eunuch and you're moving the goal posts. Victor has been in relationships and isn't just a step and fetch it.
    Fam, did you read the mini where of ALL the characters they made BATMAN a god of technology, this was while Victor was ...sitting right there on the Justice League..!! Please explain how Victor is passed over for something that is quite literally what he is???? Cause most writers don't really care about him, and feel that part of that is due to him not being a cool enough looking hero that folk don't want to live vicariously through him like heroes with better appearances.

Fam, did you read the mini where of ALL the characters they made BATMAN a god of technology, this was while Victor was ...sitting right there on the Justice League..!! Please explain how Victor is passed over for something that is quite literally what he is???? Cause most writers don't really care about him, and feel that part of that is due to him not being a cool enough looking hero that folk don't want to live vicariously through him like heroes with better appearances.
    ^^^I see now what Agent Z meant by moving goal posts.

You quote something directed at your hilarious “wickless wonder” remark and go on about an entirely different subject.

Victor doesn't have to be ugly just to show himself a Cyborg, you do realize this? You may want him to keep an unappealing aesthetic so the character can be in a perpetual state of suffering. Never having to ability to do things to progress and heal from 5he trauma he has to face every day looking as a half a man. Why not turn the page and at the same time be a cool character. Cable from X-Men is for all intent and purposes a Cyborg and has much of the same pathos of man/ machine identity while being a bad ass. You seem to be with the lot that wants to defy even real technological advances in prosthetics, we currently can make artificial limbs that look amazing. My opinion about Victor's look is one of logical progression, not my feelings. The man-tank, bucket of bolts looking Victor begs for Insulting situations that he's found himself in like being busted apart or taken over too many times.
    No one outside of this forum thinks of Victor as ugly.

Incredible Member

A casual google or social media search brings up many negative adjectives describing the appearance of Cyborg.

Including "ugly".

All are from outside of this forum.

I'm looking at ... seven instances of Cyborg being described as "ugly" at this exact moment.

Edit: make that 8 lol. I accidentally stumbled across a post / blog entry describing not only Cyborg as "ugly" but also stating "And don't tell me his face plate is "iconic" because there is nothing really "iconic" about Cyborg's design." .

*sigh* this topic isn't new .
    Last edited by Customizer; 09-26-2023 at 04:26 AM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    A casual google or social media search brings up many negative adjectives describing the appearance of Cyborg.

Including "ugly".

All are from outside of this forum.

I'm looking at ... seven instances of Cyborg being described as "ugly" at this exact moment.

Edit: make that 8 lol. I accidentally stumbled across a post / blog entry describing not only Cyborg as "ugly" but also stating "And don't tell me his face plate is "iconic" because there is nothing really "iconic" about Cyborg's design." .

*sigh* this topic isn't new .
    Really? Because I just googled it now and the only context I found about him being "ugly" was in regards to the live action movie. No one said anything about his comic, animated or Doom Patrol iterations being ugly.

Furthermore this quote, "And don't tell me his face plate is "iconic" because there is nothing really "iconic" about Cyborg's design." is from a 2013 blog post which is specifically talking about the New 52 design. Anyone claiming there is nothing iconic about Cyborg's design is either being disingenuous or clearly doesn't know what iconic actually means.

Either way, a handful of bellyachers on the Internet do not speak for the majority. Most people, believe it or not, don't think or care about how much sex Cyborg has or how attractive he is or isn't. It's not like he's the only black character DC has or even the only black character in the Titans.

Incredible Member

They had a whole joke about it in the injustice 2 game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    They had a whole joke about it in the injustice 2 game.
    ^^^Oh well that settles THAT.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I don't have pictures but I'd prefer something like his look in his first solo series that came out when Johns was on New 52 Justice League. Anything with him looking 50/50 is good. Him being 99% machine like in Titans Academy is stupid.
    "Cable was right!"

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    There is a difference when you are limited in POC in books.

Along with how much better writing has Cliff had versus Cyborg.

How many times has Cliff been blown up or tore into in Doom Patrol?

We have also seen this guy have relationships and evolve. While Cyborg is stuck with man vs machine and hating his Daddy stories.
    Cyborg has been better written than Cliff. The best use of Robotman are probably Grant Morrison's DP run and the Max series.

Also Cliff gets destroyed every volume. The OG Doom Patrol ends with him getting blown up then he gets rebuilt off-page cause the book was cancelled and then he shows up destroyed again in New Teen Titans when Victor and Garfield find him when looking for Mento. Morrison had his body reject his brain and Waid just had him get possessed when Amazo 2.0 took over all the AI on Earth.
    "Cable was right!"