Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Technically speaking, the fight is Daenerys vs Gandalf, so if Danny dies, the fight is over. I think.

GoT dragons are just animals, so I'm pretty sure the dragons need Danny to steer or direct them. Are the dragons "equipment" that Danny has to be able to use, or are they bloodlusted like her? Meaning, if Danny dies, does Dragon continue the fight, or does he screech and fly away?

Anyway, if Danny is the key—if that's correct—Gandalf only has to Jedi-TK and knock Danny off the dragon.

So, fight begins, maybe Danny takes to the sky (her standard tactic, so I think yes, it happens) while Gandalf raises the same kind of force-bubble he used to defend against the Balrog. Then Gandalf just Jedi's her off the dragon, she falls, she dies, bell rings, fight's over, victory: Gandalf.

Attachment 134891

Gandalf's shield took that hit. I don't think it unreasonable to suppose he can deflect dragon fire in the same fashion.
    Thanks for the response. This makes me realize I need to be more specific in my posts. With that said, what is the range of Gandalf's TK? His fight with Saruman started at a closer range. Did he use his TK at any other moments during any of the other films?

Also, assuming the victory for Gandalf includes him defeating Dany AND Drogon, how do you think this would change the outcome of the battle, if at all?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Drogon is significantly larger and more maneuverable than the Balrog, so I'm not sure how Gandalf sets up a win condition with his feats limited to the movies.
    Drogon is not bigger than the Balrog, it’s the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    Drogon is not bigger than the Balrog, it’s the other way around.
    Drogon

Balrog

Also there's the other part of my post questioning how Gandalf sets up his win. Does he just stand there blocking indefinitely or something?

Drogon

Balrog

Also there's the other part of my post questioning how Gandalf sets up his win. Does he just stand there blocking indefinitely or something?
    First, Gandalf is closer to the frame and looks bigger in comparison and the Balrog is crouching in that scene. When he stands up straight he towers over Gandalf. Ian Mckellen is also much taller than Emilia Clarke.

And second, I wasn’t commenting about the fight itself, just the size differences.
    Last edited by Slade1; 09-29-2023 at 05:17 PM.

Deal with it, Smolrog.

Deal with it, Smolrog.
    I still don’t see it.

Not that it matters as Balrog isn’t in this fight. But it would be funny if Gandalf started riding on the Balrog to fight Daenerys and Drogon.

Deal with it, Smolrog.
    A movie made 20 years ago looks better than a high budget series made a few years ago.

Anyway, the fight with the Balrog lasted a LONG time. Not onscreen (book or movie), but in how Gandalf told it. Not only did they fight falling down that ravine, deep into the bowels of Middle Earth, well below where any Dwarf or Orc had gone, but kept going at it all the way to the top of the mountain. I believe Gandalf stated he long lost track of how long the battle ended, but it had been a couple months, at least, since he had parted from the Fellowship. That alone should speak to his stamina. Plus when he came back as Gandalf the White, that was a promotion in every sense of the word.

The Balrog, unlike Drogon, was a corrupted form of Maiar (Angels and Fallen Angels, if you will). They were shock troops and officers of Sauron's, and Sauron's own Master before him. So, extremely powerful, deadly, and the best warriors of a time renowned for Legendary and Fabled Warriors, when Elves were numerous, hunted them down specifically because of how deadly they were. Drogon, is smart, yes, but for a beast. But nothing compared to the Winged Dragons of Middle Earth. Smaug was not only big and powerful, but cunning and wily. And Dany... Yeah, she won't even be able to seduce Gandalf (if she wanted to). Gandalf not only has his powers, but he is an accomplished warrior and leader, as he showed throughout the Trilogy. And Hobbit, if we must aknowledge those films.

To clarify on the fight with the Balrog, and Gandalf's abilities.

After the fall, they fought in the lake- the Balrog with its flames extinguished attempting to batter and strangle Gandalf- until Gandalf damaged it enough to force the Balrog to flee... at which point Gandalf chased him for eight days. The final fight after climbing the mountain was two days, two nights. So it was a total of ten days of combat before he "smote its ruin on the mountainside" only to collapse and die himself. Following this up. When Gandalf returned he was fast enough to react to arrows after they'd been fired, shattered Gimli's axe casually, and instantly superheated Aragorn's blade. This is also completely ignoring his feats from The Hobbit where he does things like smack his staff against stone towers, and cause them to crumble; or flashbang his enemies instantly and flash-step away so fast they lose track of him. Which is all BEFORE the Gandalf the White glow up.

As for the Rumble, I'd be comfortable saying it's Gandalf's fight to lose, he can quickdraw Daenerys.

Drogon is largely irrelevant at least in the short term- at range- considering Gandalf's shields and his ability to slapbox with a being made of fire for two days straight.

EDIT: It is worth noting that in dying, and falling from Zirakzigil the Balrog's body "broke the mountainside." Gandalf was also dead for about twenty days before being sent back. Which explains his absence. Probably also worth noting that movie feats are mentioned so (the chase, and the struggle in the lake) might not count.
    Last edited by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh; 09-30-2023 at 09:27 AM.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    To clarify on the fight with the Balrog, and Gandalf's abilities.

After the fall, they fought in the lake- the Balrog with its flames extinguished attempting to batter and strangle Gandalf- until Gandalf damaged it enough to force the Balrog to flee... at which point Gandalf chased him for eight days. The final fight after climbing the mountain was two days, two nights. So it was a total of ten days of combat before he "smote its ruin on the mountainside" only to collapse and die himself. Following this up. When Gandalf returned he was fast enough to react to arrows after they'd been fired, shattered Gimli's axe casually, and instantly superheated Aragorn's blade. This is also completely ignoring his feats from The Hobbit where he does things like smack his staff against stone towers, and cause them to crumble; or flashbang his enemies instantly and flash-step away so fast they lose track of him. Which is all BEFORE the Gandalf the White glow up.

As for the Rumble, I'd be comfortable saying it's Gandalf's fight to lose, he can quickdraw Daenerys.

Drogon is largely irrelevant at least in the short term- at range- considering Gandalf's shields and his ability to slapbox with a being made of fire for two days straight.

EDIT: It is worth noting that in dying, and falling from Zirakzigil the Balrog's body "broke the mountainside." Gandalf was also dead for about twenty days before being sent back. Which explains his absence. Probably also worth noting that movie feats are mentioned so (the chase, and the struggle in the lake) might not count.
    didn't frodo and sam see some of that fight as flashes of lightning at a distant mountain or am i mis-remembering things?

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    didn't frodo and sam see some of that fight as flashes of lightning at a distant mountain or am i mis-remembering things?
    In the movie Frodo had a dream about the fight, at least until they fell into the freezing lake; but in the book it comments about how they were obscured by the Mists above the World and that anyone looking up would only see flashes of lightning and hear thunder. They were also vaporizing the snow on the mountain from their fight adding to the cover.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan