Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Daenerys vs. Gandalf

Who wins when Daenerys along with Drogon battles against a composite Gandalf the Grey/White? These are the live action versions of these characters/locations from the Game of Thrones show and the Hobbit/LOTR trilogies respectively. Gandalf has his staff and sword. His feats from the extended/deleted scenes of the two trilogies can be used.

vs.

Fight One: The Arena

Fight Two: Composite landscape of "The Battle of the Goldroad" & Pelennor Fields --- Gandalf also rides Shadowfax

Can Daenerys win with just Drogon alone? Or Will Gandalf prove to be too much?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

A way weaker Gandalf the Grey put down the Balrog what's this dragon going to do?

… and now I’ve realised for the first time (because honestly, why would it occur to me) that Drogon is an anagram for Gondor.
    Chief Curmudgeon

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    … and now I’ve realised for the first time (because honestly, why would it occur to me) that Drogon is an anagram for Gondor.
    my god.

tolkein was right when he called martin a pirate who hob-bit his whole shit.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    A way weaker Gandalf the Grey put down the Balrog what's this dragon going to do?
    What feats did the Balrog have? He was big and he fell a long ways...

I don't think anyone can quantify what movie Gandalf's power level is supposed to be. I have never read the books. Based only on the movies, it seems like he can be killed by regular orcs. He fights them constantly and just doesn't let them stab him.

Simultaneously, he falls that aforementioned indeterminate distance and survives.

The most powerful "magic" he performs is TK that's comparable to low-level Jedi Force powers and summoning a lightning strike one time.

I feel like maybe we can say he can shield himself against Drogon's fire breath? He deflected Sauron's... shadowy stuff.

But I don't feel like he could go on the offensive against Drogon at all while he was doing it. If Drogon lets up for a second then I guess he can call a lightning strike with some vague degree of accuracy. Maybe that can hit Dany? Maybe it can kill Drogon?

I feel like movie Gandalf gets way too much credit because of the "angel demi-god immortal" book version of the character I hear so much about. Going by the movies alone, Gandalf would get smoked by a first-year Hogwarts student. His wizardly duel with Saruman is less interesting than a Transfiguration class.

Here, for example, is him fighting a troll. He's trying to use magic, but his staff isn't working.

What are we supposed to make of this when he also can fall at terminal velocity on a flame demon and appear virtually unharmed afterwards? I don't know how you can really reconcile his Balrog fight with anything else he does. Again, he also fights Saruman, who is surely comparable to the Balrog in power, but not only does he lose that fight, the fight is completely unspectacular and he gets defeated by being thrown against a wall a couple times.

Against all three dragons, I think movie Gandalf goes down. Against just Drogon, maybe he can pull off his lightning smite move, but I feel even going that far is being generous given we only see him do it once at close range and he passes out immediately afterwards.
    Last edited by Cantget; 09-23-2023 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Where was Drogon when the Westfold fell?!

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    my god.

tolkein was right when he called martin a pirate who hob-bit his whole shit.
    I don't think GRRM has ever really made it a secret that his world is basically a medieval take on LOTR. The subversion has to reference the original after all
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Cantget View Post
    What feats did the Balrog have? He was big and he fell a long ways...

I don't think anyone can quantify what movie Gandalf's power level is supposed to be. I have never read the books. Based only on the movies, it seems like he can be killed by regular orcs. He fights them constantly and just doesn't let them stab him.

Simultaneously, he falls that aforementioned indeterminate distance and survives.

The most powerful "magic" he performs is TK that's comparable to low-level Jedi Force powers and summoning a lightning strike one time.

I feel like maybe we can say he can shield himself against Drogon's fire breath? He deflected Sauron's... shadowy stuff.

But I don't feel like he could go on the offensive against Drogon at all while he was doing it. If Drogon lets up for a second then I guess he can call a lightning strike with some vague degree of accuracy. Maybe that can hit Dany? Maybe it can kill Drogon?

I feel like movie Gandalf gets way too much credit because of the "angel demi-god immortal" book version of the character I hear so much about. Going by the movies alone, Gandalf would get smoked by a first-year Hogwarts student. His wizardly duel with Saruman is less interesting than a Transfiguration class.

Here, for example, is him fighting a troll. He's trying to use magic, but his staff isn't working.

What are we supposed to make of this when he also can fall at terminal velocity on a flame demon and appear virtually unharmed afterwards? I don't know how you can really reconcile his Balrog fight with anything else he does. Again, he also fights Saruman, who is surely comparable to the Balrog in power, but not only does he lose that fight, the fight is completely unspectacular and he gets defeated by being thrown against a wall a couple times.

Against all three dragons, I think movie Gandalf goes down. Against just Drogon, maybe he can pull off his lightning smite move, but I feel even going that far is being generous given we only see him do it once at close range and he passes out immediately afterwards.

Thanks for this response. Do you think Gandalf's AoE attack he used in Goblin Town can do anything to Drogon? Or would it be enough to knock Dany off of him? Also, can Gandalf's light spell that he used while riding Shadowfax against the Nazgul work on Drogon? Or did it only work on them because the were evil?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

All-New Member

I'm not sure what to make of it. It knocks the goblins down, but it doesn't seem like it actually hurts them.

If we're trying to make sense of Gandalf's powers in the context of a Rumble's match (rather than just handwaving everything as "it's just a movie"), I feel like it would be fair to say Gandalf needs some kind of wind up time/magic words/special circumstances for particularly "powerful" displays like this one. "Powerful" because, again, it doesn't actually seem to do much damage.

Also Drogon is a lot bigger than these guys.

I feel like most of Gandalf's actual feats are very useful for playing "keep away" with Drogon (e.g., pushing him back, stunning him, blinding him), but none of them strike me as, "Oh, that would definitely kill Drogon." Even the lightning smite is hard to quantify. Whatever it is, he still has to hit Drogon with it while trying to avoid fire breath that knocks down castles with its sheer force.

I'm oookaaay saying maybe movie Gandalf can get a lucky hit on Drogon, but overall I feel like Drogon has a very big advantage. He can just fly around unloading fire breath from a couple hundred feet away. Even if you want to argue Gandalf's "fire ring" or whatever it is could protect him from the heat of the flames, the explosive force of the attacks would still kill him.

Gandalf might have a better chance of winning if Drogon lands and fights that way...

...but Drogon is still a dragon with giant claws and teeth.
    Last edited by Cantget; 09-24-2023 at 11:01 AM.

i'm going with the guy who fought and killed a balrog.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    i'm going with the guy who fought and killed a balrog.
    There's also the fight with Sauron in he's Necromancer form.

All-New Member

...Some excellent rebuttals to those previous posts of mine.

Dany makes Gandalf rage quit after explaining the plot of season 8

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Dany makes Gandalf rage quit after explaining the plot of season 8
    gandalf: there is no curse in elvish, dwarish and the tongues of men for that kind of evil.

Technically speaking, the fight is Daenerys vs Gandalf, so if Danny dies, the fight is over. I think.

GoT dragons are just animals, so I'm pretty sure the dragons need Danny to steer or direct them. Are the dragons "equipment" that Danny has to be able to use, or are they bloodlusted like her? Meaning, if Danny dies, does Dragon continue the fight, or does he screech and fly away?

Anyway, if Danny is the key—if that's correct—Gandalf only has to Jedi-TK and knock Danny off the dragon.

So, fight begins, maybe Danny takes to the sky (her standard tactic, so I think yes, it happens) while Gandalf raises the same kind of force-bubble he used to defend against the Balrog. Then Gandalf just Jedi's her off the dragon, she falls, she dies, bell rings, fight's over, victory: Gandalf.

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 4.18.19 PM.jpg

Gandalf's shield took that hit. I don't think it unreasonable to suppose he can deflect dragon fire in the same fashion.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 09-27-2023 at 03:35 PM.

...Some excellent rebuttals to those previous posts of mine.
    Man is savage, but he's not wrong LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Technically speaking, the fight is Daenerys vs Gandalf, so if Danny dies, the fight is over. I think.

GoT dragons are just animals, so I'm pretty sure the dragons need Danny to steer or direct them. Are the dragons "equipment" that Danny has to be able to use, or are they bloodlusted like her? Meaning, if Danny dies, does Dragon continue the fight, or does he screech and fly away?

Anyway, if Danny is the key—if that's correct—Gandalf only has to Jedi-TK and knock Danny off the dragon.

So, fight begins, maybe Danny takes to the sky (her standard tactic, so I think yes, it happens) while Gandalf raises the same kind of force-bubble he used to defend against the Balrog. Then Gandalf just Jedi's her off the dragon, she falls, she dies, bell rings, fight's over, victory: Gandalf.
    I kinda like this rules-lawyerly take. May even be feasible given Gandalf's fight with Saruman in Orthanc.

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 4.18.19 PM.jpg

Gandalf's shield took that hit. I don't think it unreasonable to suppose he can deflect dragon fire in the same fashion.
    I agree with regards to the shield, but I'm having some doubts if Gandalf gets charged by Drogon.

It's possible the wizard would even survive the hit, but I dunno, he'd have to climb onto Drogon after the fact to do something. Drogon is significantly larger and more maneuverable than the Balrog, so I'm not sure how Gandalf sets up a win condition with his feats limited to the movies.

Do Danerys and Drogon just keep strafe firing and charging until Drogon gets hungry after a day or so - ie however long it took Gandalf to fight from the bottom of Moria to the top with the balrog - and try to snack on Gandalf or something?