Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unlimited X-Men #106: The Redroot Sage

Sorry mods IDK what the rules are regarding the Marvel Unlimited chapters

The Redroot Sage written by Steve Foxe and Steve Orlando

We don't see the scene we got at the end of X-Men with Sunfire walking with a small Redroot.

This one starts off with Magic dropping off Sunfire in Otherworld.

She warns him to be careful because they all still do not fully understand Otherworld.

Its dangerous and that time SOMETIMES works differently (would’ve have been nice to have Sunfire speak to Betsy or Brian)

Sunfire is walking through the Crooked Market and a beggar makes a little comment as he walks passed her but a but a pink ogre that notices Sunfire.

He makes a comment about Sunfires stench and knowing that Sunfire is not from around Otherworld

He purposely bumps into him to cause some trouble.

Sunfire quickly handles him just by “flaming on” is what I am going to call it.

Pink ogre calls hima witchbreed and causes a whole scene.

The beggar who ends up being Jim Jaspers snaps the pink ogre out of existence for causing a qaurrel.

Sunfire confronts JJ about Redroot breaking one of his insufferable rules during the tournament and that he was there to bring her back.

JJ makes a comment about him starting to worry about no one caring about her and that Redroot was paying her dues. But if Sunfire wants to chip in to help that that was an option.

JJ goes on to inform Sunfire that Redroot is no longer in his care but that he can point him in the right direction. If he were only to just give him his hand.

He then puts a big splinter into Sunfire’s palm which JJ states will point and lead you to the very twig you seek and that it will not be comfortable.

So it’s basically like a compass to find Redroot.

He says that that’s all the payment Sunfire would have to give for the ruckus he caused with the pink ogre earlier.

And he transforms a wall with his reality warping to kick start Sunfires journey.

JJ final words telling Sunfire to stay lively because he has a long winding road ahead.

My review is that it was a serviceable start.

I dont think the budget for this Unlimited X-Men series is that high so I get why the art and the colorist aren’t the most detailed or great IMO

They got JJ sketchiness right and Sunfires attitude.

I am glad that we got this Redroot story finally going.

I just hope we get a more meaty story and a little more depth because I think that some of these Unlimited X-men stories are lacking in that department.

I feel like it would have been smart to have Sunfire speak with Betsy and Brian but I guess that only have some much page for story

Hopefully that next chapter picks up the pace.

I have NO idea where this story is going, which is kinda fun.
    Sunfire is being insufferable, which is in character so I'm in.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I loved the art and am happy the Redroot saga is finally being told.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

(I drafted the bulk of this last night so just adding it to the fun.)

It's finally here! Written by Steve Foxe and Steve Orlando, pencils by Lynne Yoshi, colors by Fer Sifentes-Sujo, letters by VC's Travis Lanham.

The story starts where X-Men #24 left off and we get a repeat scene of Magik, having just dropped him off in Otherworld, telling Sunfire to be careful and that "time works differently. Sometimes." He thanks her as she teleports away saying he should be in and out.

He walks to the town in the distance which we learn is the Crooked Market, an endless bazaar of incomprehensible dangers. As he walks through the market he mentions that Arakko was wise to task someone competent with the mission. He's as arrogant as ever, haha. A small, old man sitting in front of a table calls out his wares to him but Shiro keeps walking. The old man is chewing on something like a toothpick. A larger ogre-looking resident walking towards Shiro notes from his smell that he's not from around there. He purposely bumps into Shiro and yells, "Ey! Dis outsider struck me!" Troublemaker. Shiro denies it and calls him a buffoon. He grabs Shiro's shoulder with one hand and lifts him in the air, asking if that was some kind of insult.

"Gah! WITCHBREED!" the ogre cries out, its hand now blackened. He's about to make a scene when the small, old man snaps his fingers and says "that'll be just enough of that." The ogre starts to disintegrate, its body slowly turning into pretty pink petals that float into the air until it's dead. The old man says quarrels are not allowed as he transforms into Mad Jim Jaspers!

Shiro recognizes him straight away and introduces himself as Sunfire of Krakoa and Arakko. He says that during Saturnyne's childish tournament, a mutant named Redroot broke one of Jaspers' insufferable rules and that he's there to bring her home, Jaspers, toothpick hanging out of his mouth, takes a moment before remembering Redroot. We get a flashback to X of Swords when Redroot is taken prisoner in one of his jars. He says that in the Crooked Market all things have a cost and Redroot paid hers. "But you could chip in against her debt... if you're willing. Stroll with me a bit?" he says as he grabs Shiro by the hand and leads him into an alley. Shiro pulls away saying he will not be led by the hand.

Jaspers says that was an inspiring monologue by alas, Redroot is no longer in his care. He says he can point Shiro in her direction though and asks Shiro to hold out his palm. After a moment Shiro does so. Jaspers takes the toothpick from his mouth and sticks it into Shiro's palm. It's apparently a splinter from Redroot. Shiro doubles over in pain, sweating and gritting his teeth. The artist does a great job depicting his sudden but brief agony. Jaspers says the splinter will point to and lead Shiro to Redroot. It has dug into his skin and now has a literal arrow at its end. It's delightfully gross and certainly uncomfortable. Jaspers says the pain is apt payment for the ruckus Shiro caused earlier.

Jaspers walks up to a brick wall and touches it gently with his finger. He then pulls the wall back like a curtain which opens to the lands outside the Market, saying Shiro can kick-start his journey here. Annoyed, Shiro walks through the opening out into the wilderness. Jaspers flashes his wicked smile and says, "Step lively now, Sunfire of Krakoa and Arakko..."
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

An excellent start to the story. Sunfire's voice sounds right and Jaspers is incredibly creepy as he should be. The fact that Redroot is no longer in the Crooked Market opens up the story in a big way. The art is great, kinetic and colorful. It seems it's going to be a fun journey, crafted by Foxe and Orlando. I'm looking forward to next week and hopefully we get some appearances by characters directly connected to Otherworld. *wink wink*

Jaspers was imo better writtent than the Howard version. Way creepier.
    I thought Dugan was writing this. It explains the slight difference in Shiro's characterization

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I thought Dugan was writing this. It explains the slight difference in Shiro's characterization
    Yeah Jaspers was more like a carnival barker/salesman in Excalibur. This is the kind of twisted wickedness I like from him.

Would love to see Shiro and Red Root return to Arrako and help turn the tide (the Sobunar?) in the war.

I hope Red Root isn't clinging to yester-year's Arraki-sensibilities about team work and/or rescue. I'd love to see her and Shiro become close allies, rather than her harboring any resentment for his aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Would love to see Shiro and Red Root return to Arrako and help turn the tide (the Sobunar?) in the war.

I hope Red Root isn't clinging to yester-year's Arraki-sensibilities about team work and/or rescue. I'd love to see her and Shiro become close allies, rather than her harboring any resentment for his aid.
    Agreed, friend. The timing of this story is perfect as the Genesis War rages. If Shiro tells Redroot that Arakko itself sent him then perhaps there's a good chance they'll be allies.

I'm hoping we'll learn through Redroot, once finally united, that Arakko prefers Storm's way and doesn't want to go back to the Genesis ways of old.

Astonishing Member

This was nice. Not xmen green quality but nice

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I also thought Duggan was writing this. I wonder how long this will be, aren't most of theses fairly short? But than Green was really long. Curious to see what other characters make an appearance (please no Cuckoos) since Magik dropped him off before the Gala.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    I also thought Duggan was writing this. I wonder how long this will be, aren't most of theses fairly short? But than Green was really long. Curious to see what other characters make an appearance (please no Cuckoos) since Magik dropped him off before the Gala.
    I think this’ll be 6 chapters… enough time for them to potentially show up in Red by the end of the Genesis War perhaps?

Also in terms of who else is showing up didn’t Foxe say he was writing Rachel or Betsy in an upcoming book. Could see one of them making an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I think this’ll be 6 chapters… enough time for them to potentially show up in Red by the end of the Genesis War perhaps?

Also in terms of who else is showing up didn’t Foxe say he was writing Rachel or Betsy in an upcoming book. Could see one of them making an appearance.
    Yup, he said he was writing both of them but separately. I'm hoping at least one of them show up here.

I just realized this is gonna be a Shiro in wonderland type a story since JJ opened the brick wall for his journey to begin.

So Shiro possibly hitting all the Otherworld kingdoms on his adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    Ah, that COULD be where the Cuckoos are indeed. Sorry !
    Betsy and Rachel probably, maybe Shogo and Bei, and that purple kid who wanted to stay ?
    Apocalypse's team COULD be Sunfire, Captain Britain, Askani and maybe Megan ? (just because I love her) Praying for Rictor too.