Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Yeah it was because Waid was taking a break from the book to focus JLA: Year One and Morrison & Miller were available to fill the gap for a year. Waid came back to complete the run. Once again your baseless agenda doesn't work, quit making things up!
    Had the Millar / Morrison theme been successful then I'm sure editorial would have chosen someone other than Johns to take over from Waid.

but back to the issue in general. This was already feeling like the mis-step when Marvel forced Ditko's Speedball into his Penance Persona...

Last edited by Paul Nolan; 09-26-2023 at 10:31 PM.

Editorial didn't initially choose Johns to take over. They had him do a fill-in (Wonderland, I think it was?) and he continued on the book due to fan reaction. Had nothing to do with how any other run was received but his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nolan View Post
    Had the Millar / Morrison theme been successful then I'm sure editorial would have chosen someone other than Johns to take over from Waid.

but back to the issue in general. This was already feeling like the mis-step when Marvel forced Ditko's Speedball into his Penance Persona...

This is also false. Please stop with this, it's only getting more embarrassing for you.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    This is also false. Please stop with this, it's only getting more embarrassing for you.
    How can an opinion be false?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Also "maths", was no one editing this and trying to catch his Britishisms?
    Good catch. Yeah, we say Maths here in England, but it should be either Math or the full name Mathematics in the US, shouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    The art was also a good match, even if it seems Deodato doesn’t know how eight year olds should look? Or did Irey get aged up to puberty all of a sudden?
    Yeah, I could definitely see breasts on her, she looked more like 12 than 8. She's supposed to be the same age as Lisa Simpson, she doesn't look it here.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I’m apprehensive off everything with Linda and Wally. That said…a good writer could take the two beats of a newborn plus the loss of powers and do a powerfully good story on postpartum depression

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I was really trying to figure it out because the writing was also awkward on that front. Not knowing anything about the kids I was like "maybe she's 11?"

As a Spurrier fan I have to say that his writing, all these years into the big two, still almost seems nervous. Like he feels obligated to be extremely wordy and not straightforward as a British writer, lol. Deodato would be fine if Mulvihill went just a bit lighter
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

I'm totally out of the loop on the Flash so please pardon me if I say something ignorant.

Why do we have a Wally West book if we brought back Barry Allen? I thought he was supposed to replace Wally? If not, then what was that point in bringing him back?

Or is there another Flash book that stars Barry?

It seems weird that they brought back Hal and replaced Kyle in the Green Lantern books, but didn't do the same with Barry and Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    I'm totally out of the loop on the Flash so please pardon me if I say something ignorant.

Why do we have a Wally West book if we brought back Barry Allen? I thought he was supposed to replace Wally? If not, then what was that point in bringing him back?

It seems weird that they brought back Hal and replaced Kyle in the Green Lantern books, but didn't do the same with Barry and Flash.
    Barry did replace Wally and he carried the title for a while but now Wally is back.

Incredible Member

They did replace Wally with Barry, for the better part of 12 years. Heck, Wally didn't even exist for a large chunk of that. He was wiped out from 2011 to 2016, due to the New 52.

Astonishing Member

And then Dan and all his undermining of Wally (ex. Heroes in Crisis) got thrown in the trash by WBD. And everyone finally realized how terrible of an idea Barry Whitebread was.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    And then Dan and all his undermining of Wally (ex. Heroes in Crisis) got thrown in the trash by WBD. And everyone finally realized how terrible of an idea Barry Whitebread was.
    Can I get an "Amen"! Although, I prefer to call him Boring Allen.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Are you all saying that they gave the Flash book back to Wally because Barry was boring?

And if so, was it a mistake then to bring Barry back?

Are you all saying that they gave the Flash book back to Wally because Barry was boring?

And if so, was it a mistake then to bring Barry back?
    I don't think it had anything to do with Barry being boring, and sales were solid under Barry, it's just new editorial seems to have wanted to give Wally his due again.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it had anything to do with Barry being boring, and sales were solid under Barry, it's just new editorial seems to have wanted to give Wally his due again.
    Yes, all jokes aside, I'd agree with this position. Change of editorial leadership led to the change in leads. Although, I would argue the fact that Wally's return in the "Rebirth" special in 2016 was the key plot point of the Rebirth initiative speaks to his overall popularity. If I recall from stories over the years, we only got Barry back because of Didio's dislike of the "Titan Generation" growing up. And Didio was a driving factor behind the decision to use Wally in his role in "Heroes in Crisis".

Just my opinion, but Barry worked way better as the the self-sacrificing mythic figure that the hero community aspired to honor, post-crisis. Specifically, Wally's struggles to live up to his idol/mentor.