Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Just my opinion, but Barry worked way better as the the self-sacrificing mythic figure that the hero community aspired to honor, post-crisis. Specifically, Wally's struggles to live up to his idol/mentor.
    I agree with this. That's why I'm wondering why they went to all of the trouble of undoing such a significant moment, if they were going to end up having Wally headline the book anyway.

I don't like that they brought back Barry, Hal, and Jason. It cheapens the stories of their deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Just my opinion, but Barry worked way better as the the self-sacrificing mythic figure that the hero community aspired to honor, post-crisis. Specifically, Wally's struggles to live up to his idol/mentor.
    A lot of people would agree with you, but all the same Barry has held the title in the modern era for over 150 issues, so he's no slouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    I agree with this. That's why I'm wondering why they went to all of the trouble of undoing such a significant moment, if they were going to end up having Wally headline the book anyway.

I don't like that they brought back Barry, Hal, and Jason. It cheapens the stories of their deaths.
    I think it's as simple as people still enjoy reading about those characters.

Fantastic Member

Read the first issue. Not impressed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post

Well, Barry was brought back like 15 years ago. It's not like they brought him back only to immediately focus back on Wally. Barry was the main Flash again for a long time.

As for those characters, I think a lot of the fans of those characters are probably happy to see them back.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nolan View Post
    Had the Millar / Morrison theme been successful then I'm sure editorial would have chosen someone other than Johns to take over from Waid.
    I'm not sure where this is coming from, but as mentioned, the Morrison/Millar run was always intended to be a 12-issue spell for Waid who was feeling burnt out on the title. Morrison was only able to complete 9 of those issues (the final three-parter featuring the Black Flash was solo scripted by Millar) because he was so busy with JLA and Invisibles. (In fact, taking on the co-writing Flash gig threw him so far behind on his other titles that Waid had to step in and script a four-issue fill in on JLA to help him get caught up.) When Waid left for the second time, Morrison had briefly retired from comics writing (he would return to take on New X-Men at Marvel) and Millar had taken over the Authority at Wildstorm. The fact that neither of them took over the Flash after Waid's second departure has nothing to do with their sales draw--Morrison's JLA was DC's biggest hit at the time and led to a flurry of spin-off titles.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    I'm not sure where this is coming from, but as mentioned, the Morrison/Millar run was always intended to be a 12-issue spell for Waid who was feeling burnt out on the title. Morrison was only able to complete 9 of those issues (the final three-parter featuring the Black Flash was solo scripted by Millar) because he was so busy with JLA and Invisibles. (In fact, taking on the co-writing Flash gig threw him so far behind on his other titles that Waid had to step in and script a four-issue fill in on JLA to help him get caught up.) When Waid left for the second time, Morrison had briefly retired from comics writing (he would return to take on New X-Men at Marvel) and Millar had taken over the Authority at Wildstorm. The fact that neither of them took over the Flash after Waid's second departure has nothing to do with their sales draw--Morrison's JLA was DC's biggest hit at the time and led to a flurry of spin-off titles.
    I said "had the Millar / Morrison THEME been successful", I know the run had always intended to be 12 issues. I bought the comics off the shelf.

Had there been a demand for more dark stories like that, any editor worth his (or her) salt would have looked for a writer who could have continued in the same vein.

Thankfully we reverted what I thought was a much more enjoyable story with the introduction of the "Chain Lightning" 6-parter and the introduction of Walter West just after issue 150.

I said "had the Millar / Morrison THEME been successful", I know the run had always intended to be 12 issues. I bought the comics off the shelf.

Had there been a demand for more dark stories like that, any editor worth his (or her) salt would have looked for a writer who could have continued in the same vein.

Thankfully we reverted what I thought was a much more enjoyable story with the introduction of the "Chain Lightning" 6-parter and the introduction of Walter West just after issue 150.
    What you don't get is the run had good sales, especially with the names attached to it. You are making things up based on YOUR OPINION. If if if.... it doesn't exist.

You can say: "I didn't like Morrison/Miller". We will probably say you are wrong and have questionable taste but at the end of the day that's your subjective opinion.

You can not say: "Morrison/Miller run had no demand"

Because you have NO PROOF. Nothing to back up your statement, that's why people are calling you out.

Also Johns run had much MUCH darker themes. If readers didn't like it, we wouldn't have gotten gems like Blitz in the first place.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    What you don't get is the run had good sales, especially with the names attached to it. You are making things up based on YOUR OPINION. If if if.... it doesn't exist.

You can say: "I didn't like Morrison/Miller". We will probably say you are wrong and have questionable taste but at the end of the day that's your subjective opinion.

You can not say: "Morrison/Miller run had no demand"

Because you have NO PROOF. Nothing to back up your statement, that's why people are calling you out.

Also Johns run had much MUCH darker themes. If readers didn't like it, we wouldn't have gotten gems like Blitz in the first place.
    There's your true colors. "My view is the only correct view".

Blitz was thematically nothing like "the Human Race" or previous issues.

Always Rakzo

Funny that after being "burn out" of the title and taken a rest, Waid would return with the Dark Flash and (ugh) Chain Lightning arcs.

Yep, that rest wasn't enough.

I don't say anything like it, I'm saying your opinion is subjective.

Good for you, you didn't like Morrison/Millar run, fine. But going around saying things like it got cancelled or didn't mesh with audiences or whatever....that's factually untrue.

If you don't like this run, you can move on with your life and pick up another book instead of giving time and effort into trying to create a narrative around this one.

With that being said, I've just now noticed the Pied Piper part in the book with Linda. I wonder what kind of role he will have in the book. I missed him a lot and seeing him return with Adams was awesome.

Fantastic Member

Taste is subjective but I wonder if we read the same comics if you thought the Morrison/Millar run was “dark”

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Funny that after being "burn out" of the title and taken a rest, Waid would return with the Dark Flash and (ugh) Chain Lightning arcs.

Yep, that rest wasn't enough.
    I can't knock it because I have never touched any of that stuff (Morrison Millar run sounds tempting on name recognition) but reading that Barry had an evil twin has me croaking. It's hard to explain how off the franchise has felt from the outside, but Spurrier having such a light foot on the pedal was a relief despite how apparently these quirks need to develop. Like there seems to be a lot of lore but it's not framed as a sequel to what people have been doing since the 60s.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Yes, Blitz and Ignition were both much darker.

Loved the first issue! Wallys banter with Grodd was a lot of fun. Reminded me more of the Grodd from JLU and not the menacing monster from Johns run (which I liked too). The mystery around the speed force and how it is effecting the various speedsters is really interesting. I like the idea of redefining it, as I hated the whole Barrys accident created the speed force nonsense Johns created. I hate the idea of Thawnes negative speed force even more. (why doesn't everyone make their own? Stupid)

Characterization was great. Spurrier has a good feel for Wally. And man, Deodatos art is incredible. Can't wait to see where this goes.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!