Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I get what's happening with this series but it's not what I wanted. Basically a bunch of "What If...?" stories focused on Jean's history. I'm expecting that in the end that these scenarios will make her change her mind and choose the Phoenix force instead of rejecting it like she did the last time she was resurrected. Hopefully she'll also reclaim her classic, iconic green/yellow Phoenix costume as well.
    This is the hope for me as well!

Is better Red and Black (The Last One she usted) or White and Yellow (White Phoenix of the crown)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Is better Red and Black (The Last One she usted) or White and Yellow (White Phoenix of the crown)
    The white gold is something we shouldn't see every day. I wouldn't want Phoenix at full reality-warping power. Green Phoenix is powerful enough to be impressive but also proven to be beatable, which is a nice balance in terms of the mechanics of storytelling.

We have seen White Phoenix of the Crown do an incredibly ridiculous powerful time-rewind, and I don't think it would be a good idea to nerf White Phoenix. Better to have her not use that identity for regular stories, IMO.

I'll withhold my opinion about the Black Phoenix and that entire story this time.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Red and black looks like an alternate Dark Phoenix costume. It gives villain vibes. Im only here to see it if she uses it to eradicate Orchis. It should represent rage

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I wasn't into this issue nearly as much as the first. Too much Logan, too much Scott. I'm reading this for Jean. Next issue already looks 100x better solely because we get more Jean and Madelyne interaction and a return to the GOAT crossover, Inferno.
    I'm happy that Louise did something different than Hickman and Pearcy. Instead of forcing a relationship between the 3 of them, she loves them both but in different ways.

The polyamory angle was the most interesting Scott/Jean, Logan/Jean, and Scott/Logan have been since Morrison, so agree to disagree there. Logan's line about not standing a chance with Jean just seemed like Simonson's way of blowing a raspberry at fans of a ship she does not personally prefer.

The polyamory angle was the most interesting Scott/Jean, Logan/Jean, and Scott/Logan have been since Morrison, so agree to disagree there. Logan's line about not standing a chance with Jean just seemed like Simonson's way of blowing a raspberry at fans of a ship she does not personally prefer.
    how was it interesting considering it was never explored?

If it wasn't explored, we wouldn't be talking about it. It wasn't explored in-depth, which is a shame, but adding the polyamorous element subverted the endless love triangle, made all three characters edgier and more mature, and helped establish Krakoan cultural norms as different than those of the human world.

BANNED

Then he set himself on fire as he said that. I was laughing at that for a good minute.

If it wasn't explored, we wouldn't be talking about it. It wasn't explored in-depth, which is a shame, but adding the polyamorous element subverted the endless love triangle, made all three characters edgier and more mature, and helped establish Krakoan cultural norms as different than those of the human world.
    I vehemently disagree. In my opinion, having Cyclops see Jean running around every day again and realize he still wants Emma would have been way edgier, more adulterated, and tougher/more interesting on Jean. Them missing the same opportunity twice was crazy. It also kinda invalidated the ending of the Morrison run:

Emma had the impact of catalysing Cyclops to continue with the X-Men after Jean, yet today she isn't an equal to Jean in his eyes? ehhhhh ok.

They just didn't want to do the hard, more interesting, more adulterated thing. Implying they all bang each other would only be salacious. I love salaciousness at my core, but as a story choice it would have been a very mid and fearful thing to do, actually. The only thing less challenging and more fearful would be to do what they have ended up doing: Jott.

Should have just ripped the band-aid, the weenies.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 09-28-2023 at 02:18 PM.

That's just as boring as any other This One with That One choice. The whole point of the throuple + the implication that Scott was still seeing Emma as well meant the franchise no needed to hem and haw over whether or not Scott/Jean, Jean/Logan, or Scott/Emma was the better option because we had them all and writers were theoretically free to tell whichever story using whichever configuration of the dynamic they cared to. They just didn't explore it, beyond Hickman himself, Duggan (who wrote standard and boring Jott before throwing some unearned tension into the relationship) and Percy.

People talk about things that weren’t explored all the time (ex Rachel being bi up until it was recently confirmed). The only thing Hickman did with it was a data page which showed adjacent rooms. Percy had Jean as a love interest for Wolverine but nothing with her and Scott. Everywhere else she was Scott’s wife and only partner. It was never acknowledged that there was a poly relationship. More hints than actual exploration of what that was or meant. None of the characters commented on it and we have no idea what their thoughts were bc that’s simply not a bit of character work that any writer touched. The messy history surrounding them wasn’t even addressed. For me to consider this explored at the very least a conversation needed to be shown but we never got that.
    Last edited by Havok83; 09-28-2023 at 03:10 PM.

It wasn't a lie though. In the story of this boring triangle, Jean never chose the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CapCyke View Post
    It wasn't a lie though. In the story of this boring triangle, Jean never chose the guy.
    and its consistent with Claremont's writing of the pair during that time period. Wolverine loved her from a distance and he acknowledged that he was bad news and didnt feel he stood a chance with her. Its not like he was open with his feelings and trying to get with her back then. And despite a handful of kisses over the years, he never really did. He never made a real play for Jean and considered her a serious viable option for himself
    Last edited by Havok83; 09-28-2023 at 05:12 PM.

BANNED

And people wonder why no one buys the comics. It's bare-minimum personality in the characters, worship of things simply because they are old rather than interesting or compelling, and an overall very fearful mindset about storytelling and character progression.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    This was my take as well. I think it is interesting that Jean is considering her history as what went wrong, I also find it interesting that she is doing this while basically dead...that her psyche is that powerful that in her death she is able to flip through different timelines and view the different scenarios.

The next two issues will be interesting to see what develops and where exactly jean finds that something went wrong and what exactly that was.
    Perhaps wondering where it all went wrong is her flaw. For some, self-doubt can be a coping mechanism for stifling their rage or passion. Maybe she will emerge from this series no longer doubting herself. Which, if she used doubt as coping mechanism for her rage, could be a bad thing.