Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hmmmn.

I thought onslaught was created from the evil in Magneto's mind, not the trauma of X erasing his mind?

But I am unclear:
    1) Are you saying that Jean created the PF?
    2) And that the inner enemy is not with Jean but with the PF that can manifest as Dark Phoenix?
    3) Who/What do you think is the inner enemy of the Phoenix/PF that becomes DP and can be passed on to others who take on the Phoenix power?
    Well, the theory of Jean creating the Phoenix has been floating around for a while and it's one that Louise Simonson has hinted at in X-Men Monday. But basically my post is yes, Jean creates the Phoenix Force. As for Jean's inner enemy it really depends. If the Phoenix Force was originally created during Jean's trip on the shuttle and transcended during Phoenix's death in 137 then I could see that inner enemy tracing their origin to the Dark Phoenix persona that was born as a consequence of the Hellfire Club's attempt to brainwash Phoenix. If the Phoenix Force is born during the solo then maybe things could get more complicated but the inner enemy would be a consequence of Jean's darker thoughts and regrets.

I get the feeling that while it seems that Jean Grey 2 did not progress much maybe it foreshadows something that will make sense in the end.

BANNED

I would caution everyone about the notion that Simonson hinted at the idea of Jean Grey creating the Phoenix. The asker posed that question and Weezy responded to it. She didn't throw that possibility out there herself. She was not in the X-slack and probably doesn't know anything about what's next for Jean. She is likely not in a position to make major canon changes.

This was filler. Hopefully she figures out what needs to be done by the end of the next issue and not in the final issue

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    Well, the theory of Jean creating the Phoenix has been floating around for a while and it's one that Louise Simonson has hinted at in X-Men Monday. But basically my post is yes, Jean creates the Phoenix Force. As for Jean's inner enemy it really depends. If the Phoenix Force was originally created during Jean's trip on the shuttle and transcended during Phoenix's death in 137 then I could see that inner enemy tracing their origin to the Dark Phoenix persona that was born as a consequence of the Hellfire Club's attempt to brainwash Phoenix. If the Phoenix Force is born during the solo then maybe things could get more complicated but the inner enemy would be a consequence of Jean's darker thoughts and regrets.

I get the feeling that while it seems that Jean Grey 2 did not progress much maybe it foreshadows something that will make sense in the end.
    I agree, right now, it does not seem to add or make much sense. Perhaps by issue #4, and beyond, when Jean returns, it will make sense and be clearer.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

This issue was even better than the first. It was heartbreaking and tragic, but that's exactly what made it so great. We see Jean revisit this critical moment in her life, experience all the intense emotions surrounding it, and watch it all go so horribly wrong like the last issue. But this time, it wasn't so much what she did and more what the Phoenix Force did. It almost feels like an extension of what happened to her in Judgement Day. She keeps trying to make up for what she did as Dark Phoenix. She even contemplates what would happen if she'd made different choices. But one way or another, she can't avoid the truth. The Phoenix is part of who she is. And as painful as it was, the decision she made that day on the shuttle was the right one. There really was no other way. It's tragic, but it beautifully captures Jean's heart and sense of compassion. It also raises the prospects that she'll be tapping into some Phoenix level power to make things right in the present.

And just like I did with the first issue, I did a review on my YouTube channel. If anyone is interested, here's a link:

Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMan View Post
    As for the main storyline, this is moving too slowly. We had to wait a month to basically get nowhere, with no answers. We are exactly where we were at the end of the last issue. There’s not enough beef there for this to be a monthly. Weekly, or even bi-monthly I’ll give you. But it’s too long to wait for so little.
    Somewhat disagree. Last issue was laying a foundation for Jean surveying her history and editing her own story. Attempting to use it all in a sentence and make it all make sense. Ignoring the love triangle, and how people feel about random characters wielding Phoenix, this issue seems to focus on the nature of the Phoenix and why it has jumped to seemingly random characters over the years. Again, all seems to be laying a foundation for what is to come. We shall see…

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Somewhat disagree. Last issue was laying a foundation for Jean surveying her history and editing her own story. Attempting to use it all in a sentence and make it all make sense. Ignoring the love triangle, and how people feel about random characters wielding Phoenix, this issue seems to focus on the nature of the Phoenix and why it has jumped to seemingly random characters over the years. Again, all seems to be laying a foundation for what is to come. We shall see…
    This was my take as well. I think it is interesting that Jean is considering her history as what went wrong, I also find it interesting that she is doing this while basically dead...that her psyche is that powerful that in her death she is able to flip through different timelines and view the different scenarios.

I hadn't heard the school of thought that Jean was so powerful on her own that she actually created the Pheonix force or if I had I just forgot about it. However, now it creates an interesting possibility in light ofJason Aaron's use of it in both his Thor runs and more specifically his recent Avengers run making Jean pretty much Thor's mommy (but I would much rather dismantle the entire story and have the PF being an entity that only exists now and not one that traverses history thereby completely deleting that point.)

The next two issues will be interesting to see what develops and where exactly jean finds that something went wrong and what exactly that was.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    This was my take as well. I think it is interesting that Jean is considering her history as what went wrong, I also find it interesting that she is doing this while basically dead...that her psyche is that powerful that in her death she is able to flip through different timelines and view the different scenarios.
    I also see this overall story as Jean looking inward to see what she did wrong, and if there were moments that she could have changed to prevent what happened, to eventually come to the conclusion she (personally) didn't do anything wrong. Although I don't believe that she is creating or traveling through different timelines or universes. She's just that powerful that her pysche is creating scenarios in those first moments of death, similar to what we hear from those that have near-death moments of reliving your life, and running what-ifs in her mind. Hence why the focus on Scott and Logan solely in this issue (when others could have also had become the Phoenix).

I hadn't heard the school of thought that Jean was so powerful on her own that she actually created the Pheonix force or if I had I just forgot about it. However, now it creates an interesting possibility in light ofJason Aaron's use of it in both his Thor runs and more specifically his recent Avengers run making Jean pretty much Thor's mommy (but I would much rather dismantle the entire story and have the PF being an entity that only exists now and not one that traverses history thereby completely deleting that point.)

The next two issues will be interesting to see what develops and where exactly jean finds that something went wrong and what exactly that was.
    I don't think anyone should take stock in that Jean has been retconned into creating the Phoenix Force by her will and that every host has been influenced by Jean's will. It would be a monumental retcon that, in my opinion, would make little sense for almost all of the other hosts and cause a slew of continuity issues. This issue kind of reinforced to be that regardless who it went into, it came because of Jean's call. It's attracted to Jean and her kin. This whole bouncing around hosts so quickly like herpes that has been used over the past few years cheapens that for me. It says the threshold for communion and empowerment to being akin to someone touching you and saying "Tag, You're it". Again, my opinion.

All this to say I'm invested in the next issue as I'd like to see where Jean thinks she went wrong with Maddie, and what this will mean when she returns from death.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I also see this overall story as Jean looking inward to see what she did wrong, and if there were moments that she could have changed to prevent what happened,
    Does the reader know what happened yet? Or are we to assume that this death is referencing the Hellfire Gala? It would be a cruel bait and switch to have this be an unrelated near death incident.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Maybe it's because I already know this is a "What if... Jean Grey" story or because it's not related to Bendis' O5, but I enjoyed this #2 a lot more.
    I always wondered why Logan wasn't the one piloting the spaceship.
    And Simonson explored very well Jean's relationship with both Scott and Logan.

The main problem of the story is the stupid Wolvephoenix with adamantium spikes. Too cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Maybe it's because I already know this is a "What if... Jean Grey" story or because it's not related to Bendis' O5, but I enjoyed this #2 a lot more.
    I always wondered why Logan wasn't the one piloting the spaceship.
    And Simonson explored very well Jean's relationship with both Scott and Logan.

The main problem of the story is the stupid Wolvephoenix with adamantium spikes. Too cringe.
    Why would he have? He didnt have a healing factor when this was written. That wasnt mentioned until UXM 118. His backstory was also vague so there was no indication that he could fly a spacecraft anymore than the other members. Jean was really the best option bc of her powers

I wasn't into this issue nearly as much as the first. Too much Logan, too much Scott. I'm reading this for Jean. Next issue already looks 100x better solely because we get more Jean and Madelyne interaction and a return to the GOAT crossover, Inferno.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Does the reader know what happened yet? Or are we to assume that this death is referencing the Hellfire Gala? It would be a cruel bait and switch to have this be an unrelated near death incident.
    The book says this is the Fall of X death, not that it matters. The story idea was conceived as its own thing, like the other nostalgia minis, before it was reframed for Fall of X.

I get what's happening with this series but it's not what I wanted. Basically a bunch of "What If...?" stories focused on Jean's history. I'm expecting that in the end that these scenarios will make her change her mind and choose the Phoenix force instead of rejecting it like she did the last time she was resurrected. Hopefully she'll also reclaim her classic, iconic green/yellow Phoenix costume as well.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I get what's happening with this series but it's not what I wanted. Basically a bunch of "What If...?" stories focused on Jean's history. I'm expecting that in the end that these scenarios will make her change her mind and choose the Phoenix force instead of rejecting it like she did the last time she was resurrected. Hopefully she'll also reclaim her classic, iconic green/yellow Phoenix costume as well.
    not the last time she was resurrected bc she was resurrected at least twice on Krakoa without the PF involved

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    ?????Why wouldnt this be her death at the HG. She is in her latest costume which leads us to know it happened recently. The only time she died since that costume was created was the HG and it doesnt make sense that this would be some offscreen that has never been referenced before
    Last edited by Havok83; 09-28-2023 at 10:14 AM.