Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Superman @ NYCC 2023

https://www.thepopverse.com/new-york...social_sharing

DC will be hosting four panels across the four day event, with the following titles and descriptions already announced:

Elsewhere in the DC Multiverse (Thursday, October 12 at 12:15pm EST, Room 409) Hear directly from some of the superstar writers and artists that are creating epic new storylines that push DC’s Super Heroes and Super-Villains beyond their limits in bold new adventures.

Metropolis All-Stars (Friday, October 13 at 10:45am EST, Room 409) Superman isn’t the only force to be reckoned with in Metropolis. The top comic book writers and artists working on stories in the city provide exclusive details on what fans can expect in some of the most action-packed comics.

Coming up in the DC Multiverse (Saturday, October 14 at 2:15pm EST, Room 408) The world’s finest comic book writers and artists provide exclusive details on what fans can expect in some of DC’s upcoming comics and graphic novels. Panelists include Jeremy Adams, Aaron Campbell, Kami Garcia, Tim Sheridan, Si Spurrier, Tom Taylor, Cian Tormey.
    Here’s the three panels where we might get Superman news. Waid will not be there, he said on WB that he thinks he’s done with big Cons. Probably won’t be quite as exciting as last year’s NYCC was but taking a prediction for what announcements we might get:

1. Official announcement and reveal of the Brainiac event which will probably run for two months from Jan to Feb. I expect PKJ will help Williamson with that as his final story as Action Comics writer.
    2. Waid and Clayton Henry will take over Action Comics, with the Superfamily team up ending. Unlike World’s Finest it will be set in the present day, I think Waid will play ball here because he can write Superman more to his liking in WF and Black Label. Plus he seemed to have made his peace with modern Supes not being his ideal in the latest Word Balloon chat.
    3. Maybe we will get PKJ doing a third Superman book/mini that wraps up his Olgrun plotline if he doesn’t want to save that for his John Stewart book. His Aethyr stuff seems like it’s going to be picked up by Waid.
    4. Official announcement of a new Supergirl series written by Tamaki
    5. If Taylor is there I guess he’ll talk about his plans for Jon which I assume will involve using him over in Titans
    6. My hunch is that the next villain Williamson will use after the Brainiac arc is Metallo or Bizarro. Bizarro is the last villain from the first issue to yet be featured and if PKJ is leaving, that frees up Metallo for Williamson to use like he wants. Federeci was drawing a Bizarro variant cover so Bizarro is going to be used in something coming up
    7. If Johns is there we might finally get a “Legion of Four Worlds” announcement that will lead into a Retroboot book
    8. Some more news on Casey/McDaid Kneel Before Zod
    9. A surprise announcement or two - I’m hoping for either Gene Yang doing a Kenan mini or Greg Pak doing a Superfamily book
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Here’s the three panels where we might get Superman news. Waid will not be there, he said on WB that he thinks he’s done with big Cons. Probably won’t be quite as exciting as last year’s NYCC was but taking a prediction for what announcements we might get:

1. Official announcement and reveal of the Brainiac event which will probably run for two months from Jan to Feb. I expect PKJ will help Williamson with that as his final story as Action Comics writer.
    2. Waid and Clayton Henry will take over Action Comics, with the Superfamily team up ending. Unlike World’s Finest it will be set in the present day, I think Waid will play ball here because he can write Superman more to his liking in WF and Black Label. Plus he seemed to have made his peace with modern Supes not being his ideal in the latest Word Balloon chat.
    3. Maybe we will get PKJ doing a third Superman book/mini that wraps up his Olgrun plotline if he doesn’t want to save that for his John Stewart book. His Aethyr stuff seems like it’s going to be picked up by Waid.
    5. If Taylor is there I guess he’ll talk about his plans for Jon which I assume will involve using him over in Titans
    6. My hunch is that the next villain Williamson will use after the Brainiac arc is Metallo or Bizarro. Bizarro is the last villain from the first issue to yet be featured and if PKJ is leaving, that frees up Metallo for Williamson to use like he wants. Federeci was drawing a Bizarro variant cover so Bizarro is going to be used in something coming up
    7. If Johns is there we might finally get a “Legion of Four Worlds” announcement that will lead into a Retroboot book
    9. A surprise announcement or two - I’m hoping for either Gene Yang doing a Kenan mini or Greg Pak doing a Superfamily book
    Pretty spot on with your predictions. Though I’ll be surprised in LoSH is announced.

Friday, October 13

METROPOLIS ALL-STARS

Friday, October 13, 10:45–11:45, Room #409
    DC’s all-star comic book writers and artists provide exclusive details on what fans can expect in the City of Tomorrow. Panelists include Jason Aaron, Jadzia Axelrod, Joanne Starer, Joshua Williamson.
    https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/10/04/d...uests-and-more

On one hand yay, no Tom Taylor. On the other hand, Jason Aaron. Oh boy is that a name I was both expecting and dreading almost as much as Taylor. Would be hilarious if after all the speculation around Waid that instead it’s Aaron who is hopping aboard. After all those of years of doing poor Morrison ripoffs at Marvel, now he might be diving head in with Superman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I would laugh because I have no idea what an Aaron Superman means
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I would laugh because I have no idea what an Aaron Superman means
    Lois Lane gets superpowers and is called Superman meanwhile Clark Kent goes by the name of Kal-El because he can`t use his name because... reasons?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Heh in all seriousness an Aaron run would be very similar to PKJ in terms of tone I expect. It would be dark and epic, lots of Morrison DNA cropping in via incorporating ideas from All-Star (and maybe even Morrison Action if Aaron read that and is a fan). Aaron loves Morrison’s stuff, his Avengers run was his attempt to do a JLA type run with that group. Something like taking his Gorr the God Butcher arc and doing that for Superman is what I’d expect. Now whether Aaron has the juice to pull off something like that nowadays… up for debate. Like I said I haven’t loved anything he’s done since Thor, but if I had to choose between him or Waid to take over Action, I’d roll the dice on Aaron.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-06-2023 at 12:59 AM.

I still wish PKJ continued a longer time.

The point is will he try to "fix it" to his ideal model? Maybe Waid was the one who came with the undoing of he marriage on the Superman 2000 proposal. That is na idea than no one of the creators involved has used elsewhere yet.

I think it would be ideal if PKJ could wrap that idea in a New Gods book.

Possible. Wish her the best of the luck. Even if I haven't luck when I had to read Tamaki previous work.

That would be very unfortunate.

I would prefer Bizarro.

Yahve hear you. And Zeus. And Odin. And Mammaragan. And Viracocha. And Dagda. And Marduk. And whatever highest celestial power than can read the internet. This is my highest hope, but I still will be cautious until further announcement. It is not just the "four worlds" than need to be fixed (again) but who will be the next writer of a potential Legion series.

Said with the voice of Terrecen Stamp.

It would be surprising indeed.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 10-06-2023 at 12:33 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I'm still going in with no expectations.

PKJ could be leaving AC, or he could just be staying and people have speculating over nothing. Better to go with an empty mind than worrying yourself over something that might not happen after all.

Though if Aaron's actually being given a Super-book, I hope its miniseries. Would rather keep him away from the ongoings until he's made some well-received books.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 10-06-2023 at 01:24 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

On one hand yay, no Tom Taylor. On the other hand, Jason Aaron.
    Maybe they're giving Aaron a Jon book? DC clearly want to keep him as a book headliner.

That said, Aaron is coming to DC from running the Avengers so it's probably a main Superman book.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'd guess that Aaron will do a Superman mini. Lost is ending soon so it would be replacing that in a way. Maybe it and his Batman mini will plant some seeds for him taking one of the big books in second half of 2024.

Tamaki not being there likely means that no Supergirl book is coming? Makes that upcoming one-shot a bit weird.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

While I would prefer PKJ to stay on the title, I like the idea of jason aaron taking over action over Waid. I feel like he'd bring a more fresh approach than Waid, either way Williamson is still our main writer so neither will have too much free reign.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If I think of Scalped, Ghost Rider, Wolverine, and Penguin then well... Aaron seems almost like a best friend to King or something. Each with some tangy "cowboy hat with black sunglasses and a briefcase" grit and off the wall high concept that smashes the ground either on the mark or mark be damned. I'd certainly rather have Waid than either of them as of now but I don't know how much of what we see in interviews or roster of the event will actually point to what's happening with Action
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/10/04/d...uests-and-more

On one hand yay, no Tom Taylor. On the other hand, Jason Aaron. Oh boy is that a name I was both expecting and dreading almost as much as Taylor. Would be hilarious if after all the speculation around Waid that instead it’s Aaron who is hopping aboard. After all those of years of doing poor Morrison ripoffs at Marvel, now he might be diving head in with Superman.
    Yeah, I'm not sure I care for the idea of Aaron writing Superman after how he handled Thor.

I guess Axelrod is there because Hawkgirl is in Metropolis (even though it feels like she's barely done anything there) and Starer for the Ice/Fire Smallville mini.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Maybe they're giving Aaron a Jon book? DC clearly want to keep him as a book headliner.

That said, Aaron is coming to DC from running the Avengers so it's probably a main Superman book.
    I would be fine with letting Aaron take a stab at Jon, but I’d be surprised by that. Jon seems to be left to Taylor to use in Titans and King in his Super Sons backups. If Aaron is doing something with Superman I think it will be Clark simply because Aaron coming over to DC probably is a result of him wanting to play with the classic toys, not be tasked with fixing the broken new ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'd guess that Aaron will do a Superman mini. Lost is ending soon so it would be replacing that in a way. Maybe it and his Batman mini will plant some seeds for him taking one of the big books in second half of 2024.

Tamaki not being there likely means that no Supergirl book is coming? Makes that upcoming one-shot a bit weird.
    She might just not be attending NYCC this year, Waid isn’t. Of course it would be totally on brand for DC to put out a one shot that rehashes what King already did, end it by saying Kara wants a change in status quo… and then shelve her. Seems to be what they’re doing with Conner. Both Kara and Kon should get major changes to their status quos, Kara should be Superwoman (even a nostalgia guy like Waid thinks it makes sense for her!) and Kon should drop Superboy for something else.

Someone else who isn’t there but might be making an announcement is Johns. He’s not on any of the panels but if they’re still doing that War of Four Legions story then I expect an announcement at the panel where Adams and Sheridan are attending. Otherwise I think we can chalk that down to be yet another abandoned plotline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure I care for the idea of Aaron writing Superman after how he handled Thor.

I guess Axelrod is there because Hawkgirl is in Metropolis (even though it feels like she's barely done anything there) and Starer for the Ice/Fire Smallville mini.
    Apparently Axelrod does have more DC work coming, if anyone is doing a Jon book I expect it will be her. Or another YA OGN like her Galaxy book.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-06-2023 at 01:46 PM.

I really doubt they're making Kara Superwoman. Even if they do, I doubt it sticks.