Astonishing Member

Default Finale from Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310 turns five.

Released on the 26th of September 2018, the final issue of Chip Zdarsky's run on the book and what a way to go out. An instant classic both funny, moving and sums up the essence of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. It's in my top five Spider-Man comics of all time. A masterpiece. Chip Zdarsky both wrote and illustrated this which deservedly won an Eisner. Let's celebrate this issue and for those who have yet to read it, you must.

Yes.
    I feel Kyle ought to be mentioned alongside Gwen Stacy and Jean DeWolffe et al when the subject of people Peter has lost comes up.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

I read the book really didn’t understand the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I read the book really didn’t understand the hype.
    It's a Spider-man loses story, but it's done well - there isn't anything obvious that Peter could have done better. It's thought-provoking and moving. It treats Peter as a responsible person and a hero who does his best. Even as it tells a story of Spider-man losing, it doesn't limit Peter to that.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

It wasn't an outstanding issue, but it was a good one.

Astonishing Member

It’s good, but I actually prefer Slott’s final ASM issue that came out around the same time (and I’m a HUGE critic of Slott’s run in general, but his bookend was great).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    It’s good, but I actually prefer Slott’s final ASM issue that came out around the same time (and I’m a HUGE critic of Slott’s run in general, but his bookend was great).
    Agreed. Preferred Amazing Spider-man 801, which as an added benefit had Marcos Martin on art!

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

It's a pretty nice story, but I think it suffers from literally two contemporary competitors at the same time - Slott's "curtain call" as it were, then Zdarky's, then Tom Taylor's Spider-Mite issue. They're all perfectly fine in their own, but they clearly also all read as attempts for an 'evergreen' Spidey story dealing with the weight of his iconic status and sort of playing in the same lane as "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man" as a result of focusing of ordinary lives touched by Spider-Man's actions.

If each of those existed in more of a vacuum, they'd likely all have very good chances of becoming emblematic of a period when they were pushed and bona-fide classics. Since they all came in short order, they sort of blur together despite all being very solid offerings.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Astonishing Member

Can we repurpose the term “Oscar bait” as Eisner bait for these kind of comics?

im right there with you

In a just world, "every day Spidey saves someone's uncle" would be printed on every piece of merchandise

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post

Released on the 26th of September 2018, the final issue of Chip Zdarsky's run on the book and what a way to go out. An instant classic both funny, moving and sums up the essence of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. It's in my top five Spider-Man comics of all time. A masterpiece. Chip Zdarsky both wrote and illustrated this which deservedly won an Eisner. Let's celebrate this issue and for those who have yet to read it, you must.
    Yeah, this is probably one of the best Spider-Man stories I have ever read.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

See that's kind of apples and oranges for me because Slott's finale was the wrap up of a near decade run and what made that finale stand out is that for all the serial escalation that occured (from your Spider-Island, to your Superior to tyour Spider-Verse, to your Billionaire pseudo-spy Peter Parker) the final issue was a quiet back to basics one.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    See that's kind of apples and oranges for me because Slott's finale was the wrap up of a near decade run and what made that finale stand out is that for all the serial escalation that occured (from your Spider-Island, to your Superior to tyour Spider-Verse, to your Billionaire pseudo-spy Peter Parker) the final issue was a quiet back to basics one.
    I don’t see it that way. They were both self-contained human interest (or “person on the street”) stories that focused more on his interactions with the civilians around him, and the ripple effects of that. I found them both very similar actually.