Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    It's canon. You always seem to want to debunk any good feasts that Diana may have. Intersting.
    This panel comes from the same book. Is this canon? Do all amazons have cell phones and wi-fi on the island?

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    This panel comes from the same book. Is this canon? Do all amazons have cell phones and wi-fi on the island?
    Why not? The title celebrated WW throughout the history, different continuities.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    Why not? The title celebrated WW throughout the history, different continuities.
    Hahaha
    Ok bro, the stories certainly weren't meant to be Canon, and I've never seen anyone pretending they were.

And again, if you think the Silver Age nerfed her, remember that in the Marston stories you could knock her out with the but end of a gun

And remember that her juggling planets was done by the same writer that wrote 80% of her Silver Age and Bronze Age stories

I do think the distinction between Captain Marvel / Shazam and Wonder Woman is a mistake, but saying that kryptonians are stronger than her isn't inherently sexist. If someone says Supergirl is stronger than Wonder Woman, they aren't saying anything inherently sexist.

I do think the fact that all male members of the Shazam family are huge while the female members aren't is inherently sexist, and a great example of how conservative their views on attractive women are.

And I would change much about the rules of Wonder Woman's powers.
    Last edited by Alpha; 10-03-2023 at 01:52 AM.

And remember that in 1952 Captain Marvel was moving planets on his own and splitting them in half with ease.

(which is the type of storytelling I find childish)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    But why must she get her strength from fighting other heroes?
    The same reason why you have certain Batman fans salivating over Batman being able to beat anybody with "Prep Time".

It's about fanboy bragging rights, the idea that in combat, their personal favorite hero is or is seen as being able to match or dominate the most capable superheroes.

For some, it's not enough that Wonder Woman is generally considered one of the greatest superheroes of all time, and has plenty of cool feats in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    And remember that in 1952 Captain Marvel was moving planets on his own and splitting them in half with ease.

(which is the type of storytelling I find childish)
    Which is good, because in 1952 that is who they were marketing for.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    The same reason why you have certain Batman fans salivating over Batman being able to beat anybody with "Prep Time".

It's about fanboy bragging rights, the idea that in combat, their personal favorite hero is or is seen as being able to match or dominate the most capable superheroes.

For some, it's not enough that Wonder Woman is generally considered one of the greatest superheroes of all time, and has plenty of cool feats in general.
    Ah "my dad can beat up your dad" thats... childish and I think the comics community is damaged by coddling the most unwell members of the fandom.

The more I think about it and who's asking ... all these posts used to be "Why isn't Superman weaker than WW", now its Shazam and probably other low hanging fruit done out
    of that same weird desperation.

But the reality is that you should be focusing on stories and THAT'S what makes your Character greater. Wonder woman doesn't have very many:
    "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow's, For the Man that has everything, All Star Superman, Whats so funny about truth Justice and the American way."
    "Dark Knight returns..." "Killing Joke" ... Pfft... Kingdom Come.

I usually see some comic fans talking about how the marvel family, shazam, mary are equal to superman but WW isn't. And saying shazam is far above WW in power, because the powers from multiple Gods, even though WW also has powers from multiple Gods.
    And you're not going to convince them anymore than they are going to convince you. She's not the only one that gets dogged out like that either. Basically EVERY- OTHER- FLYING BRICK- AND every green lantern gets... really everyone else gets the Not equal to superman clause when they come into Dc. Hell only Dr. Manhattan was set up for that. Post like the ops post though? Its kinda pedantic. Beating up other heroes won't do it. Making everyone interested in what you're doing and doing it better than everyone else will.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Which is good, because in 1952 that is who they were marketing for.
    Sure, comics can be childish without a doubt. It can be fun.

But most of the people asking for that don't see it as something childish (and they don't have to, I'm just saying how I feel about it)

Incredible Member

Domains:

Batman: noir detective stories
    Superman: sci-fi
    Wonder Woman: mythology
    Captain Marvel (SHAZAM!): magic

The problem? the domains of WW and Cap is that they tend to overlap. In fact, you could say that the domains of Cap and Superman is the "weird science" aspect of both (with Cap having Doc Sivana as an antagonist). It may be that it isn't the characters themselves that are the problem, but rather, how non-distinct their respective "turfs" are. I don't know what can be done to enhance the characters without making either redundant.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Ah "my dad can beat up your dad" thats... childish and I think the comics community is damaged by coddling the most unwell members of the fandom.

The more I think about it and who's asking ... all these posts used to be "Why isn't Superman weaker than WW", now its Shazam and probably other low hanging fruit done out

But the reality is that you should be focusing on stories and THAT'S what makes your Character greater. Wonder woman doesn't have very many:
    "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow's, For the Man that has everything, All Star Superman, Whats so funny about truth Justice and the American way."

And you're not going to convince them anymore than they are going to convince you. She's not the only one that gets dogged out like that either. Basically EVERY- OTHER- FLYING BRICK- AND every green lantern gets... really everyone else gets the Not equal to superman clause when they come into Dc. Hell only Dr. Manhattan was set up for that. Post like the ops post though? Its kinda pedantic. Beating up other heroes won't do it. Making everyone interested in what you're doing and doing it better than everyone else will.
    So far. Nobody could explain the double standards. Because outside comic audience. You can argue some don't know these characters feats and statements. Although a portion of the general audience does think of WW and shazam as being super4man peers. But comic book readers? Peopole that are supposed to know their stuff. How come they talk about feats, or even complain about scaling. Yet they have no problem with calling shazam equal to superman, while ignoring WW feats and even saying her scaling to superman doesn't count, but the scaling for shazam does. This is a very obvious double standard.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I would say if we add Historia into the mix (which isn't directly about her, but you can't write a story about Hippolyta that isn't also indirectly about Diana), she's not that far behind of Superman in terms of great modern stories. The ones you listed are (sadly) pretty much all he has, and "What's so funny....?" has been criticized by even Superman fans as not resulting in him coming across as great. It hasn't aged well and just makes him look like a lame, self righteous child who can't handle differing views. WW comes across better in the Hikiteia, Gods and Mortals and League of One than Clark does in that story.

The number of great definitive Superman stories in the modern day can probably be counted on one hand. I don't see how that makes him any greater than her if we're going by "great stories" criteria. (And I love both characters and think DC treats them both like **** in different ways)
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 10-06-2023 at 01:34 PM.

Tell that to DC.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Tell that to DC.
    It's pretty much why Batman is their most popular cash cow

Fantastic Member

Yeah, I'm surprised this kind of thread is missing the usual resentment for Superman's power levels.

It definitely helps when you want to see your favorite hero get a movie. I always think about how quickly Green Lantern got a movie after Geoff Johns' run became popular and acclaimed.

Batman is another example. They were trying to make a big budget Batman movie since 1979. Dark Knight Returns happens, and Batman gets a film 3 years later.

I gotta say, Wonder Woman has done very well for someone who doesn't get the type of material Superman or Batman get. For a long time, she remained iconic just off a 70's TV show, and a co starring role in some JL cartoons.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's pretty much why Batman is their most popular cash cow
    Maybe that aspect is the appeal for a sect of nerds, but beating up other heroes doesn't explain the popularity of stories like "Year One", "Long Halloween", "Killing Joke", or "Death In the Family", and "Knightfall", another popular story, is famous for him getting beaten up.

It also doesn't explain the appeal of the the Burton Films, the Animated Series, The Nolan Trilogy, or the Arkham games.