Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default The double standard regarding shazam family and Wonder Woman

I usually see some comic fans talking about how the marvel family, shazam, mary are equal to superman but WW isn't. And saying shazam is far above WW in power, because the powers from multiple Gods, even though WW also has powers from multiple Gods. And she has been for decades, introduced as stronger than Hercules, faster than Mercury and Wise as Athena. They have the same type of power source and power statements. Yet they love to say he is above WW. This is the typical case of female characters getting the short end of the stick. Statements, feats, battles. WW has had plenty of history publicastion proving her power. Yet we must think of her as ant, next to characters whose overall catalogue does not have better power showings than her. Make it make sense.
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 10-02-2023 at 08:00 AM.

Because Diana doesn’t wear her cape often enough.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Perfect answer.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Because they Superman and Captain Marvel/Shazam have been depicted that way throughout publication, while her being equal or superior to Marvel has never been depicted consistently (if at all).

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    I usually see some comic fans talking about how shazam is equal to superman but WW isn't. And saying shazam is far above WW in power, because he has powers from multiple Gods, even though WW also has powers from multiple Gods. And she has been for decades, introduced as stronger than Hercules, faster than Mercury and Wise as Athena. They have the same type of power source and power statements. Yet they love to say he is above WW. Why the double standard?
    I have thought this same thing for a long time, WonderLight789.

I remember a nasty poster years ago who talked down to me in an answer about this (question not addressed to him, but of course he was in the forum) which stated that while Diana may have some godly attributes and be "magical", the Marvels all transform into a magical body which is inherently stronger and more powerful than Diana. They are empowered by gods/goddesses. The Marvels are magical, have magical powers and their powers all stem from magic. He ended with a "you got it now?!?" type of comment. Ughhh....

Maybe we need a modern fight between Diana and all of the Marvel family members....to see Diana win!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Because they Superman and Captain Marvel/Shazam have been depicted that way throughout publication, while her being equal or superior to Marvel has never been depicted consistently (if at all).
    That is not true. Superman has been shown to be superior to shazam far more often than not. He has far better feats than shazam. And WW has better feats than shazam too.

I mean I always viewed her as stronger. Diana is literally either a demi-god or a goddess in her own right, that makes her stronger then Shazam because he uses gods powers and I assume she could take Superman if she wanted but you know that’s not entirely fun to see outside of a webshow like Deathbattle.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Your answer doesn't make sense.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Captain Marvel is supposed to have unlimited strength, speed, stamina and the works... technically, he should be the most powerful physical combatant.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    I usually see some comic fans talking about how shazam is equal to superman but WW isn't. And saying shazam is far above WW in power, because he has powers from multiple Gods, even though WW also has powers from multiple Gods. And she has been for decades, introduced as stronger than Hercules, faster than Mercury and Wise as Athena. They have the same type of power source and power statements. Yet they love to say he is above WW. Why the double standard?
    ^^^Durability.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Probably because Captain Marvel stories have more ridiculous feats compared to Diana just being a martial artist.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

Pre-flashpoint and Post flashpoint/New 52 Shazam does not have unlimited strength and speed . Current canon shazam like current canon superman have near limitless super strength and strength wise they are equal.He does have limitless stamina,so he has one power that is limitless but most of his powers are not. In comics shazam has beaten superman,tie superman, and superman has beaten him. Anyway he is superman level superhero.

Post flashpoint/New 52 Shazam Hercules is stronger then woman woman by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Durability.
    What about it? He is not more durable either.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Pre-flashpoint and Post flashpoint/New 52 Shazam does not have unlimited strength and speed . Current canon shazam like current canon superman have near limitless super strength and strength wise they are equal.He does have limitless stamina,so he has one power that is limitless but most of his powers are not. In comics shazam has beaten superman,tie superman, and superman has beaten him. Anyway he is superman level superhero.

Post flashpoint/New 52 Shazam Hercules is stronger then woman woman by the way.
    I mean isn't Wonder Woman supposed to be Superman level too? It's just that the books portrays Shazam's god powers better than Wonder Woman's.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Probably because Captain Marvel stories have more ridiculous feats compared to Diana just being a martial artist.
    shazam hasn't had ridiculous feats of power in a long time. And Diana has her good amount of those too.
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 10-02-2023 at 07:48 AM.