Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Batman," "Spider-Man" Reclaim Top Spots in August

After being displaced by "Rocket Raccoon" last month, DC's "Batman" climbed back into pole position with Marvel's "Amazing Spider-Man right behind.

Full article here.

A bit surprised Marvel's event books are getting beaten out by Batman. Original Sin has not been setting the internet on fire, but it has been a quality story. For it to not beat out a non-event issue of Batman is pretty telling. In addition, it looks like Amazing Spider-Man has nicely established itself in the top 10. I think Marvel is hoping that it can be to them what Batman is to DC. It's still behind, but it's still up there and I think that's what Marvel wants for Spider-Man moving forward. A stable title that is consistently in the top 10 in comics is worth its weight in gold.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Fantastic Member

Superior Spiderman was in the top ten for the majority of it's run the only reason that the previous Amazing Spiderman was more a top 20 than top 10 series is because with it's numbering being in the 600's it probably put people off trying to jump on the series.

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

I was predicting that Amz. Spidey would be under 100k from #6 on but then I looked at the next several issues and not going to happen. 10 variant covers + Spider Verse will keep it over 100k for until at least #10.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    After being displaced by "Rocket Raccoon" last month, DC's "Batman" climbed back into pole position with Marvel's "Amazing Spider-Man right behind.

Full article here.
    So what was the point in the previous article claiming both had weak sales in August? Two reports going in opposite directions? Or who gets the payola first?

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    So what was the point in the previous article claiming both had weak sales in August? Two reports going in opposite directions? Or who gets the payola first?
    This is the list of the comics and the data. The newer article is the analysis of this data.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post
    This is the list of the comics and the data. The newer article is the analysis of this data.
    Thanks Ferro now this makes a little more sense.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Man, a top 10 comic sold just 58,000 issues. That hasn't happened since August of 2011 when War of the Green Lanterns Aftermath #2, Amazing Spider-Man #668 and New Avengers #15 all sold 57 or 56k.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Man, a top 10 comic sold just 58,000 issues. That hasn't happened since August of 2011 when War of the Green Lanterns Aftermath #2, Amazing Spider-Man #668 and New Avengers #15 all sold 57 or 56k.
    Did anything happen to make retailers extra careful? Are they maybe sitting on crates of unsold Bombshell variants or Original Sin spinoffs?

I mean, it seems really weird to slash orders on Rocket Racoon so drastically in spite of the huge promotional push the Loot Crate thing was, and in spite of the fact that even with that huge order last month, the book got a whopping 7000+ re-orders this month which suggests it was under-ordered in at least some stores.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Did anything happen to make retailers extra careful? Are they maybe sitting on crates of unsold Bombshell variants or Original Sin spinoffs?

I mean, it seems really weird to slash orders on Rocket Racoon so drastically in spite of the huge promotional push the Loot Crate thing was, and in spite of the fact that even with that huge order last month, the book got a whopping 7000+ re-orders this month which suggests it was under-ordered in at least some stores.
    I'm pretty sure retailers sold out of DC Bombshell covers but more than likely sitting on Sin tie-ins.

Not really weird to slash orders on Rocket #2 considering that Marvel/Diamond gave out deep discounts to retailers to buy #1 in bulk. As for the reorder activity, it more than likely means that several stores had a little more demand for the book while other stores are sitting on unsold copies. Same thing happened with Superman #32 (close to 7000 reorder units in July) except without the unsold copies.

BANNED

I do believe I read that orders were a lot more conservatives on Bombshell variants that shipped a month late, so I would not count on them having sold out. But I may be thinking of the Batman anniversary issues. At least one of the two showed a pattern where retailers showed less enthusiasm when they had an extra month to gauge reader interest.

I do believe I read that orders were a lot more conservatives on Bombshell variants that shipped a month late, so I would not count on them having sold out. But I may be thinking of the Batman anniversary issues. At least one of the two showed a pattern where retailers showed less enthusiasm when they had an extra month to gauge reader interest.
    Had to be the Batman anniversary covers because retailers bought into the bombshell covers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post
    Had to be the Batman anniversary covers because retailers bought into the bombshell covers.
    I never said they didn't.

BANNED

Ah, I found it. It was about the Bombshell variant that shipped a month late, like I remembered:

Justice League is running a month behind and thus gets its Bombshell Variant this month. It’s an increase of a bit over 12K, where based on its chart position had it come out last month with most of the other Bombshell variants we would have expected to see the increase to be closer to 16K. As it was re-solicited for July retailers would have had a chance to see how the other Bombshell variants were affecting sales and it appears that they downgraded their expectations here, though not to the level that they were adjusting down their Batman variant orders from the Bombshells.

In other words, I don’t think we have the final word yet on what the long term effects will be of DC’s new variant ordering scheme.
    http://comicsbeat.com/dc-comics-mont...ars-of-batman/

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

September is gimmick month, so I could see retailers being a bit conservative in order to save up some extra money to ensure the meet demand for the 3-D covers.

Bombshells were very popular. Most of the left over issues I saw at my local shop were the covers that were not bombshells. The same has been true of most variant cover months. They seem to sell well (although I doubt DC can expect to maintain an additional 12-16k per issue as time goes on).

A third of Rocket's sales were ghost sales, in that they where here one month, gone the next. Most Marvel #1's fall 40-70%. The bigger the opening numbers, the greater the fall (especially for non-A-List-Characters). I am sure both Sta Lord's and Rocket's numbers were boosted by comic shop owner's desire to capture a few extra sales from people who really liked the GotG movie. Beyond this, there were some good incentives that Marvel pushed out to entice higher than normal sales for Rocket.