Default Late 90s Alan Davis X-men question

As i was re-reading my 90s x-men comics I got to the point where the Shattering happened (before Apocalypse the twelve storyline). Ι'm currently reading X-men 93-94 and the Author is supposed to be Alan Davis but it seems to me that it is Chris Claremont instead(first appearance of Destiny diaries). Anyone knows anything about this?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    As i was re-reading my 90s x-men comics I got to the point where the Shattering happened (before Apocalypse the twelve storyline). Ι'm currently reading X-men 93-94 and the Author is supposed to be Alan Davis but it seems to me that it is Chris Claremont instead(first appearance of Destiny diaries). Anyone knows anything about this?
    It was heavily rumoured at the time that Chris Claremont ghost-scripted a couple of issues in that run and actually his style is so distinctive you can easily tell which ones.

The books were so editorially driven at the time that it's hard to say what Davis or Claremont versus what then-editor Mark Powers did exactly. The latter part of Davis' run did set up a number of things Claremont later used for his own run - my opinion is that future plans were discussed amongst creators and editors and they decided to plant some seeds in advance, including Destiny's diaries, the High Evolutionary cancelling mutant powers which was the kick-off point for the Neo emergence, and the Neo themselves as they made their first appearance on one of the last issues of Alan's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    It was heavily rumoured at the time that Chris Claremont ghost-scripted a couple of issues in that run and actually his style is so distinctive you can easily tell which ones.

The books were so editorially driven at the time that it's hard to say what Davis or Claremont versus what then-editor Mark Powers did exactly. The latter part of Davis' run did set up a number of things Claremont later used for his own run - my opinion is that future plans were discussed amongst creators and editors and they decided to plant some seeds in advance, including Destiny's diaries, the High Evolutionary cancelling mutant powers which was the kick-off point for the Neo emergence, and the Neo themselves as they made their first appearance on one of the last issues of Alan's run.
    Yeah in 93 and 94 everything screams CC from the characterization to the set up of destiny diaries story.

IDK. I just remembering being very disappointed in that era as it was coming out. I had wanted Davis to do a regular X-Men run for years then he does and it was boring. He even used one of my favorite seldom used mutants, Sunfire, and it still didn't grab me. I never heard the Claremont rumor and I don't remember it coming off like his writing but it has been more than 20 years so who knows.

I mainly remember being VERY disappointed in the colorist. The covers where always beautiful, textury, dynamic, and the interiors were so DRAB.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    Yeah in 93 and 94 everything screams CC from the characterization to the set up of destiny diaries story.
    100%. This was a fantastic issue, had the most gorgeous art by an otherwise pretty subpar Alan Davis and was pretty much the best one in his entire run IMO:

Last edited by Uncanny X-Man; 09-29-2023 at 08:37 AM.

I want to reread this run. It was not my favorite when I read it but it is certainly better than a lot of the stuff we've suffered through from AvX to HoX.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I want to reread this run. It was not my favorite when I read it but it is certainly better than a lot of the stuff we've suffered through from AvX to HoX.
    I think there's a few bright spots in that run, which wasn't exceptional overall but still delivered some fun stories. I always found the beginning on the Skrull world to be pretty inane, but the build-up to the Twelve saga was pretty good even though that story itself really was not. Ages of Apocalypse was also a fun take on alternate futures.

Art-wise, I think Alan Davis was pretty uninspired oversll but obviously his worst day still looks pretty damn good. And on Uncanny you had Adam Kubert so things sure looked pretty throughout.

I love that Trion dimension story. Perhaps Storm's biggest feats ever(overpowering the elemental gods of a dimension and rearranging/healing that entire dimension as it was shredding apart after Juggernaut ruptured it's m-brane), underappreciated perhaps due to its esoteric nature and scale. It's hard to imagine Lord Claremont didn't have a hand in that one.... but maybe Alan just wanted to one up his buddy!

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

I was disappointed by the Twelve resolution. It was cool that they included Lorna Dane in it, but she was just there as a source of power for Magneto. The story seemed rushed and thrown together.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I was disappointed by the Twelve resolution. It was cool that they included Lorna Dane in it, but she was just there as a source of power for Magneto. The story seemed rushed and thrown together.
    I know, right?! What was done to Cyclops was truly unforgivable (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-02-2023 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.