Extraordinary Member

Default Savage Red Sonja

SAVAGE RED SONJA #1
    Writer: Dan Panosian
    Artist: Alessio Petillo
    Genre: Sword & Sorcery
    Publication Date: November, 2023
    On Sale Date: 11/1/2023

Prepare yourself for the savagery that can only Red Sonja can deliver in this brand-new series that harkens back to the classic era of Robert E. Howard’s original pulp tales of swords and sorcery!

Tasked with retrieving a long-hidden gem from a crumbled, ancient kingdom, the She-Devil With a Sword is traveling alone through a dangerous wasteland when fate intervenes, and her solo adventure is sidetracked by a wayward prince and his bride as they try desperately to escape from fearsome desert bandits – only to be attacked by a monstrous beast from beneath the sands!

Don’t miss out on this fast-paced tale of mystery, suspense, and the supernatural – written by comics superstar DAN PANOSIAN and illustrated by ALESSIO PETILLO, with colors by FRANCESCO SEGALA!

Looks pretty cool .

Okay, yeah!

I’m a Sonja fan of course, plus she’s responsible for getting me back into comics after a long layoff.

Back in 2017 I guess, a friend I hadn’t spoken to in years (but knew my favorite What If..? issues were 13 and 43), actually took the trouble to find me online (not easy I don’t do social media and had a new e-mail) just to tell me I should really check out a new Sonja book being written by Amy Chu.

I was hooked, and decided to see what was going on w. comics in general.

I haven’t been interested in every Sonja project since then, but this one’s already looking like a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Okay, yeah!

I’m a Sonja fan of course, plus she’s responsible for getting me back into comics after a long layoff.

Back in 2017 I guess, a friend I hadn’t spoken to in years (but knew my favorite What If..? issues were 13 and 43), actually took the trouble to find me online (not easy I don’t do social media and had a new e-mail) just to tell me I should really check out a new Sonja book being written by Amy Chu.

I was hooked, and decided to see what was going on w. comics in general.

I haven’t been interested in every Sonja project since then, but this one’s already looking like a winner.
    Totally Awesome! For what it's worth, the one from Marvel Comics is still an All-Time Favorite

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Totally Awesome! For what it's worth, the one from Marvel Comics is still an All-Time Favorite
    ^^^Yeah nothing beats the Marvel version, though a few have come close!

One of the best Marvel Team Up stories…

…featured Sonja.
    For the record I didn’t care for the 2007 (Marvel-Dynamite) Sonja/Spidey crossover. All it did was remind me how good the original team up was!

^^^Yeah nothing beats the Marvel version, though a few have come close!

One of the best Marvel Team Up stories…

https://i.ibb.co/jyjfYHL/IMG-8851.jpg
    https://i.ibb.co/7X9KVSW/IMG-8852.jpg

…featured Sonja.
    For the record I didn’t care for the 2007 (Marvel-Dynamite) Sonja/Spidey crossover. All it did was remind me how good the original team up was!
    Completely understandable. Usually not a fan of Alternate Realities, but What If... ? #16 will always be a personal favorite...

Completely understandable. Usually not a fan of Alternate Realities, but What If... ? #16 will always be a personal favorite...

^^^nononononono, gotta disagree on that!

Total Wolverine wankfest and Conan was made to look like a schlub. HATED that issue so much!

Issue 39 on the other hand was really good. Both characters were given their due and treated w. respect.

^^^nononononono, gotta disagree on that!

Total Wolverine wankfest and Conan was made to look like a schlub. HATED that issue so much!

Issue 39 on the other hand was really good. Both characters were given their due and treated w. respect.
    My apologies, I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to the '89 series, but clearly you meant the '77 series.
    But yeah, I enjoyed the modern-day adventures from both issue #13 & issue #43 of the 1st series...

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-01-2023 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

My apologies, I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to the '89 series, but clearly you meant the '77 series.
    But yeah, I enjoyed the modern-day adventures from both issue #13 & issue #43 of the 1st series...

^^^No apologies, K7P5V! I just get really defensive about Conan -blush-.
    It took decades, but we finally got a proper Conan/Wolverine showdown in Savage Avengers. Conan was clearly overpowered (as he had no idea what Wolvie could do) but more than held his own. I was okay w. that confrontation.

But yeah, I meant the OG series, where Conan first travelled to, then was stranded in, the 20th century.

It’s why my friend wanted me to know about the Amy Chu series where Sonja was having a similar experience.
    And he was right, I really enjoyed that book!

Astonishing Member

This is Panosian? He's art has come a long way from the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I think both he and Tom Grindberg benefitted greatly from moving away from the Marvel 90's house style editorial wanted and into finding their own groove. They've both become artists whom I will at least check out any project their on after both being artists I was kind of meh on in the 90s. They were never bad artists, but their own personal styles they've developed in the intervening years is much more appealing to me than their 90s Marvel stuff was. But then both were breaking in and did the work that was needed and available until they could establish themselves enough to be able to get and do the work they wanted to do, Dan also moved into mediums other than comics for a while. But the fantasy adventure stuff both are doing now it top notch stuff.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    He's writing / doing covers.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'll probably give this a one-issue try-out. don't care too much for most current RS titles other than the current 'main' one
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet