Page 12 of 166 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'm trying to be optimistic about this show because the trailer looked good, but all this Joker talk makes it sound like they're ready to jump the shark before the first episode even airs.

Extraordinary Member

I'm more inclined to be afraid of the show being overstuffed with the confirmed characters before I'd worry about the Joker. I've read about six reviews of the pilot. Most were positive, all acknowledged its potential, but the two more pessimistic reviews said the pilot was too unfocused with too many people. I know that's unlikely to apply to me, since I actually enjoy crowded plots with competing subplots at war with one another, but I can see those poor people who can't keep up with a single subplot crying at this thing. I just hope there's few enough of them that more "geeky" watchers can fuel a strong base for the show, and the stories are still engaging enough for mainstream fans. This things going to have a solid core of comic fans, the question is how other demographics will respond.

Joker's been confirmed to not quite appear in the show officially, but to instead have a few candidates tossed out. There's a comedian in the pilot, and talk of a card shark in no not her episode, and some mention of trying to cover most possible identities of the Joker throughout the show. If they found a guy and stuck with him, I'd be very worried, but if they kept their options open and just introduced the Red Hood Gang, I'd say they could rev up the Joker story without jumping the shark.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    I'm trying to be optimistic about this show because the trailer looked good, but all this Joker talk makes it sound like they're ready to jump the shark before the first episode even airs.
    Yeah, it's already feeling like too much, too soon.

I'm mainly interested in Gordon and Bullock -- but with all these proto-villains, and now teasing the biggest one of them all... I just don't know.

Honestly, I'm not holding my breath for this and I'm not surprised by the foul reviews of the first episode.

It doesn't seem like it'll be any better than Beware the Batman.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Haven't read through all this thread, but saw the comment about Catwoman being a young teen. She actually was a thief at an early age from what I understood from her origin stories, at least pre Flashpoint. She was part of a circus as well, stayed at an orphanage house at some point, but had become a thief very very early.

So it's not outside the realm of possibility.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Joker's been confirmed to not quite appear in the show officially, but to instead have a few candidates tossed out. There's a comedian in the pilot, and talk of a card shark in no not her episode, and some mention of trying to cover most possible identities of the Joker throughout the show. If they found a guy and stuck with him, I'd be very worried, but if they kept their options open and just introduced the Red Hood Gang, I'd say they could rev up the Joker story without jumping the shark.
    Not only that, the report that Proto-Joker was going to happen every episode was false. The show runners said that it will happen sparingly over the course of the seasons.

I've read two reviews. One said it was better than the Flash, and Constantine pilots, also saying it was better than Arrow. The other one was a negative review saying it was unfocused and had a lot going on. I'll reserve my judgment until I actually watch it. There's no need for me to jump to conclusions, yet.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 08-06-2014 at 12:48 PM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Not only that, the report that Proto-Joker was going to happen every episode was false. The show runners said that it will happen sparingly over the course of the seasons.

I've read two reviews. One said it was better than the Flash, and Constantine pilots, also saying it was better than Arrow. The other one was a negative review saying it was unfocused and had a lot going on. I'll reserve my judgment until I actually watch it. There's no need for me to jump to conclusions, yet.
    I can forgive being unfocused on the pilot of all episodes. This show probably won't be as good as The Wire, but that's still a good example of a show that flawlessly covers a cast amount of characters and subplots, while managing to still keep a cohesive narrative. That approach works when you're doing a show about an entire city.

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    Honestly, I'm not holding my breath for this and I'm not surprised by the foul reviews of the first episode.

It doesn't seem like it'll be any better than Beware the Batman.
    There was only one "bad" review that I am aware of and all it cited was a lack of focus. There were good reviews as well. We should just hold judgement until we actually WATCH the show (though some will judge regardless of if it is amazing or not).

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardNigma View Post
    There was only one "bad" review that I am aware of and all it cited was a lack of focus. There were good reviews as well.
    I live in SoCal so I know a whole bunch of local fans that went to San Diego.

We should just hold judgement until we actually WATCH the show (though some will judge regardless of if it is amazing or not).
    And by contrast, I'm sure there will be many that enjoy the show regardless of how bad it might be.

Regardless of the reviews, I just haven't found any reason to be excited about this show yet.

The bat-babies angle doesn't thrill me.

If this is the Batman take on Smallville, it likely just isn't going to be for me.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Howl

Did anyone here attend Comic-Con and nab a couple of those GCPD promo badges?
    Living on the other side of the world has its disadvantages and I was looking to buy one if someone has a spare. I'm trying to steer clear of the Ebay flippers.
    Also, this is my first post since the forum revamp. Shows how often I visit here. Haha.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    I can forgive being unfocused on the pilot of all episodes. This show probably won't be as good as The Wire, but that's still a good example of a show that flawlessly covers a cast amount of characters and subplots, while managing to still keep a cohesive narrative. That approach works when you're doing a show about an entire city.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet my house it won't be as good (or even close) to The Wire. I mean, the lead is Ben Mackenzie. How can it be?

I'm still optimistic it will be entertaining though.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Excellent 5 minute Camren Bicondova interview from SDCC.
    * She's taking Parkour freerunning training
    * They're filming episode 4
    * Selina is intrigued over her and Bruce both lacking parents
    * On researching comics she says it's amazing how detailed comic fans can be
    * She's seen the different takes on Catwoman but "I'm not playing Catwoman ... it's a different part of her life"
    * Regarding what she likes: GoT, TB and "I'm obsessed with everything"
    * IRL, she's a cat person, big time
    * She says Selina is 14 in the show, interviewer goes on with her carrying herself much older IRL
    * "Selina is 14 going on 30"
    Last edited by heyevaxx; 08-08-2014 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Yeah, I'm willing to bet my house it won't be as good (or even close) to The Wire. I mean, the lead is Ben Mackenzie. How can it be?

I'm still optimistic it will be entertaining though.
    The Wire is still considered one of the best dramas (crime or otherwise), period. So yeah, likely not even close.

I didn't follow the show when it switched networks, but Southland was pretty good and McKenzie was good in it...

Extraordinary Member

I heard someone say the show's perfect formula would be part prequel and part L.A. Confidential. I think the idea was prompted by saying that young Gordon looks a bit like Bud White and Ed Exley's love child.

Gotham is looking good, I'm so glad they're shooting in New York. It's just hard to get an old, big city feel from younger west coast cities or anything up in Canada. Chicago was decent for Nolan's first two but his Gotham got progressively cleaner and less run down. NYC is the best IMO.

Daytime shot of the Gotham Arkham Asylum set from http://rainbowjoker.tumblr.com/: