Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
I did not complain about the show not being dark enough. I think it is too dark if you want to go after the "middle ground" of demographics. That doesn't mean we need unicorns and a moral at the end of each episode but making the overt violence less bloody on screen and performing more of it off camera would be better.

PG-13 is not appropriate for general audiences. You should not take a kid into a PG-13 movie.

Most of the games you listed get bumped up in ratings because you are killing people (rather than destroying robots and/or "knocking them out"). Beyond that, the way the killing is shown is also an issue (if you just shot someone with a gun and they fall to the ground is less graphic than shooting someone, watching the bullet blow off their leg). Additionally, games put players in an active rather than passive role. Games should be rated more strictly than movies because you are actively seeking out and creating the violence rather than it simply being presented to you. Beyond that, the amount of time one plays a game vastly outstrips the time one watches a movie. The rating system errs on the caution. Remember the average age of a video game player is almost 30. Kids are not really the core demographic any more. Games are designed for adults should stay in their hands.

Almost every in-continuity, Big Two comic produced now-a-days are rated T. They are not designed nor targeted towards kids. In fact I cringed when I saw Toys-R-Us selling Death of the Family comics right next to all the action figures whose core demographic is not Teens but children.
I guess opinion is more subjective and relative because when I've gone to the theater to see PG and PG-13 movies such as Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men First Class, The Hunger Games, Man of Steel, Maleficent, Snow White & the Hunts and NOAH I saw quite a vast array of children which appeared to be as young as the ages of nine or eleven with their parents. I know personally know families who have taken their kids with them to PG-13 movies and who continue to do so often. Again, I believe that it's all up to the parental discretion of the parent. When I saw Man of Steel, X-Men and NOAH at the theaters it was more sons and their dads at the movies. My personal opinion for a movie like True Grit or The Fast and the Furious I wouldn't take a child under the age of 11 or 12 to see either of those types of movie but I would take a 11 year old to see a movie like Kingsman The Secret Service.

But seriously, I agree that Batman Death of the Family isn't the best comic story arc to share with a adolescent under the age of at least twelve but then again it depends on what that kid is able to handle mentally. I've seen kids reading some manga which can get pretty dark. Even Naruto get's dark and lots of kids around the age of ten read that. But really, Marvel Comics and DC Comics is in my opinion are safe for kids ages twelve and up. Stuff like Superman and Batman is what I was raised on by my parents as a kid and I'll raise my kids on it. I grew up watching the Tim Burton Batman movies and watching the dark cartoon Batman The Animated Series along with Justice League Animated. DC Comics and Marvel have an appeal that transcends age and that is as it should be. Heck, in my day kids grew up on stuff like Jurassic Park and re-runs of the gritty Indiana Jones movies. What the heck? Are we going to go soft now all of a sudden?