Page 15 of 166 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Nuke View Post
    But yes adapting Gotham Central would have been the best way to go, and if done right could have lead them in the direction of actually having a show that was possibly even Emmy worthy.
    That's not how Emmy's work though. Shows can be good without being whatever direction you would have wanted instead.

Incredible Member

I agree, but I fully expect Gotham to eventually falter. Which will lend credit to not just adapting Gotham Central being a missed opportunity.

Whether that is right or wrong assumption isn't the point, the point is that criticism will make it right.

Astonishing Member

It really just depends on how well thought out everything is. If the show falters, it will be because they didn't think out the long run, not because this isn't Gotham Central (which isn't an inherently better premise).

Incredible Member

It all depends how it works. How interesting the characters are? etc.

This has unfortunate possibly of just being another cop show set in a comic book city, and using Batmans villains as a way gain it's target audience. Will it be anything more than that? The goofiest element to the whole thing is the pre-villains making appearances.

If you ask me GC would be a better premise. It's set in a world with Batman, with his criminals fully formed. It's about a bunch of special department cops, all diverse, doing their best to solve cases before Batman does. More about the people than the cases. Not to mention a bunch of regular people haveing to go against a rogue gallery of villains that they aren't prepared to fight. Feels like a better idea to me.

Granted, I'm seeing my version of GC in my head, and its about as good as I want it to be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Nuke View Post
    It all depends how it works. How interesting the characters are? etc.

This has unfortunate possibly of just being another cop show set in a comic book city, and using Batmans villains as a way gain it's target audience. Will it be anything more than that? The goofiest element to the whole thing is the pre-villains making appearances.

If you ask me GC would be a better premise. It's set in a world with Batman, with his criminals fully formed. It's about a bunch of special department cops, all diverse, doing their best to solve cases before Batman does. More about the people than the cases. Not to mention a bunch of regular people haveing to go against a rogue gallery of villains that they aren't prepared to fight. Feels like a better idea to me.

Granted, I'm seeing my version of GC in my head, and its about as good as I want it to be.
    I dunno, I mean I can't see how fully formed rogues are somehow less goofy than "pre-villains." At the risk of making too many presumptions here, I would argue that GC runs the greater risk of being a run of the mill cop show, because essentially, it would be a show about cops going after psychopaths, with Batman making cameo appearances.

At least here, they're doing a Wire-esque approach at Gotham City, exploring the police department, the underworld, the infrastructure, etc. It's chronicling an often overlooked period of time, given how Batman's origin story usually fasts forward from his childhood tragedy to young adulthood. Whether they miss the target or not, there's potential.

Incredible Member

IMHO, you have to remember GC had its fanbase, but it wasn't enough to sustain its readership for the long haul. Gotham is centering the show on a young Jim Gordon, before Bruce even thought of being the Bat.The previews lok great, and I can't wait to see this show!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    I dunno, I mean I can't see how fully formed rogues are somehow less goofy than "pre-villains." At the risk of making too many presumptions here, I would argue that GC runs the greater risk of being a run of the mill cop show, because essentially, it would be a show about cops going after psychopaths, with Batman making cameo appearances.

At least here, they're doing a Wire-esque approach at Gotham City, exploring the police department, the underworld, the infrastructure, etc. It's chronicling an often overlooked period of time, given how Batman's origin story usually fasts forward from his childhood tragedy to young adulthood. Whether they miss the target or not, there's potential.
    That's interesting, because I would argue the opposite.

How many shows are there about an ordinary police department trying to do their job in a city overrun with various super-villains with different powers and gimmicks, as well as a vigilante dressed as a bat?

How many shows are there about an ordinary police department trying to do their job in a city overrun with crime?

Batman, his allies and his villains would offer a newer dynamic, a third party to throw a spanner in the usual routine of cops vs. criminals. Here, they've effectively missed their one chance to separate Gotham from the rest by showing it back when it was just another city with a crime problem. Now there's practically nothing that differentiates Gotham from, say, CSI, Law & Order, or any of the myriad of generic cop shows currently on the network.

Also, there's nothing to show that they're doing a The Wire-esque approach to Gotham City. It just seems like a generic cop show with a special focus on James Gordon and his relationships with his friends, family, allies and enemies.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    Also, there's nothing to show that they're doing a The Wire-esque approach to Gotham City. It just seems like a generic cop show with a special focus on James Gordon and his relationships with his friends, family, allies and enemies.
    I don't think one goes after Jada Pinkett Smith for a crime boss if they don't intend to use her as a big part of the story. The preview had her talking about how she wants to take on the Falcones. Not saying this will be a new "Wire" but we all know Gotham doesn't get rid of it's criminals so they should be compelling too. We'll see.

Has anyone else noticed that Fish Mooney seems to be trying to channel Eartha Kitt's Catwoman, right down to things like calling Gordon a "cool drink of milk"? It's weird and doesn't fit the character, but it's there.
    I got the vibe but I think it suits her, since she's made up for the show she can fit anything they want into her. She's the femme fatale of the show, which suits a pulp inspiration.

Harley is only a few years younger than Ivy and the Joker
    I kind of see a young Harley as a daughter of an affluent family who is a fangirl for criminals, probably runs a Tumblr with hot mugshots.
    They could make Harleen a friend of Selina's.

Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    IMHO, you have to remember GC had its fanbase, but it wasn't enough to sustain its readership for the long haul. Gotham is centering the show on a young Jim Gordon, before Bruce even thought of being the Bat.The previews lok great, and I can't wait to see this show!
    Agreed!!!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    How many shows are there about an ordinary police department trying to do their job in a city overrun with various super-villains with different powers and gimmicks, as well as a vigilante dressed as a bat?
    A Gotham Central show was never going to depict supervillains with powers, though. Gimmicks, sure, but that hardly makes it more unique than what's already being depicted in Luther, Hannibal, Fargo, etc. And it wouldn't be easy to match the quality of those shows.

How many shows are there about an ordinary police department trying to do their job in a city overrun with crime?
    Quite a few.

Batman, his allies and his villains would offer a newer dynamic, a third party to throw a spanner in the usual routine of cops vs. criminals. Here, they've effectively missed their one chance to separate Gotham from the rest by showing it back when it was just another city with a crime problem. Now there's practically nothing that differentiates Gotham from, say, CSI, Law & Order, or any of the myriad of generic cop shows currently on the network.
    Except the show creators have specifically pointed out that they're making the show about the transition between Gotham being a regular city and a city infested with super-villains. Not to mention, they've already explicitly shown how they've filmed New York City, and then used visual effects to create the surreal gothic atmosphere that is Gotham. Actually, I shouldn't have to explain any of this since the show has yet to even come out before declaring it a "generic cop show."

The trailers show otherwise.
    Last edited by Kid A; 08-30-2014 at 05:50 AM.

I think it's a very interesting concept. Gotham, in the end, is so much more than Batman & the family. There are regular people trying to make sense of it all. I do hope they focus on the psychological side of it all though, the series would be a success to me if they decide to go in depth on the villains. I can't wait!

Fantastic Member

As good as the trailer looks, I still think it might have been a better idea to do Gotham Central. It wouldn't even require that much change. The overarching story would still be the same, the big difference would be a leap forward after the murder. So that Gordon is returning to a case he didn't solve as the Police deals with a new vigilante changing things. You can still have Bullock as the older mentor, and an Edward Nygma within the force, a Cobblepot climbing ranks, a small time Selina Kyle, etc. It would be a lot more interesting as the vigilante starts calling himself Batman, and the police needs to deal with crap like an apprehended Mr. Freeze, Scarecrow or Clayface.

I hope they spend a good chunk of time on Edward's character development.

Been seeingads on FOX TV this week and I am starting to get interested in seeing where this series goes. Looking forward to Poison Ivy's story as well as the Penguin as I feel both get underated compared to the bigger fish like Joker or Catwoman in the films and TV series.

Quote Originally Posted by CapeandCowl View Post
    Been seeingads on FOX TV this week and I am starting to get interested in seeing where this series goes. Looking forward to Poison Ivy's story as well as the Penguin as I feel both get underated compared to the bigger fish like Joker or Catwoman in the films and TV series.
    I agree. It will be refreshing to focus on some other villains for a change.