Page 17 of 166 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    If GOTHAM's 1st episode and season are good enough, they can totally go the SMALLVILLE route and take us through every single step-by-agonizing-step from Bruce Wayne orphan all the way to Batman's 1st official mission. Seriously, I don't need no stinkin' time jump. I can wait 10 seasons for a 23-year-old Caped Crusader's debut if the show is good enough.
    I really hope so.

Just two more days!

I'm getting my DVR ready.

A awkward thought occurs: If Bruce is already 12 years old at the start of season 1, and if the show proves to have legs, would seasons 3,4,5,6 of GOTHAM feature Bruce Wayne as a full-time high school student?

If so, I hope he dons a makeshift Robin outfit for his training and surveillance missions.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'm getting my DVR ready.

A awkward thought occurs: If Bruce is already 12 years old at the start of season 1, and if the show proves to have legs, would seasons 3,4,5,6 of GOTHAM feature Bruce Wayne as a full-time high school student?

If so, I hope he dons a makeshift Robin outfit for his training and surveillance missions.
    I don't think this show is going to feature Bruce much, if at all. It's more about Gordon, Bullock, The GCPD and the villains.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I don't think this show is going to feature Bruce much, if at all. It's more about Gordon, Bullock, The GCPD and the villains.
    I beg to differ.

Presuming this show doesn't get cancelled early due to ratings or the whims of Fox execs, I think young Bruce's role will slowly move closer to center. He's the true draw of the show. Without Bruce, GOTHAM becomes just another cop show that almost no one cares about.

Astonishing Member

I beg to differ.

Presuming this show doesn't get cancelled early due to ratings or the whims of Fox execs, I think young Bruce's role will slowly move closer to center. He's the true draw of the show. Without Bruce, GOTHAM becomes just another cop show that almost no one cares about.
    Nah, Gotham City is a draw in of itself.

Ultimate Member

I think that if the show goes long enough, then at some point Bruce will leave to go on his "let's travel around the world training to be a badass" journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I think that if the show goes long enough, then at some point Bruce will leave to go on his "let's travel around the world training to be a badass" journey.
    I picture this happening as well.

Mighty Member

If it does happen I hope it becomes a spin-off.

I beg to differ.

I meant that the show's focus will be on the other characters more than Bruce. That's the whole idea of this show--to showcase the city of Gotham and it's inhabitants before Bruce became Batman.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

The show's focus will be on all the characters, INCLUDING Bruce.

And two things come to mind. One, Premises on TV shows evolve all the time. SMALLVILLE was initially supposed to be all about Clark's high school years, but it eventually went way beyond that.

Two, prequel shows (like SMALLVILLE and GOTHAM) are more apt to make major changes from the source material than other shows. Superman fans complained All. The. Time. about major deviations from the Superman canon.

Without having seen the pilot yet, I've seen/heard of one minor change and one major change.

Gordon doesn't have his trademark eyeglasses or moustache. That's really nothing, as those can come later as he ages.

Gordon and Bullock are the detectives assigned to solve the Waynes' murder case. That's a HUGE something, a major deviation from canon. And it won't be the last.

If FOX can change that, they can also change how Bruce goes about his training. Particularly if the kid playing Bruce winds up doing really well and becomes an audience draw, there's no way FOX lets the kid off the show. In fact, there's a real good chance they'll change the long-term story so that Bruce trains in Gotham (his teachers are either brought to Gotham or they were there already), or that we follow him if it's not in Gotham (a la Daenerys Targarean's story separated from Westeros on GAME OF THRONES).

I don't see Bruce Wayne ever NOT being on this show. And I doubt FOX does either.

The show's focus will be on all the characters, INCLUDING Bruce.

And two things come to mind. One, Premises on TV shows evolve all the time. SMALLVILLE was initially supposed to be all about Clark's high school years, but it eventually went way beyond that.

Two, prequel shows (like SMALLVILLE and GOTHAM) are more apt to make major changes from the source material than other shows. Superman fans complained All. The. Time. about major deviations from the Superman canon.

Without having seen the pilot yet, I've seen/heard of one minor change and one major change.

Gordon doesn't have his trademark eyeglasses or moustache. That's really nothing, as those can come later as he ages.

Gordon and Bullock are the detectives assigned to solve the Waynes' murder case. That's a HUGE something, a major deviation from canon. And it won't be the last.

If FOX can change that, they can also change how Bruce goes about his training. Particularly if the kid playing Bruce winds up doing really well and becomes an audience draw, there's no way FOX lets the kid off the show. In fact, there's a real good chance they'll change the long-term story so that Bruce trains in Gotham (his teachers are either brought to Gotham or they were there already), or that we follow him if it's not in Gotham (a la Daenerys Targarean's story separated from Westeros on GAME OF THRONES).

I don't see Bruce Wayne ever NOT being on this show. And I doubt FOX does either.
    Again, you're not really reading what I'm saying. I never said they would NOT keep showing Bruce, just that the focus is going to be more on the other characters of Gotham.

Incredible Member

In the NEW 52, there are clear evidences of Bruce being partially trained in Gotham before leaving the city for futher training at the age of 18. Thats right. In the new continuity Bruce never left Gotham until the age of 18. Lest face it, Bruce leaving Gotham at the age of 11 in the pre NEW 52 was ridiculous. One thing the NEW 52 did right I guess. Anyway. According to New 52 Batman the Dark Knight issue 0, we saw a 18 years old Bruce Wayne providing an ass wooping to some douchebags in a bar without breaking a sweat as well participating in a boxing tournament in Gotham. You can say the show is somehow in line with the new continuity regarding the possible time he will stay in Gotham.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnightReturns; 09-21-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Or we could wait and see how the pilot goes and how the season goes before speculating what Bruce may or may not do 5 years from now

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    In the NEW 52, there are clear evidences of Bruce being partially trained in Gotham before leaving the city for futher training at the age of 18. Thats right. In the new continuity Bruce never left Gotham until the age of 18. Lest face it, Bruce leaving Gotham at the age of 11 in the pre NEW 52 was ridiculous. One thing the NEW 52 did right I guess. Anyway. According to New 52 Batman the Dark Knight issue 0, we saw a 18 years old Bruce Wayne providing an ass wooping to some douchebags in a bar without breaking a sweat as well participating in a boxing tournament in Gotham. You can say the show is somehow in line with the new continuity regarding the possible time he will stay in Gotham.
    Agree 100% with the bolded part.

The rest is welcome news to me.

Bring on 8:00 PM EST tonight!