Page 29 of 166 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CocktailXYZ View Post
    ... However, with Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s less than stellar receiving, I guess that would have been a difficult thing to pitch...
    Apparently, you are unaware of the big fanbase Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D has over on social media. People on Twitter and Facebook are in love with the show and really like it. I can't give an opinion because I haven't watched a single episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D so far but the way it trended on Twitter last night as one of the top shows in America really surprised me and from folks comments the show seems to be pretty entertaining.
    Last edited by AngelsXDemons; 09-24-2014 at 06:39 PM.

I admit I'm out of touch on S.H.I.E.L.D. The impression I had was it started with great promise and steadily dropped viewers as it went on, which seems to be the case looking at the trend of viewership:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of....E2.80.9314.29

However, that's still not taking the big picture into consideration, where it is enjoying high ranking among men and young adults against the competition.

If that's the case, I'm even more convinced that they should have pitched and run with Gotham Central.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsXDemons View Post
    ... However, with Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s less than stellar receiving, I guess that would have been a difficult thing to pitch...
    Apparently, you are unaware of the big fanbase Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D has over on social media. People on Twitter and Facebook are in love with the show and really like it. I can't give an opinion because I haven't watched a single episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D so far but the way it trended on Twitter last night as one of the top shows in America really surprised me and from folks comments the show seems to be pretty entertaining.
    Social media isn't really that good an indicator of popularity. A minority of vocal fangirls and fanboys can easily come off as a tsunami, when they're really a small wave.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa-Rivas-2099 View Post
    Now, the Penguin usually has many virtues associated with Extroverted, Task-Oriented temperament (choleric or "bossy"), such as charisma and diligence, but has the flaws in exaggerated proportions: his ego is all over the place and has virtually no empathy, to the point that he is also narcissistic (and sometimes portrayed as histrionic). However, we are talking about his portrayal in Gotham, where he is also task-oriented, but introverted (melancholic), and you were saying that he can switch to be more like the comics. No he can't. What he can do is become a bit more confident with experience and resources. People like that are more reactive than proactive. People like Burgess, DeVito or North's Penguin (or Eric Cartman) are 100% proactive. The Gotham version, has some natural drive, like a pilot, if you will, but his confidence depends on how people see him, what he knows he can do and the resources he has. This guy isn't narcissistic or histrionic, he is mostly a power-hungry "weasel" type. I can't tell, but he probably has some form of ASPD or something close to that.
    The reason that the Penguin is a weasel is because he isn't a crime boss at the moment. He needs to do something to get that power and he seems willing to do a lot. It is active to go talk to the police it is also a way of using information. It is much more elegant to let the police take actions than it is that he him self killed Fish which could give him some problems. By leading the police do the work he could have climbed the later much more smoothy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    Social media isn't really that good an indicator of popularity. A minority of vocal fangirls and fanboys can easily come off as a tsunami, when they're really a small wave.
    It has grown in popularity after the first episodes which wasn't that well received.

You mostly got it right. However, temperament doesn't mean being moody. There are different classifications, but they often agree on 4 or 5 types of archetypal temperaments (think ninja turtles). People are usually born with a predominant one and one or two secondary ones. And given an archetype, a person can have mostly the flaws, the virtues or some point in the middle. People can change their temperament, but that's usually something that happens in adolescence due to biological factors. Personality (also genetic) is said to take over temperament. What a person can manage is habits, views.
    Or it is obtain through childhood and not born with. Your views is way to fix on that people are born with every set of their character when that is not the case.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I admit I'm out of touch on S.H.I.E.L.D. The impression I had was it started with great promise and steadily dropped viewers as it went on,
    What's your definition of "promise"? I like SHIELD but their pilot was terrible (so cheesey). It did huge numbers with the Marvel name coming off Avengers and the fact that is premiered a week before anything came on the air so it had zero competition. The series itself got better as it went along but it's a tough sell when fans have to say "no, it's actually good now" LOL but it seems to be holding onto is core audience and they gave it a better timeslot.

Gotham on the other had debuted opposite strong competition, a whole hour of BBT and the new coaches on The Voice, and held it's own and got good reviews. All shows improve over their pilot so this should be a good time.

I'm even more convinced that they should have pitched and run with Gotham Central.
    Someone in another thread made this comment: Gotham Central wasn't even popular as a comic- why would pitch a TV series about a comic that was cancelled?
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 09-24-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Someone in another thread made this comment: Gotham Central wasn't even popular as a comic- why would pitch a TV series about a comic that was cancelled?
    Because what's popular as a comic has literally nothing to do with the potential popularity of something in another medium, as seen by Blade of all characters getting 3 movies and Guardians of the Galaxy being the most successful movie of the summer in the US.

It was however very critical acclaimed and the trades was selling very well and that was why it was kept in print.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Because what's popular as a comic has literally nothing to do with the potential popularity of something in another medium, as seen by Blade of all characters getting 3 movies and Guardians of the Galaxy being the most successful movie of the summer in the US.
    The GA show would be another example. The show was popular even though the comics wasn't selling at the time and didn't change until you got a new writer on it. The show and the comics popularity was also due to different take on the character.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    The reason that the Penguin is a weasel is because he isn't a crime boss at the moment. He needs to do something to get that power and he seems willing to do a lot. It is active to go talk to the police it is also a way of using information. It is much more elegant to let the police take actions than it is that he him self killed Fish which could give him some problems. By leading the police do the work he could have climbed the later much more smoothy.

It has grown in popularity after the first episodes which wasn't that well received.

Or it is obtain through childhood and not born with. Your views is way to fix on that people are born with every set of their character when that is not the case.
    I think I mislead you, by weasel I meant to describe his personality, not the fact that he is ratting (although it comes into play). Any version of the Penguin would rat in that type of situation, only this one has no guts. Normally he faces people with an attitude of superiority complex, and he is able to charm the other people when he needs them (most people with short temper can do this).
    I wouldn't call ratting elegant, since there's no dignity, but it's certainly convenient and simple for a thug in his place.

Read the full comment you are quoting. You'll notice that your summary of my views doesn't fit them, as I'm distinguishing what can be changed by environment and therapy (and there are aspects that can be changed) from the parts that can't. There's no use in confusing them. Temperament develops thought childhood and adolescence, but it's not changed by experiences (including therapy) if that's what you tried to say. However, other behavioral aspects do change because of environment, experience and training. This is the reason therapy is real and can accomplish a number of realistic goals. Read a little about temperament to see what I mean.

I know it's very idealistic to think that anyone can become anything, but that's not how it works. Some aspects can be fixed and influenced, some can't, just like your body shape (you can get a smaller belly, but you can't get a smaller nose).
    Last edited by Rafa-Rivas-2099; 09-25-2014 at 02:42 AM.

I know it's very idealistic to think that anyone can become anything, but that's not how it works. Some aspects can be fixed and influenced, some can't, just like your body shape (you can get a smaller belly, but you can't get a smaller nose).
    You should sample the delights of plastic surgery someday.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

My take is that television has yet another dreary cop show (because it didn't have enough of those). The performances seemed fine and it has the tease that eventually someday the audience will get to see Bruce Wayne become Batman but in the meantime it's just dirty cops and dirtier mobsters. So it may do fine but not be my thing like so much of television.

I think I mislead you, by weasel I meant to describe his personality, not the fact that he is ratting (although it comes into play). Any version of the Penguin would rat in that type of situation, only this one has no guts. Normally he faces people with an attitude of superiority complex, and he is able to charm the other people when he needs them (most people with short temper can do this).
    I wouldn't call ratting elegant, since there's no dignity, but it's certainly convenient and simple for a thug in his place.
    Read the full comment you are quoting. You'll notice that your summary of my views doesn't fit them, as I'm distinguishing what can be changed by environment and therapy (and there are aspects that can be changed) from the parts that can't. There's no use in confusing them. Temperament develops thought childhood and adolescence, but it's not changed by experiences (including therapy) if that's what you tried to say. However, other behavioral aspects do change because of environment, experience and training. This is the reason therapy is real and can accomplish a number of realistic goals. Read a little about temperament to see what I mean.

I understood that weasel was how his personality is, I just see the ratting as a part of being a weasel. The reason why I said it was elegant was because he him self ratted. He didn't make another person do it or talk so it would be a well know story that Fish set Mario up. He went straight for the police.

First of all the Penguin is showing temperament he is beating a guy of pure fun. It is not so much that I haven't read about that I don't agree with it. For instance the use of cognitive therapy. Being in a violent environment can also make your temperament increase.

It is not so much that I have an idealistic world view that you have a deterministic one.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 09-25-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Gotham Central wasn't even popular as a comic- why would pitch a TV series about a comic that was cancelled?
    Because that's essentially what they've created with Gotham except that they've altered the timeline in order to draw audiences with the "OMGWeGetToSeeTheOriginsOfBatmanGordonPenguinJoker CatwomanRiddlerAnyoneElseWeShoehornIn". If they are going to do street-level cops in Gotham ala Central or Streets of Gotham, stick to that plan and do it, don't throw everything into the mixing pot.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

But this was the plan...

New Trailer for ep 2
    and now we have edgy self harm borderline cutter babby bruce wayne
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e161f8bB0YU
    I like what they are doing with Penguin,very much like the joker and less like a bumbling devito

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

So, this thread wants me to believe Gotham and Arrow (shows that are enjoyable) are better than GoT, Breaking Bad, True Detective, etc.?

Hahahhahahahahahh. No.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 09-25-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli