Page 8 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    Because Gotham Central was ultimately a failure and didn't sell. And that was within the comic bubble where you are going to have far more people than anywhere else invested in that kind of story. It was only kept alive because higher ups loved the book and were willing to take the hit with the hopes that it would see improved sales, which never happened.

The thing that made Gotham Central a critical darling was also the thing that limited it and led to its own demise. Nobody is going to look at that and say, "hey this didn't make money, lets adapt it at a far more expensive rate and hope that it's different this time around".
    I would hardly describe Gotham Central as a failure, unless you only read comic industry spreadsheets and not actual comics. However I do think you're right on your last point, from a business standpoint that would be stupid.

I hate TV, especially shows like what Gotham looks like it is going to become - in principle. I don't like blockbuster movies either, but I enjoyed the hell out of The Dark Knight even though it had all the blockbuster weaknesses most movies like that have, if that makes sense. I'm hopeful that for its medium and form, Gotham will be good; I expect melodrama and the tropes of the serial crime drama in general, but I have a feeling this will end up a solid take on the franchise. I'm looking forward to the premiere.

There's a new 3minute 21second official video up with new footage and some cast/creator's comments:
    First Look | GOTHAM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REoELMS5tXc

There's a comment at YouTube by RogueScholarBlue that I very much agree with about Camren Bicondova's "look" being great for Catwoman. While Camren doesn't have dark hair, she does have green eyes and bears a striking resemblance to Michelle Pfeiffer, to me the gold standard of movie/tv Catwomen despite not having Selina's black mane.

My concern is her voice and her acting. She's right around the age when her voice might be changing and she's only acted in a dance movie, Battlefield America (2012). In this short interview from 2 years ago she talks about how hard it was for her to "channel her inner bad girl" since she's a really nice kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbAT3OIclZc

I really hope Camren can channel both good and bad to get that eclectic, plays by her own rules quality that Selina has always had (except under Carlton and Nocenti, those weren't/aren't Selina IMHO).

Plus, having this be GCPD focused with Godon and Bullock starring along with young versions of famous good/bad/grey guys/gals is fantastic. Pure super-hero/villain shoes don't seem to make it in prime time and just doing Gotham Central might leave viewers, both comic and non-comic types, yearning for something more. I think the trick will be getting the balance right, not too much police procedural and not too much pandering to big name comic stars.
    Last edited by heyevaxx; 05-14-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heyevaxx View Post
    There's a new 3minute 21second official video up with new footage and some cast/creator's comments:
    First Look | GOTHAM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REoELMS5tXc

There's a comment at YouTube by RogueScholarBlue that I very much agree with about Camren Bicondova's "look" being great for Catwoman. While Camren doesn't have dark hair, she does have green eyes and bears a striking resemblance to Michelle Pfeiffer, to me the gold standard of movie/tv Catwomen despite not having Selina's black mane.

My concern is her voice and her acting. She's right around the age when her voice might be changing and she's only acted in a dance movie, Battlefield America (2012). In this short interview from 2 years ago she talks about how hard it was for her to "channel her inner bad girl" since she's a really nice kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbAT3OIclZc

I really hope Camren can channel both good and bad to get that eclectic, plays by her own rules quality that Selina has always had (except under Carlton and Nocenti, those weren't/aren't Selina IMHO).

Plus, having this be GCPD focused with Godon and Bullock starring along with young versions of famous good/bad/grey guys/gals is fantastic. Pure super-hero/villain shoes don't seem to make it in prime time and just doing Gotham Central might leave viewers, both comic and non-comic types, yearning for something more. I think the trick will be getting the balance right, not too much police procedural and not too much pandering to big name comic stars.

I'm very much hoping this is like the new Battlestar Galactica (at least through s3e12): a gritty, realistic, story-arch focused show that makes you forget about the fantasy setting with interesting stories and compelling acting.
    Oh, God, no.

I don't have high hopes for Gotham, but I wouldn't want it to be anything like Battlestar Galactica.
    Last edited by The Red Monk; 05-14-2014 at 05:58 PM.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

The new trailer makes it even more interesting.

BANNED

Gotham really has to impress the viewers because fox is paying for the rights to use these characters and they can't take it too slow when it's all one big risk for them

arrow and the flash are on a network that has lower expectations than others and since the cw is closely tied in with Warner Brothers they don't have to pay to use the characters

Agents Of Shield is backed up by ABC Marvel Studios And Disney....it's practically an advertisement for the marvel cinematic universe(tying into the films and the aftermath of each film)

gotham has no safety net no back ups whatsoever....they have to attract casuals and comic fans alike they can't afford to take too many risks when this show existing on fox is already a risk

Here's Camren Bicondova on playing young Selina in Gotham:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhza7ryj07k#t=0m31s
    Very nice, composed answer for a 14 year old. And her voice is changing quite a bit compared to older interviews I've heard, it sounds good. I'm very interested in how Selina is written, directed and acted. My hunch is there might not be much screen time for her considering the big cast and focus on Gordon and Bullock. But hopefully, the bits of Selina we get will be decent.

Mini Catwoman and Mini Poison Ivy in costume? Looks awful..

IGN has posted an interview with young Selina Kyle (Camren Bicondova) and young Bruce Wayne (David Mazouz).

The teen actors seem to have a good rapport which should transfer nicely to the show.

Gotham Stars Camren Bicondova and David Mazouz on Playing the Young Selina Kyle and Bruce Wayne
    Catwoman and Batman Begin again.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/...nd-bruce-wayne

sorry, naysayers, but the show is going to be GREAT.

the people working on this show know what they are doing. That's pretty obvious/

oh, and Camren Bicondova will be the world's biggest star within 5 years. That's pretty obvious.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Default Gotham VS Smallville....Gotham Appreciation

Well it is only a few months away from FOX's Gotham Series hitting the airways.

Are any of you excited about it being the next Smallville? (before anyone puts down Smallville it did bring a lot of fans on board that were not comic fans to begin with for Kal) ... like me LOL

Do you see it being a great success for Batman or a TV series that will be easily forgotten?

I for one am very excited about it and the few clips that I have seen have made me want to watch it from day one and also keep up on the Batman!

Thoughts?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Well it is only a few months away from FOX's Gotham Series hitting the airways.

Are any of you excited about it being the next Smallville? (before anyone puts down Smallville it did bring a lot of fans on board that were not comic fans to begin with for Kal) ... like me LOL

Do you see it being a great success for Batman or a TV series that will be easily forgotten?

I for one am very excited about it and the few clips that I have seen have made me want to watch it from day one and also keep up on the Batman!

Thoughts?
    I don't think it will be like Smallville. Unless they SORAS the kid in a few seasons. The expectation won't be there for him to dawn the suit and be Batman as long as he's a young kid. That's what plagued Smallville. You had an audience ready and waiting for Superman after three or so seasons. And it only got worse as they moved to Metropolis, introduced Lois, brought in Braniac, a more evil Luthor, Zod, Doomsday. And Gordon's the main character at least for now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    sorry, naysayers, but the show is going to be GREAT.

the people working on this show know what they are doing. That's pretty obvious/

oh, and Camren Bicondova will be the world's biggest star within 5 years. That's pretty obvious.

I like Camren and wish her the best of luck but I hope they don't make her grow up too soon.

Incredible Member

The show is going to be great! The trailer looks wonderful, as do all the actors. IMHO this show will be one of the big hits of the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    The show is going to be great! The trailer looks wonderful, as do all the actors. IMHO this show will be one of the big hits of the fall.
    COMPLETELY agree! Can't wait.

There were two VIP cast and press screenings in NYC and LA for Gotham that were "seemingly very well received." Sounds good!

There are about 20 pics with Selina, Harvey and Bruce representing in LA and the rest of the Gothamites in NYC.

Here's the article and some choice pics.

Photos: The Gotham Cast At Last Night’s Screenings June 13, 2014
    Cast members and producers from Gotham joined members of the press for two seemingly very well received screenings of the Gotham pilot last night (June 12).
    The East Coast “Tastemaker” screening in New York was held at the Crosby Street Hotel, while the West Coast event took place at the iPic Theatre in Westwood, California.

PS - some select press quotes:
    Gotham Premiere Episode: First Early Reviews Are Positive

Examiner columnist Phyllis Thomas tweeted, “Loved the screening of @Gotham @ben_mckenzie and @donallogue are the ultimate bad ass team. Can't forget @jadapsmith and Fish. This fall”

AP writer Alicia Rancilio tweeted, “Just caught an advance screening of the #Gotham premiere. Loved it. So good. Excited for @ben_mckenzie and the rest of the cast.”

TV Guide editor Adam Bryant tweeted, “Had a great time at the @Gotham screening. Very intrigued to see more. Great chatting with you again, @ben_mckenzie!”

Give Me My Remote’s Marisa Roffman tweeted, “Loved seeing #Gotham on the big-screen. Gorgeous show, and Ben McKenzie and Donal Logue make great on-screen partners. Excited for ep 2!”
    Last edited by heyevaxx; 06-14-2014 at 12:59 AM.