Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Why Does the MU allow characters like Vision and the Original Human Torch to run free?

i know that there are strong opinions on the humanity aspect of robotic characters like vision and original human torch, but in-universe is there a reason they are not held accountable by the public?

what i mean is that they have no identity, and are not citizens of any country. essentially they are weapons that are in the employ of groups like avengers and shield. does the average marvel citizen know they are not human? if they do, then why are they just ok with them running around freely?

has this topic been addressed in the comics before? in a universe where creatures like ultron have ravaged the entire earth, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the world governments to ask for some control policies on these characters?

Some nut-jobs tried to suicide bomb the Avengers when Vision started dating Wanda, and the world's intelligence organizations later joined forces and had him dismantled and memory wiped when he was with the West Coast Avengers.

I've seen bits indicating that non-human sentients, like androids or aliens, do have legal personhood in the MU.

As for anti-android bigotry, are you familiar at all with the Vision's history? Because that was a major part of his arc during the Englehart run, at least.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

i'm familiar with quicksilver's bigotry towards the vision, but i was more curious about laws established or committees formed to police the artificial beings. aside from vision getting dismantled, has there been any indication for the general public (about their opinions)?

Incredible Member

I think people in the MU New York would be more concerned with having an intact roof over their heads with all these frequent city destroying superhuman battles than to complain about android-human sexual relations...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i'm familiar with quicksilver's bigotry towards the vision, but i was more curious about laws established or committees formed to police the artificial beings. aside from vision getting dismantled, has there been any indication for the general public (about their opinions)?
    Avengers A:I touched on it a little and would have probably explored it more before it was cancelled. I'd give it a read.

Vision and Torch do have civilian identities though. Torch was even a cop in the 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    I think people in the MU New York would be more concerned with having an intact roof over their heads with all these frequent city destroying superhuman battles than to complain about android-human sexual relations...
    yikes, well. that is one issue i suppose. but i would think people would fear a singularity type disaster? being exposed to ultron, the mu citizens must be at least a little wary about other artificial intelligence? out of concern for safety mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Tanner View Post
    Avengers A:I touched on it a little and would have probably explored it more before it was cancelled. I'd give it a read.
    thanks! can you tell me what was discovered?

BANNED

SHIELD basically made a division for policing robots, and basically did what they do best: Nothing good.

BANNED

i know that there are strong opinions on the humanity aspect of robotic characters like vision and original human torch, but in-universe is there a reason they are not held accountable by the public?

what i mean is that they have no identity, and are not citizens of any country. essentially they are weapons that are in the employ of groups like avengers and shield. does the average marvel citizen know they are not human? if they do, then why are they just ok with them running around freely?

has this topic been addressed in the comics before? in a universe where creatures like ultron have ravaged the entire earth, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the world governments to ask for some control policies on these characters?
    In the Marvel Universe, they are recognized as individuals with free will. Until one of them becomes a criminal, there is no reason for them to be monitored. Plus, they are both
    high-profile enough to cause attention. Dragon Man is as sentient as they are, but hardly anyone knows he exists. Therefore, he is treated differently, or has been in FF lately.
    We still don't know what is going to be the outcome of everything going on there, and what Dragon Man's status will be when it's over. It was shown in Avengers AI that SHIELD
    doesn't consider artificial intelligence to be as valuable as organic, but then again, SHIELD has been doing a lot of things recently that are contrary to their purpose. We will just
    have to see how the AI community is treated from here forward before making judgements, because it's new, and I think SHIELD in the comics is going to be proven as corrupt
    as the movie version. When all is said and done, why shouldn't all of them be treated like any other person? Is that what you are advocating? Locking them up until they are needed?
    For a mutant sympathizer, you don't have a problem discriminating, do you? Is that what the X-Books teach these days? Screw everybody else as long as we get ours?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    In the Marvel Universe, they are recognized as individuals with free will. Until one of them becomes a criminal, there is no reason for them to be monitored.
    hey! not sure where the animosity is coming from, but fears of ai or the singularity is a very common theme in science fiction. battlestar galactica is pretty much based on robots taking over and destroying humanity. in wall-e, robots have taken over.

my question isnt whether people accept them, it's are people scared of them? are there laws in place to govern them so another ultron disaster does not happen? who is holding them accountable? or do people in the mu genuinely not care, or are just ignorant of their nature?

This is the same universe that people hate mutants but love folks like the FF just roll with it.
    We need better comics

good point, but i guess i'm just curious how the mu works in general.

does the average mu person know that vision and original human torch are robots? or do they think they are superhumans?

good point, but i guess i'm just curious how the mu works in general.

does the average mu person know that vision and original human torch are robots? or do they think they are superhumans?
    I don't think the average person even knows that there was a Human Torch before Johnny Storm, let alone a robot one.

And this topic is reminding me of the short-lived Livewire androids who were created to destroy rogue robots and LMDs. Basically, made to police their own kind without getting the humans involved. Too bad all but two of them got wiped out.
    Last edited by Myetche; 09-08-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    I don't think the average person even knows that there was a Human Torch before Johnny Storm, let alone a robot one.
    sure they know. he fought in WWII. he killed Hitler. he has a camp named after him and everything.