Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    hey! not sure where the animosity is coming from, but fears of ai or the singularity is a very common theme in science fiction. battlestar galactica is pretty much based on robots taking over and destroying humanity. in wall-e, robots have taken over.

my question isnt whether people accept them, it's are people scared of them? are there laws in place to govern them so another ultron disaster does not happen? who is holding them accountable? or do people in the mu genuinely not care, or are just ignorant of their nature?
    The problem with making rules and regulations in a story is that they would just be ignored by the next writer for the sake of their story. That's why I dislike when the writers (or more likely editors) at modern Marvel try to make sweeping changes to the status quo. They are only good for the one story being told, and have little ramifications on the MU as a whole. That's not to say such stories shouldn't be told (I think you have actually hit on a subject that I have never really seen explored in the MU, and would lead to some interesting stories), but that TPTB at Marvel need to be more consistent than they have been in the last 15 years or so, and actually make writers stick to what others wrote before them... of course, now I am getting to a different topic altogether.

Long answer short: No, there has been no attempt to show laws governing AIs in the MU, as far as I know.

BANNED

The public is concerned if the story calls for it. But with heroes and villains of all shapes and sizes all over the place, robots seem the least of anyone's worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    And this topic is reminding me of the short-lived Livewire androids who were created to destroy rogue robots and LMDs. Basically, made to police their own kind without getting the humans involved. Too bad all but two of them got wiped out.
    I'm happy to see that people still remember the Livewires! It's one of those hidden gems that Marvel puts out for six issues or so and then promptly forgets. I hope we get to see them pop up again sometime.

-Pav, who would (in a perfect world) have them as associates/antagonists of the Runaways...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

i know that there are strong opinions on the humanity aspect of robotic characters like vision and original human torch, but in-universe is there a reason they are not held accountable by the public?

what i mean is that they have no identity, and are not citizens of any country. essentially they are weapons that are in the employ of groups like avengers and shield. does the average marvel citizen know they are not human? if they do, then why are they just ok with them running around freely?

has this topic been addressed in the comics before? in a universe where creatures like ultron have ravaged the entire earth, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the world governments to ask for some control policies on these characters?
    P Beaqcsue they are people individuals t with their own independent thoughts and wills. It is what a civilized society that has to deal with AIs would do,

hey! not sure where the animosity is coming from, but fears of ai or the singularity is a very common theme in science fiction. battlestar galactica is pretty much based on robots taking over and destroying humanity. in wall-e, robots have taken over.

my question isnt whether people accept them, it's are people scared of them? are there laws in place to govern them so another ultron disaster does not happen? who is holding them accountable? or do people in the mu genuinely not care, or are just ignorant of their nature?
    The current laws handle the situation without modifying them for AIs, one set of laws for all people is always the best approach

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    The current laws handle the situation without modifying them for AIs, one set of laws for all people is always the best approach
    but ais are essentially computer programs. if they wanted, they could network their minds into our existing technology and wreak havoc on life as we know it. this is what ultron did already, and theoretically the same could be said for any ai. so is it really fair to say laws are the same for them? after all humans cannot network and multiply their minds to overtake technology. wipe out banks, hospitals, and air traffic.

Extraordinary Member

I'm fairly certain that both Vision and Jim Hammond are legal persons in the eyes of the law.

I'm 100% certain that Jim Hammond is. He was briefly a P.I. after WW2. He'd of needed to get legal status to pull that off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I'm fairly certain that both Vision and Jim Hammond are legal persons in the eyes of the law.

I'm 100% certain that Jim Hammond is. He was briefly a P.I. after WW2. He'd of needed to get legal status to pull that off.
    Pretty much this. Both were given security clearance by the US and the UN when they became Avengers and both had thorough background checks. So the neither the US or UN have a problem with them being A.I.s living among organic beings.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 09-08-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

have there ever been stories with original human torch where this was addressed? has there ever been any regulation or legislation on what to do if he gets out of control?

Astonishing Member

i know that there are strong opinions on the humanity aspect of robotic characters like vision and original human torch, but in-universe is there a reason they are not held accountable by the public?

what i mean is that they have no identity, and are not citizens of any country. essentially they are weapons that are in the employ of groups like avengers and shield. does the average marvel citizen know they are not human? if they do, then why are they just ok with them running around freely?

has this topic been addressed in the comics before? in a universe where creatures like ultron have ravaged the entire earth, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the world governments to ask for some control policies on these characters?
    They are one of the many "weapons" in the employ of people/organization they trust.For the most part, they have only seen these "weapons" saving lives.

but ais are essentially computer programs. if they wanted, they could network their minds into our existing technology and wreak havoc on life as we know it. this is what ultron did already, and theoretically the same could be said for any ai. so is it really fair to say laws are the same for them? after all humans cannot network and multiply their minds to overtake technology. wipe out banks, hospitals, and air traffic.
    Humans can make bombs, tech and bio-weapons that kill other people.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    They are one of the many "weapons" in the employ of people/organization they trust.For the most part, they have only seen these "weapons" saving lives.
    right but i'm assuming in the mu ideas like the singularity concept exist. and that they have things like battlestar galactica and wall-e. to me, it's naive to assume everyone in the mu is just OK with humanoid computers running around with no safety protocols...especially since they've real-life experience terrorism under them already.

BANNED

SHIELD is already trying to murder Dragon Man, a guy who literally can't hurt anyone.

have there ever been stories with original human torch where this was addressed? has there ever been any regulation or legislation on what to do if he gets out of control?
    Presumably the same laws/contingency plans for human superpowered individuals who run out of control would cover them. I mean, whether it's Johnny Storm or Jim Hammond running amok, the basic plan to take him out is probably the same.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    Replace Human with "sentient and self-aware being" and you have Jackpot. In theory the MU need such laws like other things but for the freedom of the authors they didn't introduce such stuff.

Yeah the idea that robots(AI's) taken over is very common, they did in real live they made some progress but they can only do the tricks which you have taught them.
    Here some video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZPRsrwumQ . In games they evolving very fast because of the fix environment the programmers can optimize them very good. e.g. LOL's Doom Bots

I can at least say my own bots never tried to take over MUHA