Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default One answer each, the best Spider-Man story ever is...

Mine:

Amazing Fantasy #15.

Remember, you can only choose one.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Spider-Men by Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli

Incredible Member

Amazing Spider-Man #90 - the death of Captain Stacy

(With Amazing Spider-Man #33 - the Final Chapter of the Master Planner Saga a VERY close second. Way too hard to choose between those two issues.)
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 10-01-2023 at 10:26 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man #90 - the death of Captain Stacy

(With Amazing Spider-Man #33 - the Final Chapter of the Master Planner Saga a VERY close second. Way too hard to choose between those two issues.)
    Hello, Dan Slott. Thanks for replying. Your Spider-Man run from Big Time to Superior Spider-Man was the first time I read Spider-Man in real time. Right enjoyed it. Added The Superior Spider-Man Returns and The Superior Spider-Man series to my pull list. Looking forward to both, Paul.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 10-01-2023 at 10:51 AM.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Amazing Spider-Man #329 - "Power Prey"

"The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

There's too many for me to really narrow it down, but if I HAD to pick one, I think "Kraven's Last Hunt" had the most impact on me.

Mighty Member

I agree that there are way too many. If I had to pick one that had the greatest impact on me, it would be Amazing Spider-man #122. As a kid, I read a reprint of it that came with a Marvel Legends Green Goblin, and that was probably the issue that single-handedly made me a Spider-man super fan. It's such an excellent psychological exploration of the characters. The death of the Green Goblin and that epilogue still give me chills. (Side note: Hasbro should really start including comics with the toys again.)

Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 10-01-2023 at 11:55 AM.

Mighty Member

Something I think might be on a lot of people's long lists but not their #1: Spectacular Spider-man 189. I picked it up because it was the 30th anniversary issue (I was only reading ASM at the time), but immediately went back to get the Child Within and stuck around thru Harry's death. As an anniversary issue, it had to have a compelling one-in-done story (it's certainly the best of the 4 that came out that year) and say *something* about the first 30 years of Spidey's history, and I think it really hit all the notes a good Spider-man story has to have (drama, action, the tug of Peter's life vs his role as Spidey).
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Spider-Man vs Wolverine
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

The Night Gwen Stacy Died.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I agree that there are way too many. If I had to pick one that had the greatest impact on me, it would be Amazing Spider-man #122. As a kid, I read a reprint of it that came with a Marvel Legends Green Goblin, and that was probably the issue that single-handedly made me a Spider-man super fan. It's such an excellent psychological exploration of the characters. The death of the Green Goblin and that epilogue still give me chills. (Side note: Hasbro should really start including comics with the toys again.)

Great choice Spider-Tiger, was tempted to say issues 121 and 122 myself, and totally agree, just too many to narrow down to one story..

I'll offer up issues 39 and 40...after Ditko I loved Romita Senior's art and became the definitive for me..and anyway the Green Goblin learning Spidey is Pete, and the fight outside Aunt May’s house, oof! Pete carried away by Gobby, and of course his reveal..Norman Osborn!

Earth shaking drama with shocks!

Personally I don't think Maximum Carnage gets enough love. That first one was everything we wanted at the time.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I am going to go for AMS 292 (the one where MJ accepts).
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Coming Home, JMS/JRJR/Hanna

I'll forgive a thousand crying doc dooms cause when JMS was on, he was on!

Astonishing Member

Way too many to pick.

I guess, gun to my head, I’d have to go with either Spec #200 (Death of Harry) or ASM#400 (passing of Aunt May (unfortunately retconned)). You know anything by JM DeMatteis is going to be gold though.