Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

ASM# 400 for me too. There are sooooo many great stories but I thought that was such a beautiful, heartfelt send-off. Should never have been retconned.

Untold Tales of Spider-Man Annual '96

friend of the helpless Deacon Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    when JMS was on, he was on!
    no truer words were spoken! i'm always surprised by how hit-and-miss i find his superman stories, given that his spider-man comics are some of the greatest.

i don't know if i have a favourite-- more like a bunch of favourites i can cycle between-- but up there is the original ASM #33 (the final chapter), ASM #500 (happy birthday), and ASM #230 (nothing can stop the juggernaut). there are a bunch of others i like just as much, probably, but then i'd be here talking about them all night!

The Night Gwen Stacy Died and the Follow-up: The Death of the Green Goblin.

Going with the Clone Saga, USM#s 97-105
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Night Gwen Stacy Died.
    For years, that was my #1 before Amazing Fantasy knocked it into second place.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Coming Home, JMS/JRJR/Hanna
    In my top five.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    ASM# 400 for me too. There are sooooo many great stories but I thought that was such a beautiful, heartfelt send-off. Should never have been retconned.
    Agreed even though we'd have lost the best version, JMS.

Cool

It's very hard to choose, but if I have to pick one -

The Night Gwen Stacy Died

followed closely by -

Amazing Fantasy #15

and then justly as closely by -

Kraven's Last Hunt

Honorable mention; my favorite modern Spidey story by far, meaning one written since c.2000 is -

Superior Spider-Man
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-01-2023 at 09:14 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It's very hard to choose, but if I have to pick one -

The Night Gwen Stacy Died

followed closely by -

Amazing Fantasy #15

and then justly as closely by -

Kraven's Last Hunt

Honorable mention; my favorite modern Spidey story by far, meaning one written since c.2000 is -

Superior Spider-Man
    My favorite post-BND Spidey story is either Unscheduled Stop (ASM#578-579, I think) or the Spider-Man: Life Story miniseries. If I can only pick one, probably have to go with Lifestory.

Spider-Man: Blue had a lasting impact on me; I read it when I was a teenager, I hadn't even gotten the chance to read The Night Gwen Stacy Died yet (it was harder to find back then) and still this broke my heart. I have re-read this story so many times that I might as well get a new copy because mine is falling apart.

Spectacular Spider-Man #200 had a similar effect on me (well, the whole Harry Osborn Saga by DeMatteis and Buscema), especially with the silent ending.

And, in more recent years, I bought the Stern/Romita Jr run in ASM, which became my favorite Spider-Man run ever. If I had to choose one storyline, it would be The Hobgoblin Saga, even when the closure was written by DeFalco and pencilled by Frenz -of the immediate story, at least. I know that Peter David was the one that finally revealed the secret- and later on the whole mystery about the true identity of the Hobgoblin was ruined.

Honorable mention to other classic Spider-Man stories, such as If This Be My Destiny...! and Kraven's Last Hunt
    Last edited by Chubistian; 10-02-2023 at 12:27 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I always say Amazing Fantasy #15 is a perfect comic, so its hard to choose anything else.

That said, it was a brutal choice. It just edged out the below, all stuff I've read a hundred times and will read 100 more.

ASM #3 (1st Doc Ock), ASM #121-122 (death of Gwen/Norman), ASM #147-149 (OG Clone Saga ends), ASM #238-239 (1st Hobgoblin, but I'd want to take the whole saga), Kraven's Last Hunt, ASM #300 (1st Venom), ASM #334-339 (Return of the Sinister Six), SSM #200 (death of Harry), Web of Carnage (Ben + Carnage!), Hobgoblin Lives #1-3, ASM #682-687 (Ends of the Earth, as I can't just pick the whole Big Time era).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Way too many to pick.

I guess, gun to my head, I’d have to go with either Spec #200 (Death of Harry) or ASM#400 (passing of Aunt May (unfortunately retconned)). You know anything by JM DeMatteis is going to be gold though.
    Both of those pale in comparison to Ultimate Spider-Man #45 - “Guilt”.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    The death issues are hilariously overrated honestly. Especially with how little narrative weight they have.

Fantastic Member

God. It’s really hard to choose. I think best is probably Spectacular Spider-Man #200. My personal favorite ever is Coming Home, but that issue really is just so perfectly done

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Both of those pale in comparison to Ultimate Spider-Man #45 - “Guilt”.
    Such a great issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man #90 - the death of Captain Stacy

(With Amazing Spider-Man #33 - the Final Chapter of the Master Planner Saga a VERY close second. Way too hard to choose between those two issues.)
    Thats a good choice. Some serious old school magic in that story.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I always say Amazing Fantasy #15 is a perfect comic, so its hard to choose anything else.

That said, it was a brutal choice. It just edged out the below, all stuff I've read a hundred times and will read 100 more.

ASM #3 (1st Doc Ock), ASM #121-122 (death of Gwen/Norman), ASM #147-149 (OG Clone Saga ends), ASM #238-239 (1st Hobgoblin, but I'd want to take the whole saga), Kraven's Last Hunt, ASM #300 (1st Venom), ASM #334-339 (Return of the Sinister Six), SSM #200 (death of Harry), Web of Carnage (Ben + Carnage!), Hobgoblin Lives #1-3, ASM #682-687 (Ends of the Earth, as I can't just pick the whole Big Time era).
    Yeah I'd like to have picked the Hobgoblin saga as well because I loved the mystery but because it would be many stories from ASM 238 through Hobgoblin lives, I thought it would be too much as well