Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Current State of the Avengers Comic...

Hey Everyone

Thought I'd give my views on the current team and series run so far.

Hoping to spark some conversation around this.

Five Issues in and I find myself really wanting to love this book but I'm not. It's not awful but it's also not gripping in the way a really good comic book should.

I'll start with the cast - On the surface it's a pretty strong team - My issue with the 'team' is that the interaction doesn't feel at all personal.

There are so many things that could be happening with the characters but aren't. It feels like Carol just decided to pick a few ex-Avengers and drag them back together without any real plan or justification. I'm not crazy abut her leading the team - In recent years her character has (in my opinion) become overbearing and forceful but lacks strategy, which given her military background, feels pretty silly.

I think there were other contenders for a spot on the team but since art imitates TV i understand why these heroes were picked.

Carol and Wanda are long overdue a conversation. Wanda and Vision are also overdue a conversation. I think these are things really long time fans would appreciate.

There's no balance between action and characterisation - its action all the way. Why would we care about these new villain's ? Do such world smashing villain's really work in an Avengers team book ? Haven't big threats like Thanos and Korvak always been a slow build?

I'm reading each issue in a matter of minutes. I shouldn't be. I should be taking my time. Studying the art, going back to see if I've missed anything. But I haven't. The arts ok, nothing special. The book is spoiled with overuse of big panels. The story isn't progressing quickly enough - It feels like if this was a George Perez book then the first 5 issues would have been squeezed into the first issue.

Comics aren't cheap to buy anymore. Given that single fact, I think as fans we deserve better.

We really don't need new one dimensional villains at this point, what we need is solid story telling.

Kang in all his glory, The Zodiac, The Masters of Evil, Morgan Lay Fay, Dr Doom, Ultron, The Legion of the Unliving - So many interesting possibilities. So many ex-Avengers floating around in limbo doing nothing.

I totally get that this new book is a refreshing change from the dry and uninspiring run which went before and I guess I should be grateful that She-Hulk finally got her character back however this new run is already feeling stale.

Feel free to hit back........
    Last edited by PablitoMc; 10-02-2023 at 05:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I agree with a lot of this. I said in another thread that I find the pacing of this run to be strange, because Tom Brevoort has talked about trying to make issues more of a complete experience again, and yet his Avengers run is almost the exact opposite of that.

Maybe after this arc is over we'll get back to some character interactions, but so far we've had very few. My biggest questions about an Avengers run are all about combinations of characters -- how does X get along with Y, and so on -- and except for Sam and T'Challa I haven't seen enough to get me interested.

Astonishing Member

It was the down moments that drew me to the Avengers. I loved the chats, the crushes, the jealousies, the good time and bad when they weren't Avenging. Without that element, it's not Avengers to me.

I'm reminded of the avengers run around 200, when the stories got super weird. Fighting elf queens and such, when Tigra was an avenger, and hank Pym had a breakdown. I started the current run, feeling rather dubious, because the avengers are fighting these cosmic menaces again, and I just can't get into it. I also miss the days of the run of the mill supervillain battles we used to have.
    Last edited by protege; 10-03-2023 at 07:31 AM.

Issue 1 was great. Since then, it’s been almost entirely action. A 10 minute read for each issue. At least the most recent one (#4), did a nice job at filling us in a little bit on the background of the villains. But it seems like there’s a lot to cover with only one issue left in the arc. Would have liked to see this paced a little bit better.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Issue 1 was great. Since then, it’s been almost entirely action. A 10 minute read for each issue. At least the most recent one (#4), did a nice job at filling us in a little bit on the background of the villains. But it seems like there’s a lot to cover with only one issue left in the arc. Would have liked to see this paced a little bit better.
    This is how I feel about the matter. This run with a few nitpicks has been going along swimmingly.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I also miss the days of the run of the mill supervillain battles we used to have.
    This right here. Im also underwhelmed so far. The best part has been the city having a personality.

I haven't been following the book issue by issue. I prefer tradewaiting nowadays, however, I can coment a bit on some of the points you made. First, the line-up is a step up from previous line-ups, however, without the characterization, it's not good enough. I agree, Carol nowadays is not the leader I imagine would work well for the Avengers. I doubt they'll show her shortcommings as a leader as storypoints, though. I can't say anything yet about the threats the team is facing, however, a good Avengers book, for me, is able to juggle new villains and classic enemies, as well as showcase as much former members as possible. Let's see how they do that in this run. From the previews, the art, I'm sorry to say, while competent, doesn't really excite me much. Not enough details, occasionally too muddy, and some of the costumes still seem a bit odd to me. Still, I'll be able to form a more complete opinion once I've read the first TPB. I'm still excited for it, though, something rare for me these days.

Peace

The hard part for me is the synergy they want to create between the MCU and the comic book. Just because certain characters' stories are done in the MCU, doesn't mean that their stories are done in the comics.

And I also miss the down time where they sit around and act like 'normal' people.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

I agree with the points raised a few times in this thread...I like the line up/team, but am not impressed with Carol being team leader, and the art is not good, it's why I've been picking up the title, but mostly stashing it in the box after a quick look rather than a proper read.

My understanding that is isn't the team the writer wanted to write? He was forced to use these characters?

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    My understanding that is isn't the team the writer wanted to write? He was forced to use these characters?
    Pretty much. The official term was “chosen by committee” when discussing the cast selection.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Extraordinary Member

I have mixed feelings about the synergy/chosen by committee aspect because I very much suspect that's why the Scarlet Witch is on the team, and it's very meaningful to me to finally have her back on the main Avengers team for the first time since Avengers Disassembled.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I'm not feeling this current Avengers run too much.

Last issue in particular just felt like filler.

I also don't feel Carol as leader of the team either but it's still early.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    And I also miss the down time where they sit around and act like 'normal' people.
    Same here. Many examples throughout the years, but a personal favorite will always be...

Avengers #14