Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

It seems that what most of the people don’t like is that this Avengers run isn’t like the ones when they were growing up. I’m enjoying it so far. It is so far a head of Aaron’s it’s not even funny. It has been more action than character interaction, but I am sure that will come in time. As I stated earlier I only have some nitpicks. I like Villa’s art a lot. I thought it was great Carol made Tony second in command given their history. I really intrigued to see how they are going to wrap up with the Ashen Combine next issue.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 10-06-2023 at 09:35 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The last issue I read was when Captain Falcon and Black Panther were searching the space city and it talked to them. I do like how McKay portrays T'Challa cuz after the shit that happened in his book I'd be bitter as hell too.

Also I think the book is okay so far but I'm still euphoric about Aaron leaving. That run was rancid.
    "Cable was right!"

I'm enjoying this book a lot so far but I typically only like the Avengers runs "Avengers fans" don't, like Bendis'. The current series is already 100x better than the complete nonsense Aaron was putting out. Half of these comments are the typical wah wah I don't like Captain Marvel complaints. We get it. You can always drop the book if the character offends you so.

I am very much a traditional Avengers fan and I'm absolutely loving this run. Jed Mackay is pretty much my favorite writer currently working for Marvel and bias aside I think he's knocking it out of the park with this first arc.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by PablitoMc View Post
    When I re-read the Busiek and Perez Era there are somethings which feel a little bit dated now.

I loved the first arc - Very very strong and so great to see all of the current living members get back together - loads of great character moments - Moondragon and Tigra's interaction as one example. They rebuilt Carol Danvers with a fresh approach and Warbird was great! The introduction of Firestar and Justice as trainee Avengers. And the Legion of the Unliving story which coincides with Halloween was just wonderful. Loved seeing the dead Avengers again. Really powerful stuff!

What I wasn't keen on was the Triathlon story which I felt dragged on and then went nowhere. Also I felt Silver claw was a missed opportunity.

But lets all be completely honest - Issue one was sensational and had more content that 10 issues of the current run will have.
    Unfortunately, the world has changed so much, and so fast, that even the best comics may feel dated to the current reader. However, I still prefer the pace of old comics.

As for Triathlon and Silver Claw, I'll agree that Silver Claw never did offer much and was kind of a wasted opportunity. I disagree on Triathlon, though. His connection to the 3D-Man, explored not only in Avengers, but also in The Innitiative and in Agents of Atlas, already, IMHO, made him stand out as a Legacy character (though I didn't like him taking the 3D-Man name and costume for himself. I prefered him as Triathlon). And his story didn't drag on and went nowhere. It was a slow burn story (which brought to the table the discussion of the representation of minorities in the Avengers squads, to my recollection, only really brought up by the "token" inclusion of the Falcon by the government, and Rage in the Larry Hama's brief run), that culminated in issue #50, in the midst of the Kang Dynasty storyline. Honestly, I wish Pagan and Lord Templar had had more milage as Avengers villains. IMHO, they had a lot of potential.

Peace

Incredible Member

I've really enjoyed MacKay's Moon Knight run, so I had high hopes for his Avengers. But, so far, it's been pretty disappointing. As previously mentioned, it just feels like a lot of action figures doing stuff.

Just my opinion, but it's a combination of the MCU-ing of the comics (gotta have the big, recognizable names) and the Hickman run. I really, really enjoyed what Hickman did. I was a change from more traditional Avengers storytelling at that time. But, his focus was on the big picture story building. Not so much focus on the interpersonal (Sam/Bobby and Steve/Tony did get some play). And, again, it worked for that time because it was new and different. It feels like Aaron and now MacKay have either personally or via Marvel-induced pressure felt the need to work on that scale.

Maybe I am just old, but I really loved those days of fighting super-villains while having some interpersonal tension and drama. The last few years have just felt like "Here is a giant threat... fight!".

And just to date myself and my frame of reference, but my most influential Avengers period was the Stern/Buscema run, with Cap/Wasp/Herc/Black Knight/Capt Marvel/She-Hulk/Namor/Starfox/Dr Druid/Thor, in various combinations. Big names, but some of the "lesser lights" in there for some different chemistry.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The last issue I read was when Captain Falcon and Black Panther were searching the space city and it talked to them. I do like how McKay portrays T'Challa cuz after the shit that happened in his book I'd be bitter as hell too.

Also I think the book is okay so far but I'm still euphoric about Aaron leaving. That run was rancid.
    Aaron's run was awful.

I just read the "Avengers Forever" storyline in collected form.

It was disappointing. The entire storyline was hollow because it almost entirely centered around "variants" of the Avengers.

So far, McKay's run is better than whatever Aaron was trying to write.

Quote Originally Posted by Jely4me View Post
    I’m referencing the current line-up, most of them have projects forthcoming, to keep that non existent new reader on alert, and the characters in the public eye..which I find dull. I’m an old quintet/Jarvis/mansion fan. And while the author may be voicing Stark differently in your opinion, I haven’t cared for the character since the Knaufs and Fraction, so much so that I gave up on the book, I just can’t tolerate the current take on the character, like I did also with Coates’s horrendous Cap, which hasn’t been good since Brubaker. Gave him a shot, but found it wanting. I totally ignored this last volume, and JMS barely moves the needle. I’m just disappointed that after 49 of my 52 years, the end is nigh for me, the thrill gone. I was told to give Mackay (sp) a shot, the new Hulk too…pretty meh thus far…
    At least to me a lot of these characters have been part of my favorite Avenger rosters so I don't really mind it so much, and I think Mackay has a good handle on Tony.

I'm enjoying the book. Aaron's run was unreadable in my opinion and I dropped the book.

It's still early days so I think things will improve. McKay's moonknight book is amazing if that's anything to go by.

I'm actually bored of the traditional MCU Avengers and really want to see some of the reserves get some spot light. Justice, Moondragon etc. Maybe further down the line McKay will be "allowed" to bring in people he actually wants to write.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

I was a big fan of the new Avengers with Brian Bendis & I like the idea of the Uncanny Avengers but they are alright but now, I'm not eagerly awaiting for the books my ideal rosters for Avengers & Uncanny Avengers would be:
    Avengers:
    Captain America
    Spider-Man
    Scarlet Witch
    Mockingbird
    Storm
    Thor
    Wolverine
    Black Widow
    Uncanny Avengers
    Captain Britain
    Warpath
    Shadowcat
    Spiderwoman
    Hawkeye
    Firestar
    Winter Soldier
    Vindicator
    Last edited by Captain Britain of Earth 20; 10-07-2023 at 09:11 AM. Reason: didn't like the original draft
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Haven’t been a fan since Bendis’ run I always thought Uncanny Avengers needed Cable as a leader with Warpath Vindicatior Mockingbird Hawkeye Nightcrawler and Colossus sort of an Excalibur/X-Force reunion
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

I think Marvel missed their opportunity to reverse the Spider-Man Marriage split when Jason Aaron’s Avengers negated Mephisto’s influence in the Marvel Universe. Peter could have woken up next to MJ one morning just like after House of M finished and we’d have our Spidey back again. But Marvel cling to the dissolved marriage with a passion. Why couldn’t they reverse Peter’s deal with Mephisto like Marvel did reversing Gwen’s kids being with Osborn?

Quote Originally Posted by PablitoMc View Post
    When I re-read the Busiek and Perez Era there are somethings which feel a little bit dated now.

I loved the first arc - Very very strong and so great to see all of the current living members get back together - loads of great character moments - Moondragon and Tigra's interaction as one example. They rebuilt Carol Danvers with a fresh approach and Warbird was great! The introduction of Firestar and Justice as trainee Avengers. And the Legion of the Unliving story which coincides with Halloween was just wonderful. Loved seeing the dead Avengers again. Really powerful stuff!

What I wasn't keen on was the Triathlon story which I felt dragged on and then went nowhere. Also I felt Silver claw was a missed opportunity.

But lets all be completely honest - Issue one was sensational and had more content that 10 issues of the current run will have.
    What was it about the Triathlon and Silver Claw stories that feel dated now?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I haven’t read the last issue yet, but this thread surprises me. The first three issues were much better than the flagship has been in years. I get the complaints that the plot isn’t advancing so fast, but I think the characterisations are very solid and the new threat is interesting.
    To me, issue 4 was a step UP. MY gripe is not a slow plot; it’s the opposite. It takes 10 minutes to read each issue and it’s forgotten just as quickly as it’s read. I’m sure it will read better in trade/hardcover/Omni form. To be clear, it’s not that I don’t like it; I like it just fine and it IS better than what we’ve seen in quite a number of years but I need to see more to make a real judgement.

Characters are fine. For me, Vision and Sam make this appealing on a monthly basis. And I actually love Carol as team leader. I think she’s doing a great job. Someone said she’s cocky? Imagine an Avengers leader being cocky. Will wonders never cease?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver